2011 Vs 2003 Electronics

TerrySmith

I recently got a 2011 Lexus and have had a 2003 LS since new. Both have ML audio / navigation systems.

I've noticed a couple features missing on the new car and I'm wondering if I'm not using them correctly. Minor stuff, but...

1. 2003 LS clock sets automatically to the GPS, 2011 IS does not.

2. 2011 IS clock settings allow you to set time zone and daylight savings time but these settings do not change the clock which seems to be totally manually set. So what is the purpose of entering time zone and DST if they don't change the clock?

3. On the 2011 IS, I can't find the fast forward or fast reverse controls for the audio player for any type of playback: CD, DVD, iPod, files, etc. Am I missing something? These are available on the 2003 LS.

I also miss the shelf in the top of the center-console arm rest. I noticed this missing from a new RX I recently had as a loaner as well as from my new IS F. Handy place to put little stuff.

I also don't like the 2011 IS windshield single-shot control. If you're in auto mode, you have to switch through off to get to the single shot. I find I need to do this frequently as the auto mode may not always operate when needed. But since I have to go through off to get to single shot, I might as well just shut it off and go back to auto, which causes a single shot anyway. In other words, when in auto mode, the quick press and release single shot is not really available. On the 2003 LS, I can pull the handle toward me and release for a quick single shot directly from / to the auto mode.

Minor stuff on really great cars - and in the scheme of life, these aren't very important. But in some cases, I might be doing something wrong - and if Lexus reads these forums, this could be considered as feedback for future cars.

Thanks,

What you have to understand is that yes...your IS is newer than your LS...but your LS is the top of the line car...the IS is the bottom of the line entry level car. Whether its an IS-F or not that may not be much cheaper than a new LS, its still built off the basic framework of the IS, which is the entry level car. You're going to lack little features in it that you had on the LS because the IS is built to a price...

What you have to understand is that yes...your IS is newer than your LS...but your LS is the top of the line car...the IS is the bottom of the line entry level car. Whether its an IS-F or not that may not be much cheaper than a new LS, its still built off the basic framework of the IS, which is the entry level car. You're going to lack little features in it that you had on the LS because the IS is built to a price...

Steve,

Thanks for your response and also for taking the time to support this forum as a forum manager. Both much appreciated.

FYI, I found the answer to one of my questions (item 3 on my list): directly under the volume control on the dash are two buttons, one with an up arrow and one with a down arrow. If you press one of these buttons it takes you to the next or previous track, depending on the button you push. But if you press and hold one of the buttons until you hear a beep, the control becomes fast forward (up arrow) or fast reverse (down arrow) for as long as you continue to hold the button.

I found this in the owner's manual and then tried it in the car. In the LS, these controls are on the touch screen, but not on the IS.

To your point, I paid extra for the Mark Levinson Audio / Navigation options on the 2011 IS F and I paid a similar amount extra for those options on my 2003 LS 430 8 years ago, so I was expecting similar capabilities. Also, I was not complaining so much as asking if I was missing something - in one case, I was.

And, to put my nit picks about things lost since 2003 in perspective:

The LS 430 ML/Nav system includes: CDs, AM and FM radio, cassette and DVD Navigation with voice command.

The IS F ML/Nav system includes: CDs, DVD Audio (high resolution, surround sound), DVD movies with surround sound, CDs with MP3 files, iPod sound via a dock cable with on-screen control, audio from files in a thumb drive with on-screen control, audio streaming from a smart phone via blue tooth, blue tooth hands-free cell phone connection with voice command and on-screen command, AM, FM and Sat radio, Lexus safety link, Lexus Inform and HD navigation system with voice command that also shows traffic conditions and alerts, weather, sports reports and stock reports.

Aside from the audio / nav system, the LS 430 does in fact have several cool features missing from the IS (doors that closes themselves, park assist, radar cruise) to name a few. Of course, the IS F has much higher performance in terms of speed, braking and handling.

Finally, the F in IS F stands for Flagship, which was the code name used by Toyota when they were developing the Lexus line before it was announced. So at least the top of the IS line?

Anyway, I really like both of mine and have never met a Lexus I didn't like.

I don't think the IS-F stands for Flagship, F-Sport is Lexus' "sport tuned" division moniker meant to be like Mercedes' AMG or BMW's M. I'm not sure what the "F" is supposed to mean...bit I'd be surprised if its Flagship. In any event, the car is still an IS, and all the basic features of the car, the displays, the switchgear, etc are all carried over from the IS...which is the entry Lexus (well I suppose the CT is now), and there are for sure going to be feature differences between it and the LS, no matter how high end an IS it might be or how old the LS might be..

I didn't know that about the seek buttons also fast forwarding...I suppose theres always something new to be learned!

I don't think the IS-F stands for Flagship, F-Sport is Lexus' "sport tuned" division moniker meant to be like Mercedes' AMG or BMW's M. I'm not sure what the "F" is supposed to mean...bit I'd be surprised if its Flagship. In any event, the car is still an IS, and all the basic features of the car, the displays, the switchgear, etc are all carried over from the IS...which is the entry Lexus (well I suppose the CT is now), and there are for sure going to be feature differences between it and the LS, no matter how high end an IS it might be or how old the LS might be..

I didn't know that about the seek buttons also fast forwarding...I suppose theres always something new to be learned!

Sure, agreed. The LS has a lot more dedicated information displays that I miss in the IS. Thought I read somewhere that F did mean Flagship.

Sure, agreed. The LS has a lot more dedicated information displays that I miss in the IS. Thought I read somewhere that F did mean Flagship.

In Lexus literature and popular press, the LS has been refered to as the "Flagship" car of the Lexus line. Could "F" stand for Formula?...as in Formula 1.

Paul

In Lexus literature and popular press, the LS has been refered to as the "Flagship" car of the Lexus line. Could "F" stand for Formula?...as in Formula 1.

Paul

I Read somewhere on the Internet that F stood for Flagship and was used pre-1990 as the code name for Lexus (only the LS then) and so was also the F in IS F (and LFA and the future LF), but I don't remember where I read that. Anyway it's not correct.

IS F Story

". . . In fact, Fuji Speedway is the IS F's home circuit, and its many turns were the inspiration for the F-logo design. . ."

and

Fuji Speedway

". . . The last five of [Fuji Speedway's] 16 corners can generate over 2Gs in lateral acceleration, and when viewed from above, they form the shape of the letter F. . ."