2012 Changes

420benz

Lexus seems to be keeping secret the details of plans for the 2012 es, but I have read that the es and gs will essentially be replaced.

With the ongoing crisis in Japan, I suspect any plans might get derailed anyway.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I read today that Toyota has paused some production for only two weeks.

The ES as I recall from Steve W. is on a 5 year replacement cycle, hence it's due for a makeover in 2012. Last week, my dealer had been on a conference call with Lexus. I asked if there was any new info on the ES. Nope. Lexus keeps a very tight ship when it comes to new revisions. I am really interested in seeing what they come out with. I hope it doesn't make me wish I would have waited to buy my 2010.

Paul

perhaps paul, but my thinking is that we are getting a lot of spin out of japan, and when all is said and done, that country will be devastated for a long time from both a human and financial perspective....hopefully my gut is wrong on this one

I really don't want to wait 9 to 10 mos. to buy my first Lexus.But if i buy a 2011 now i just might be very PO if the 2012 is much more to my liking.

I hear ya...I bought my 2011 a few months ago cause the tranny in my maxima was on its last leg, but I definitely would have waited with the new 2012 coming out

big assumption, but assuming lexus does not have production problems, you should see the 2012's in 6-7 months, so not too bad

I really don't want to wait 9 to 10 mos. to buy my first Lexus.But if i buy a 2011 now i just might be very PO if the 2012 is much more to my liking.

I hear ya...I bought my 2011 a few months ago cause the tranny in my maxima was on its last leg, but I definitely would have waited with the new 2012 coming out

big assumption, but assuming lexus does not have production problems, you should see the 2012's in 6-7 months, so not too bad

Well if that's the case,i just might wait 6/7 Mos

BTW: Will the 2011 get less expensive in 6/7 mos.?

Well if that's the case,i just might wait 6/7 Mos

BTW: Will the 2011 get less expensive in 6/7 mos.?

absolutely..even if there is less inventory than usual, they will certainly be discounted

Hey one way to look at it, is that the last of a generation has most of the bugs worked out...

Very good point. When the current gen came out in 2006 as a 2007 model, a number of owners complained about transmission and engine noise issues, as well as other issues. I had an early build 2007 that was problem free but it is safer to wait a model year or two to be sure that any bugs are worked out.

Hey one way to look at it, is that the last of a generation has most of the bugs worked out...

Very good point. When the current gen came out in 2006 as a 2007 model, a number of owners complained about transmission and engine noise issues, as well as other issues. I had an early build 2007 that was problem free but it is safer to wait a model year or two to be sure that any bugs are worked out.

very true, guess it is a tough call..will be made a lot easier if lexus turns out something that a typical es owner does not want

tough to see lexus making a mistake like that, but **it happens...if they are looking to lower the price point a bit, it could definitely happen

Remember that earthquake damage did not cover the entire island. So I don't know if it helps to keep wringing your hands in despair. Three days after the quake, Lexus shipped three container ships full of cars for the U.S. They say that is enough inventory to last two months when added to what is already here. Parts are supposed to be sufficent for several months.

Remember that earthquake damage did not cover the entire island. So I don't know if it helps to keep wringing your hands in despair. Three days after the quake, Lexus shipped three container ships full of cars for the U.S. They say that is enough inventory to last two months when added to what is already here. Parts are supposed to be sufficent for several months.

not wringing hands in despair..just looking at the situation, and speculating as accurately as I can....my take is that japan will be derailed marginally or more significantly for some time to come..japanese authorites have lied throughout the events..perhaps it will be business as usual, but I am on the other side of that bet

From my experience and history, Japan is not the same as other countries...They will not only survive, but come back quicker than any other nation in the world...Hey that is why we buy cars from Japan...

From my experience and history, Japan is not the same as other countries...They will not only survive, but come back quicker than any other nation in the world...Hey that is why we buy cars from Japan...

agree that the japanese culture is unique...no looting, etc. this entire time...

here's the thing..if the worst is behind them, then ok, full steam ahead...but my guess is that it could get much worse with ramifications that could last for some time

just a big unknown in my mind..so too risky to count on anything

Thinking about the 2012, did you guys like the interior, especially the dash of the 2007-2009 ES? Previously, I had an 2005, ES330. I loved the wood that ran across the dash and the doors, both front and back. When they brought out the 350 the dash looked like a slab of gray with no touch of elegance. Then, with the refresh in 2010, the addition of the glove box wood strip and chrome accents helped to sharpen up the interior.

I would like to see them go back to some more wood trim in 2012. I've been told that's to old fashioned.

Thinking about the 2012, did you guys like the interior, especially the dash of the 2007-2009 ES? Previously, I had an 2005, ES330. I loved the wood that ran across the dash and the doors, both front and back. When they brought out the 350 the dash looked like a slab of gray with no touch of elegance. Then, with the refresh in 2010, the addition of the glove box wood strip and chrome accents helped to sharpen up the interior.

I would like to see them go back to some more wood trim in 2012. I've been told that's to old fashioned.

I didn't mind the dash and trim on my '07, but do agree that it was kind of plain vs. previous ES's, as well as some of the competition. I think the changes for 2010, although minor overall, really improved the look of the interior.

When researching the 2007, I remember reading that Lexus was going for a more minimal look to appeal to younger buyers. I don't know if it worked though.

The Buick Lacrosse, which has out sold Lexus for the last two months, has quite a bit of plastic wood-like trim inside and even the Honda Accord sports a generous touch of wood-like trim. The Buick is trying to appeal to the younger buyer and I think the Accord has always appealed to a pretty wide age range.

The largest market are the boomer's and they have more money. However, the younger buyers purchase more frequently, and trade more often. Their also less loyal, and generally have less money. The 2012 ES should continue to be the bread and butter of the Lexus line and that should mean an interior for boomer's, but sleek enough for the gen x.

Paul

I have heard from a couple sources that the ES has been delayed for replacement until 2013 as well as the Camry. If thats the case, the 2012 would be a carryover from 2011.

This may or may not have anything to do with the earthquake...

I have heard from a couple sources that the ES has been delayed for replacement until 2013 as well as the Camry. If thats the case, the 2012 would be a carryover from 2011.

interesting Steve...if that is the case, probably not quake related since a decision like that would have to be made more in advance..takes time to re-tool the line, etc.

If that's the case, in your opinion, do you think the 07'-08', etc., ES folks will go ahead and trade for a 2012, or will they wait for a "maybe" new 2013. I guess it's a question of, was the refresh in 2010 enough to spur those early ES owners into going ahead and quit waiting for a whole new ES.

If that's the case, in your opinion, do you think the 07'-08', etc., ES folks will go ahead and trade for a 2012, or will they wait for a "maybe" new 2013. I guess it's a question of, was the refresh in 2010 enough to spur those early ES owners into going ahead and quit waiting for a whole new ES.

That's a good question. The ES350 has a lot of competition out there so some current gen owners might be swayed to try something different vs. waiting for the new model. OTOH, I looked at several other models/brands and in the end traded the '07 in on a '10. I wasn't expecting to, but am gald that I did.

If I had an 07-09 I wouldn't trade it on a 2012 that was the same as the 2011 probably, unless it was a lease or something I had to replace. I'd wait for the new model.

There is a lot of competition out there for the ES now that it never used to have...I'm a little worried for them if this delay is true. Same for the Camry...the Camry is archaic compared to its competition nowadays.

If I had an 07-09 I wouldn't trade it on a 2012 that was the same as the 2011 probably, unless it was a lease or something I had to replace. I'd wait for the new model.

There is a lot of competition out there for the ES now that it never used to have...I'm a little worried for them if this delay is true. Same for the Camry...the Camry is archaic compared to its competition nowadays.

There certainly is some interesting competition to the ES out there right now. From Buick, Lincoln, Audi, Infiniti, Acura, the list goes on. I'm sure that Lexus realizes this, so hopefully the new ES will stay at or near the top of the Entry Level Luxury pack.

The Buick Lacrosse, which has out sold Lexus for the last two months, has quite a bit of plastic wood-like trim inside and even the Honda Accord sports a generous touch of wood-like trim. The Buick is trying to appeal to the younger buyer and I think the Accord has always appealed to a pretty wide age range.

The largest market are the boomer's and they have more money. However, the younger buyers purchase more frequently, and trade more often. Their also less loyal, and generally have less money. The 2012 ES should continue to be the bread and butter of the Lexus line and that should mean an interior for boomer's, but sleek enough for the gen x.

Paul

I love the dash in the Lacrosse.I think the blue lighting is so cool. I drove the 4cyl. yesterday and found it to be very responsive.