Maintenance Schedule

Maintenance Schedule

I recently took my car in for service to my local dealer. I asked if they had a comprehensive list of service intervals for my GS-AWD that are not in the owners manual. She said no, that some fluids like the tranny and differential are checked and the fluid color is analyzed by their highly trained technician, and depending on that the decision is made. I was wondering if anybody had that info.

I’m particularly looking for tranny service, front and rear differential, brake fluid, power steering, plugs/wires, Anti-freeze and any other high mileage maintenance requirements, besides the obvious oil change.

your profile indicates your car is a GS350 so that means it is a 2007 or better.

Here's is what I go by for my 2006, same applies to your GS

1. The power steering is electric so no fluid to change there.

2. Tranny is sealed, supposedly it never needs servicing. That is what my dealership says. I don't know if I believe it but they did say if I want them to check it, they drop the pan a little and collect some fluid and have it analyzed (probably by visual only). There is no dipstick on these sealed units so you can't just pull the stick. Doesn't make sence cause there is a drain plug so I think it would be easier to just crack that open a tad and get a few drops. I am at 82k miles and haven't had a check or a problem.

3. Brake fluid I flush every 30k miles or every two years.

4. Front and rear differentials I have drained and filled every 60k miles.

5. Drive belt I replace every 45k miles or three years.

6. Spark plugs will get replaced sometime between 100 and 120k miles. There are no wires, we have coil packs. If you aren't throwing any misfire codes then I wouldn't think about replacing them.

7. Antifreeze is super long life stuff and rated at 100k miles. At 82k mine is still bright cherry pink and there is still some in the overflow tank. I may just have them flush it for good times sake at 90k miles (before next winter).

8. We have a timing chaing so it doesn't need replacing like a timing belt would.

9. PCV valve I would and did change at every 60k miles. Don't know why, just always have done it then.

hope this helps.

steviej

Stevie...great info. not sure why my dealer couldn't tell me this when I asked...that really helps...any thoughts on a 08' RX-400H

thanks

• 6 months later...

your profile indicates your car is a GS350 so that means it is a 2007 or better.

Here's is what I go by for my 2006, same applies to your GS

1. The power steering is electric so no fluid to change there.

2. Tranny is sealed, supposedly it never needs servicing. That is what my dealership says. I don't know if I believe it but they did say if I want them to check it, they drop the pan a little and collect some fluid and have it analyzed (probably by visual only). There is no dipstick on these sealed units so you can't just pull the stick. Doesn't make sence cause there is a drain plug so I think it would be easier to just crack that open a tad and get a few drops. I am at 82k miles and haven't had a check or a problem.

3. Brake fluid I flush every 30k miles or every two years.

4. Front and rear differentials I have drained and filled every 60k miles.

5. Drive belt I replace every 45k miles or three years.

6. Spark plugs will get replaced sometime between 100 and 120k miles. There are no wires, we have coil packs. If you aren't throwing any misfire codes then I wouldn't think about replacing them.

7. Antifreeze is super long life stuff and rated at 100k miles. At 82k mine is still bright cherry pink and there is still some in the overflow tank. I may just have them flush it for good times sake at 90k miles (before next winter).

8. We have a timing chaing so it doesn't need replacing like a timing belt would.

9. PCV valve I would and did change at every 60k miles. Don't know why, just always have done it then.

hope this helps.

steviej

Really spark plugs at 100k miles?? I was told 40k? should the coil packs be changed too at 100k miles?

Really spark plugs at 100k miles?? I was told 40k? should the coil packs be changed too at 100k miles?

Really. The plugs in there are iridium and these last a long time. I was skeptical at first on my 2002 ES and changed them at 60K (recommendation was 90k). I could have waited, the plugs were pristine. On my 2006 GS300 AWD, the recommendation is 100-120k. Again, on a Saturday afternoon with 90k on the clock, I had nothing to do so I replaced them. Once again they were pristine.

As for the coil packs, I wouldn't replace them unless any unless it was giving you problems or is throwing a misfire code. And if that be the case I would start with the problem pack and replace one at a time. The buggers are quite expensive to replace as a precaution.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

Really. The plugs in there are iridium and these last a long time. I was skeptical at first on my 2002 ES and changed them at 60K (recommendation was 90k). I could have waited, the plugs were pristine. On my 2006 GS300 AWD, the recommendation is 100-120k. Again, on a Saturday afternoon with 90k on the clock, I had nothing to do so I replaced them. Once again they were pristine.

As for the coil packs, I wouldn't replace them unless any unless it was giving you problems or is throwing a misfire code. And if that be the case I would start with the problem pack and replace one at a time. The buggers are quite expensive to replace as a precaution.

steviej

WOW thanks for the info and ya i do get some hardcore vibrations (assuming that is a misfire) a few times a year mostly in the winter... iv done some research on how to test your coils bc they are about $130 a piece! so this sunday my buddy is coming over to help me out, ill probably take some pics and post a mini tutorial on how to test them..