92 Es300 Engine Stall

slstsang

Hi Everyone, i just bought a 92 es300 with 98K, it's from a physician and have been maintainning from day 1 at the dealership. not sure what's going on, yesterday i was at the stop light and it just stall on me. also between 1-2000 rmp, i can feel there is a vibration on the gas paddle.... i just changed the air filter this morning. oil and trans fluid is good.... so what's going on? any ideas?

There have been many posts on the causes. Do a search.

Bad PCV valve or PCV hoses.

Bad Air Intake Hose (pin hole air leaks).

Bad Mass Air Flow sensor.

Bad fuel filter.

Bad vacuum lines.

And a number of other things I can't think of now.

Good luck.

kind of hard to pin point a problem like that with just a short description. you may want to take it to the shop and have them hook it up to a diagnostic computer. they will be able to see if you are running rich or lean or if it is some other issue.

does it have the original plugs and wires? you may want to look into replacing those if that is the case.

I have a 92 with 97k on it as well and it perked up when i put new plugs and wires in it...

When ever you buy a new car

you should always do the maintance right away .

Meaning change

oil+filter, tranny fluid ,coolant,pcv valve ,plugs +wires+cap +rotor.

Then do a motorvac and a compression test before even driving the car.To make sure everything is in perect shape first.

Extra stuff is timing belt ,brake pads, all bulbs,rustproof and detail it professionally.

What of those things have you done already to rule them out?

I vote for carbon build up on the Idle Air Control valve or a lazy fuel pump.

Did the car start back up in a few seconds and you were able to drive away?

Does it seem rough when you go from 60 mph to 10 mph in a matter of feet, like at a stop light?

Is this the first time or has it been doing this at every stop light?

Like dropspace said, you may want to take it to a mechanic so he can hook up a scan tool and monitor exactly what is going on right when the car stalls.

steviej

ps, it matters not that the previous posts were mostly 02 and not 92's. The 1MZ-FE engine has been in the ES for almost 10 years and the 92 motor is somewhat similar. The problems you raise have been seen in many a model year. One man's suggestion may be another man's solution regardless of year.

The Car start back up after the stall and i was able to drive away.

It seems rough in the 1000-2000 rmp range, just a huming noise beneath my feet.

It is the first time that it stall on me at the stop light.

It did have a check engine light on after the stall.

thanks for your reply. please keep them coming :lol:

It seems rough in the 1000-2000 rmp range, just a huming noise beneath my feet.

that little tidbit of info helps.

I would start the car, and open the hood. Make sure their is no cover (regtangular plastic thingie) on the plenum. Visually inspect all hoses and fittings. Look for any cracked hoses or hoses that have actually popped off their connector.

Now stand outside the engine bay and listen for the humming. Have a friend rev the car up to 1000rpm then slowly to 2000 rpm. Listen for the humming and again try to pinpoint the location.

Being a 92, the rubber hoses may have dried up a little, stiffened up or even cracked over the years. They may not be tight or secure on their conncectors or fittings. This can allow air in or out and change any readings that the ECU thinks it is getting.

If you find one that is off, put it back on. If the end is dried, cut it back to good rubber and reattach it or replace the entire hose totally. If you replace it, take the old one to the autoparts store to match up length and inside diameter.

good luck again.

steviej

If you have a cel light then there is nothing else to do but get it read

go to autozone or someplace to get it done for free with an obd 1 scan tool.

Once you get htat then you will know for sure where to look as tehre are so many possibilities.

i went to the lexus dealer where the physician have been maintian the es300 and pull up a lot of history, the car have been overheat in the past and have replace head gasket and pressure cap before, the latest check was January, last comment was fluid leak "head gasket, distributer O ring...etc" I asked the lexus dealer guy and he said those can't be the causes of stalling..... any ideas?

Also I would like to get another key with remote, but i don't want to pay high price, any suggestion?

i was paying attention to the fan, it doesn't go full speed like i see in other cars.... it was medium speed... also the temp gauge is a little over middle... is this normal? so the power steering pump control the speed of the fan?

the car have been overheat in the past and have replace head gasket and pressure cap before, the latest check was January, last comment was fluid leak "head gasket, distributer O ring...etc"

Unfortunately it looks like the doctor tricked you by not telling you upfront he overheated the motor bad enough to ruin the head gasket. Engines subjected to such severe trauma rarely ever run right again. When you buy a used car you must insist on seeing service receipts for preventive maintenance. The whole point of preventive maintainance is to prevent disasters like overheating and oil starvation to begin with. Just say NO to any seller, including doctors and priests who can't provide receipts. And if the receipts show anything major has been replaced or rebuilt (like the cylinder head gaskets in this case) then walk away from that car.

• 2 weeks later...

update: Last nite i was picking up my wife and work and the car stall twice. So i finally went and got some throttle body cleaner and spray the XXXX out of it, well, as i was taking the intake hose apart, that POS crumble on me, i managed to go to the lexus dealer this morning, they said there was a hugh crack in the middle of the intake pipe and that causes the stalling. And the cause of the crack on the intake hose? broken front engine mount, it was bucking like a wild bronco when the mechanic rev the engine.... so..... there you have it people, check the engine mount and cracks in the intake pipe, that could be the reason for stalling.