Tinted Rear Window

jbrubaker

Just a question for all those out there who may have had this experience -

Someone applied the Privacy window film tint to the rear glass of my 94, and they did not do a good job. It is bibbled and peeling in palces and visibility through the rear glass is ptractically nill. I realize that I need to remove it all, but just not sure how. I have tried applying windex where it is peeling to break the glue free, but to no avail. I think the problem has been compounded by the rear defroster.

Any suggestions how to remove this film and then what brand or process to use to retint this window? (If it is possible) so that I will not get the same results.

Thanks!

not sure on how to remove it, but 3M scotchtint panther tints are very good. I just had my expedition done with it. Apparently it is a totally new formuation in which the tint is actually all the way through the material, not just on top...so no turning purple. and it won't bubble if it's put on right. But I would have it done by a good tint shop. Tinting a car is an art form that I certainly don't have a skill for...

Used a wallpaper steamer, worked great!

Used a solution of 1 capful of ammonia per unit in the steamer and it peeled off in much bigger chunks.

Thanks for the link, amf1932. I used some of what they said for my own solution.

I am going to get this done again, although with better tint and by a pro.