Service When There Are No Lexus Dealers?

I've had a 2007 RX350 since new and now has 69k miles. We will be traveling all summer through several western states in which there are no Lexus dealers. I called Lexus to see what I should do if I need repairs in one of those areas. The tech told me that if there are no Lexus dealers, they call AAA!

I asked whether a Toyota dealer would be a good second choice but the tech wouldn't comment.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Yes, of course Toyota is an alternative....Same car as a highlander....basically...just dont expect free water and donuts in the waiting room..(however cheaper)

First of all, the probability of something major going wrong is low on your RX at its low mileage -- unless you are planning to tow your 10,000 pound Airstream during the trip. A Toyota dealer should be able to take care of about any problem with your RX (and which is serious enough to fix before you return home) since it is mechanically about the same as a Highlander. Of course, anytime one is on a long driving vacation, part of the "plan" must be to be ready to have a vehicle transported a few hundred miles and to be ready to get a rental vehicle or to fly home.

You might want to record the locations of Toyota dealers and independent repair shops in the areas in which you will be traveling. Whether you have an OEM or aftermarket navigation unit, it would be a good idea to install the latest map and POI updates. If you have an aftermarket GPS unit, most of them accept custom POI files. For example, I added a custom POI file containing all the Lexus dealers in the U.S. to my old Magellan GPS -- image attached. I've even set my GPS to chime when I'm within maybe 1 mile from any Lexus dealer and to chime again with a different sound when I am within about 250 yards.

You can get custom POI files for just about any interest from GPS enthusiast websites (e.g. GPS Passion) and sometimes directly from sources like restaurant chain websites. Some portable GPS units will even play your own sound clip (e.g. MP3) when you are near a location in a custom POI file.

Also, you might want to check out cell phone coverage if you will be off the beaten track. There are still vast areas of the western U.S. that have zero cell phone service. If you are going to be in the middle of nowhere, consider getting an external antenna for your cell phone -- can make a huge difference. And does anyone take long driving trips these days without a wireless/WiFi enabled laptop PC or iPad?

Aren't we spoiled these days by all the gadgets? I've been driving "foreign" cars for virtually all of my 45 years of driving and never worried about finding places to get them fixed while traveling far from home and supporting dealerships.

post-2157-0-37701100-1301097569_thumb.jp

First of all, the probability of something major going wrong is low on your RX at its low mileage -- unless you are planning to tow your 10,000 pound Airstream during the trip. A Toyota dealer should be able to take care of about any problem with your RX (and which is serious enough to fix before you return home) since it is mechanically about the same as a Highlander. Of course, anytime one is on a long driving vacation, part of the "plan" must be to be ready to have a vehicle transported a few hundred miles and to be ready to get a rental vehicle or to fly home.

You might want to record the locations of Toyota dealers and independent repair shops in the areas in which you will be traveling. Whether you have an OEM or aftermarket navigation unit, it would be a good idea to install the latest map and POI updates. If you have an aftermarket GPS unit, most of them accept custom POI files. For example, I added a custom POI file containing all the Lexus dealers in the U.S. to my old Magellan GPS -- image attached. I've even set my GPS to chime when I'm within maybe 1 mile from any Lexus dealer and to chime again with a different sound when I am within about 250 yards.

You can get custom POI files for just about any interest from GPS enthusiast websites (e.g. GPS Passion) and sometimes directly from sources like restaurant chain websites. Some portable GPS units will even play your own sound clip (e.g. MP3) when you are near a location in a custom POI file.

Also, you might want to check out cell phone coverage if you will be off the beaten track. There are still vast areas of the western U.S. that have zero cell phone service. If you are going to be in the middle of nowhere, consider getting an external antenna for your cell phone -- can make a huge difference. And does anyone take long driving trips these days without a wireless/WiFi enabled laptop PC or iPad?

Aren't we spoiled these days by all the gadgets? I've been driving "foreign" cars for virtually all of my 45 years of driving and never worried about finding places to get them fixed while traveling far from home and supporting dealerships.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I certainly don't expect any problems with the car but can enjoy more peace of mind on trips when I've "thought through" potential challenges.

Yes, I'll absolutely set up the Lexus and Toyota dealer locations in my iPhone & iPad.

And you're right, we are absolutely spoiled with technology and communication capabilities. In fact my wife and I couldn't manage our current lifestyle without it - travel to a new area, rent a nice furnished condo, stay as long as we want, then move on. The many vacation rental websites make it easy to find great places and to secure them before we move on. It's amazing, once you adopt this lifestyle, how much you find you can do without. We downsized after we sold our house in late 2009 and we're still shedding stuff at every stop!

Yes, of course Toyota is an alternative....Same car as a highlander....basically...just dont expect free water and donuts in the waiting room..(however cheaper)

I get free water, donuts AND coffee, hot chocolate; shuttle service and car wash after every service at my local Toyota dealership! whistling1.gif