Lexus Slips To No. 2

pj8708

New Harris poll places Benz as new leader in luxury line, knocks out Lexus. Ford now number one above Chevrolet and all comers.

This survey had a sample of over 20,000, so it has good accuracy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/27/ford-mercedes-benz-named-top-brands-in-new-harris-polls/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fautoblog+%28Autoblog%29

I don't know about that poll. Its not a poll of owners or likely buyers (ages 15 and up?) its purely a "What do you think of this name?" poll...and I've never heard of a "Harris Poll" before...

I don't know about that poll. Its not a poll of owners or likely buyers (ages 15 and up?) its purely a "What do you think of this name?" poll...and I've never heard of a "Harris Poll" before...

Harris began in 1975. It is one of the worlds leading public opinion research companies and pioneered the use of interactive polling. They are a custom polling firm and work in areas such as manufacturing, politics, healthcare, education, and consumerism.

I think Toyota/Lexus is going thru some internal changes right now. Honestly, I think they grew to fast and wound up biting off more than they can chew and have had to deal some pretty large set backs. The pendulum swings as usual. Staying on top is way harder than getting there.

I personally agree with the survey. And it's not the only one I've seen that says the same things. US News ranked Lexus #6! and MB is in the #1 slot there also. Not to mention a few other publications that all reflect the same things. The new E350 is just a beautiful car now, and the S-class is a rocket ship!!!! The new technologies in these cars aren't even available in any of the Japanese luxury cars! MB dumped 190 million dollars into the Alabama plant back in 2005-06. And the ML line has been ranked significantly higher since then as well. In fact it's even a Consumer reports recommended buy now!

Well I still love my Lexus! I just got out of a 2011 528i loaner and all I can say is wow. Makes me want a car again. Ran the *BLEEP* out of it an it just begged for more...only thing is the BMW jut didn't feel as refined as a Lexus? Something about the materials don't get me wrong it was a great car but just not the same as far as quality.

They're different I agree. That new 5 is a great car though isn't it?

I don't doubt the findings of the survey, its just not a survey you routinely hear used to judge the attributes of cars...

I have a Lexus and a Mercedes and I would say that both are very high quality builds. The Lexus is tight fitting and very insulating from the outside. It's becoming much more Sony Playstation like. LOL!! The Mercedes to me is,,,,,,,,well, alot different. I have an Ml350 which is the 4 door mid-size SUV. So there's no comparison of course as they both have a very different set of goals. For everyday living, the ML is hands down, the best "life accommidating " vehicle I've owned so far. It's just the small things that seem to matter more often while owning one I guess, like I think MB has the absolute best cruise control operation of all the vehicles I've ever owned! May sound strange, and in the books, all car companies offer cruise control, but in my ML, on the really long drives to NC, I love how much control and how intuitive it is to operate in light traffic. Something I would have never really thought of before, but I've made that drive now 12 times and it's become a very cool feature to have. But when I want to jet around town and I need a change, the Lexus fits the bill perfectly.

I've always liked Mercedes and almost bought an E350 Cabriolet instead of my BMW but when I was buying they were just coming out and there weren't many out there, it cost about $10k more and the lease deals weren't as compelling. That's really Mercedes problem is that they cost so much more than comparable cars from other makes.

Lately I've gotten really intrigued by Infiniti. Their style is completely unique and different, when you see one you think "What the heck is that?" I almost bought an FX35, I had paid the down payment but then the dealer ticked me off and I left and bought my new RX. Now my mom just got a G37x which I am in love with. Just over $41k and it's got almost 330hp and is quiet and comfortable to drive, best of both worlds. I honestly think once my leases are up on the BMW and Lexus I'll get an M56x or FX50. The only problem is the closest dealer is a 50 minute drive and that's the one that upset me.

• 2 months later...