Changed Catalytic Converter

yotoy82

My catalytic converter on the drivers side went bad, so changed it and the oxygen sensor. I got a direct fit, magnaflow, online for $183 with shipping and everything and a Denso Oxygen sensor for $63 on amazon and installed it myself. The muffler shop took 69 dollars and 3 hours to install the new one.

Heres the problem though. I saw on ebay the old OEM catalytic converters were selling from $80-150 and planned on selling it rather than just leaving it with the muffler shop, BUT THEY WOULDN'T GIVE IT BACK TO ME. They said its law or something and they have to return it to the manufacturer or some bull crap like that, or keep it for 30 days or I don't know, short end of the story they wouldn't budge on giving it back to me, I'm thinking they just wanna get the money out of it themselves.

I live in Illinois. Is there any rule for this or they just !Removed! with me?

Ok so the first code I had was P0420 Bank 1, so changed the drivers side cat converter and rear oxygen sensor and t hat code went away, used denso o2 sensor and magnaflow direct fit. Then a day later I get P0430 bank2! Is it right that both of these fail right at the same time, guess I'm going to be changing both catalytic converters?

• 10 months later...

One of the first things someone should always check with a P0420 error code, is the MAF (mass air flow) sensor and the air filter. The MAF gets dirty and needs to be cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner or an electronic cleaner. I usually use a q-tip also. If the MAF is dirty with a dirty air filter it will often cause a P0420 code to be set. Its a lot cheaper, to clean the MAF and check the air filter, before proceding to checking a CAT or O2 sensor.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know how you rip the shop a new !Removed! for trying to keep your old cat. Could use a good story about someone getting their !Removed! handed to them for trying to screw a customer.

Ok so the first code I had was P0420 Bank 1, so changed the drivers side cat converter and rear oxygen sensor and t hat code went away, used denso o2 sensor and magnaflow direct fit. Then a day later I get P0430 bank2! Is it right that both of these fail right at the same time, guess I'm going to be changing both catalytic converters?

Its not a catalytic converter. I'll bet you have exhaust leak after the catalytic converter either at the flange or underneath the Ypipe heat shield. Fix the leak first and save some $$$.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70886#entry441548

I've never even heard of someone attempting to clean a MAF sensor, except for the people that ended up having to buy one for trying to. There's money in old converters and unless you're in California there arent any regulations on them, recyclers pay top dollar for them, some have platinum.

Leaks in the exhaust, leaks in the EVAP system, a rotted EGR recirc hose can attribute to that code, by the sound of it, you'll have the codes after replacing them both and O2 sensors are completely different codes.