Finally Drl Are Off!

Darntart470

After asking 3 Lexus and one Toyota service advisers, I got tired of them lying that the DRL are not be turned off. So, I drove to the back to the mechanic station and ask the first guy I saw. He asked me to pop the hood and he unplugs a relay switch for the DRL. Finally, DRL are off!

post-124624-0-54774500-1301026304_thumb.

• 7 months later...

I do not like DRLs both on my own vehicles, and especially on those that are oncoming! SUVs, truck, etc., because of their height difference to lower riding cars, have their lights drill right through the rear windows, and when oncoming, straight into ones skull! Now when these are modified to HID, etc., one can imagine the discomfort. These things are a hazard, and a truly unbiased analysis of the benefits of having them installed on US vehicles, given the normal conditions (read that daytime lighting or natural illumination) on US roads, will not be able to justify the additional costs imposed on the user. In some European and northern scandinavian countries where normal conditions are different, I suppose a case for their use could be made.

Besides, having your lights on all the time places an additinal drain on the alternator, which places an additional drain on the engine. So, from a purely efficiency perspective, it makes sense to disable them.

'Nuff said.

If you have very sensitive vision, I can understand your wish for other cars. But why turn off your own? I am real glad my car has DRL's because with all of the crazy people driving out there, I want to make darn sure they see me coming. Additionally, when Lexus designs the electrical systems for the car, they calculate the load and size the alternator and battery requirements accordingly. I don't think the running lights put a dangerous load on the system.

Seems like back in the heyday of the cold war we bought into some philosophy called mutually assured destruction - piled up enough nukes and more or less let the other side believe that if they so much as snorted, we would let loose with an overwhelming response, and then they would do the same, thus assuring total destruction on both sides. The end result was neither side used any nukes. The same result would have been achieved if neither side had nukes at all, but at a huge economic gain.

In the case of the DRL, my belief is that if I don't blind the other guy, he will be in a much better position to see me coming, and anyone else that he needs to be able to see so he does not swerve suddenly into my path. I can only speak from my own experience, but many times I have had to look away from oncoming traffic because of the glare - usually from the higher vehicles, and occasionally from those sporting the HIDs, etc.

...but, it would interesting to hear from the OP what his reasons are!

:huh:

I just love seeing these old threads dug up!

fsuguy! Have you had an eye exam lately? I've got a rather severe problem with glare due to a degenerative cornea disease and DRL from oncoming cars or SUV's doesn't bother me except rarely at night when some (usually) geezer forgets to turn his regular headlights on and is essentially driving with his high beams albeit at reduced intensity.

You might want to get checked for cataracts, etc. if you are having that much difficulty.

Now ... aftermarket HID kits on cars and especially on SUV's are another matter. You don't want to get me on my soap box about that.

Didn't realize this topic was a "rerun". Maybe it's in syndication. LOL

Seriously, I strongly believe that the DRLs have contributed a great deal to road safety. I understand that there are those that for some mysterious reason feel the need to modify their trucks and SUVs with blinding blue HIDs, or what I've heard termed "ricered up". Motorcycles in though, have finally brightened their headlights so they are more easily seen in traffic. Often I have been at a stop sign ready to pull out and had it not been for the motorcycles headlights I never would have seen them coming.

On gloomy, rainy, or snow stormy days, it boggles my mind the number of idiot drivers who apparently never give a thought that no one else can see them in the storm and have NO lights on. Not even their parking light OR DRLs. Automatic DRLs in these situations overcome the stupidity factor of those who believe it is their right to drive a car regardless of how poorly they do it.

A few studies were conducted and revealed that DRL reduced the number of accidents/injuries/deaths because the vehicles are more visible. OTOH, there are too many vehicles on the road, so please turn off your DRL and contribute to reducing the number of vehicles and drivers on the road ;)

And for those who are not trying to have an accident...

"Extensive studies into the effect of daytime running lights on the car accident rate of an individual car show that the use of headlamps reduces crashes by around 15%."

"If we look at these studies in a little more detail, the mean results show that daytime running lights reduce front or side-on collisions by 13% and rear-end collisions by 16%. Furthermore, the number of pedestrian collisions was reduced by 25%; a massive reduction in a type of collision which often results in serious personal injury."

http://www.youclaim.co.uk/car/car-accident-reduction-and-drl.htm

Just google it! If you really want to read more about it...

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Reports , Vol. 110 ; No. 3 ; Pg. 233; ISSN: 0033-3549 (May, 1995).

In summary, although the studies of DRLs have differed in design, analysis techniques, and outcome measures, the later studies are largely in accordance with the earlier ones, indicating that the overall effect of DRLs on motor vehicle crashes is positive.

And for those who are not trying to have an accident...

"Extensive studies into the effect of daytime running lights on the car accident rate of an individual car show that the use of headlamps reduces crashes by around 15%."

"If we look at these studies in a little more detail, the mean results show that daytime running lights reduce front or side-on collisions by 13% and rear-end collisions by 16%. Furthermore, the number of pedestrian collisions was reduced by 25%; a massive reduction in a type of collision which often results in serious personal injury."

http://www.youclaim.co.uk/car/car-accident-reduction-and-drl.htm

Just google it! If you really want to read more about it...

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Reports , Vol. 110 ; No. 3 ; Pg. 233; ISSN: 0033-3549 (May, 1995).

In summary, although the studies of DRLs have differed in design, analysis techniques, and outcome measures, the later studies are largely in accordance with the earlier ones, indicating that the overall effect of DRLs on motor vehicle crashes is positive.

Thank you for taking the time to research the DRL subject and provide some concrete data other than our own opinions.

One of the arguments I found amusing, (for lack of a better word) was re: the assertion that after the initial introduction of the DRL, the other drivers would get used to them and would no longer pay any attention to them. My thinking is if that were the case, the red, green, and yellow traffic lights we see several times a day would have long ago lost our attention and nobody would stop at a red light!

Paul

After asking 3 Lexus and one Toyota service advisers, I got tired of them lying that the DRL are not be turned off. So, I drove to the back to the mechanic station and ask the first guy I saw. He asked me to pop the hood and he unplugs a relay switch for the DRL. Finally, DRL are off!

They weren't "lying" to you. The dealer is not in the business to modify your vehicle's safety devices. I can turn off any damn light you want but it doesn't mean I have any right to do it!