How To Clean Perforated Leather

TerrySmith

Here are the "official" instructions for cleaning the seats from the 2003 LS430 owners manual:

Leather Interior

The selected leather is used in your Lexus. Due to

characteristics of leather products, some parts of leather may

be rough, uneven or scratched originally.

To keep good appearance, we recommend you to clean it

periodically twice a year.

Remove dirt on the leather in the following ways:

1. Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened

with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool.

2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all

traces of detergent with it.

3. Wipe off the surface of the leather with a dry soft cloth. Allow

the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet

may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather.

I suppose you could pluck out the dirt from the holes with a wooden toothpick or similar but I never had to do anything like with Mercedes cars I've owned with perforated leather. Following the cleaning instructions always worked for me

I wouldn't use an over the counter conditioner product like Mothers on seats with perforations, its too thick...

The Woolite is the best option (Woolite=natural detergent for wool)

My 2003 LS430 has the perforated leather seats to allow air flow. However, a few of the little holes (perforations) have some dirt or something jammed in them creating white spots on the black leather.

Is there anyway to get those out?

There is a special subforum called "Lexus Detailing and Car Care" that you should peruse. It contains a lot of info on leather care.

From reading that forum, I now use Woolite cleaner in water to clean and Leatherique to condition my leather.

Here it is -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=9

Tried the woolite yesterday, it does a marvelous job of cleaning...Just need a hot day for the leatherique.......(conditioning)

• 1 year later...

I've always had good luck with the Sonus leather products; they are pretty mild. They may be woolite in a plastic bottle for all I know.

For the gunk in the pores you might just try a good vacuum cleaner. I have a couple specks of something in the back seat (I think it's glitter) that I've just left alone.

I tried the leatherique a couple weeks ago. i think the Lexus leather is coated, or just not that porous because most of the leatherique just sat on top of the leather. The perforated part was a bit better because the holes allowed the liquid to soak in. It did help a bit (I was using it on the tops of the rear seat and headrests that have become stiff over time) but maybe try using less than they recommend. I have the semi-aniline leather though so YMMV.

• 1 month later...

My used toothbrushes get relegated to the detail shop... after they are cleaned, of course...

These work well for cleaning in the seams of the leather... just press down and separate with one hand and it exposes a lot of dirt and grime in there. Toothbrush, followed by vacuum and then the detergent/leather cleaner of your choice...

I prefer to rub it in by hand...to avoid most of it being absorbed by the cloth...then come back and wipe dry with micro fiber towel.

Seems to work well...

My 2003 LS430 has the perforated leather seats to allow air flow. However, a few of the little holes (perforations) have some dirt or something jammed in them creating white spots on the black leather.

Is there anyway to get those out?

I first clean normally with a leather cleaner, then use toothpick to clear any clogged holes, and then vacuum. I finish with leather polish. I use products lightly so that they don;t get in to the pores.

In case you are not happy with your purchase, you will be able to return the
product and get your money back. Ideally, you should go through a store that
will pay for the shipping if you decide to return the product.

WOW Gold
Buy RS Gold