Rx 450H Mileage

The mileage on my 2010 RX 450h is disapointing. I am getting an average combined mileage of about 23 mpg, instead of advertised 30/32 mpg. I never race the car and trying to stay in "Green Eco" mode most of the time. Do any other owners have a similar problem?

Peter, it depends a great deal on how you drive. I typically get around 25-26 driving normally, which is say somewhat aggressively at times. But I can "hypermile" just for fun on local streets and increase my MPG by close to 10.

Tom

In my '06 I get a consistent 31.5 mpg around town w/o the AC on. On non Interstate highways I get 29, On the Interstate I get 27. That's mostly on mid range non ethanol fuel. I think I'm an average driver and I drive the speed limit + 5. The AC knocks in down about 3 MPH, but I think that's because it runs more when stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchase a 2011 RX 450h and the first tank of gas went at 26.5 MPG. We drove very conservatively and with the A/C on most of the time. This new model is rated at 32/28. I was hoping for an average of around 28-29 with mostly city driving. Just filled the tank with high test for the first refill and will see what the second tank will get.

Driving this car has slowed my driving down, especially starting from a dead stop. I don't think the other drivers appreciate this as they all seem to be in a hurry. My last car was a 2005 Kia Sorrento that returned 14.5 MPG. I am surely not trying to save money, as the 47,000 price tag was not an economical decision.

A hybrid is fun to drive and definitely makes you a better driver. I Wish the CT-200 was a little bigger, as its MPG is 40 and price at around 30-32K. With the RX 450h, I now owe more on my car than I do on my home.

I own a 2010 Lexus 450h and I get around the same gas mileage as you 27/28 mpg. I live in AZ so I always have the air condition on!

I do mostly city driving and use the economy feature all the time. I can coast on most streets using just the electric part of the motor. I did have to get use to driving using the econo mode. No quick pulling into traffic for me! and your right, it does make you a better driver. I love my car and when my lease is up I will most certainly get another Lexus Hybrid. B)

• 5 months later...

I just got a RX450h about a month ago and just returned from a 2500 mile road trip. I've found for city driving in relatively flat territory, that I could get 30-31 MPG. I live in hilly territory and it from to 28-29 MPG. On the highway where I typically drive 70-75, I get 25-27 MPG depending upon terrain. Note that this is with 93 octane premium fuel. I've determined that the increase in mileage for Premium offsets the price differential ($0.20 on average), especially if you can get 93 octane instead of just 91 octane for that price.

-- Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 RX450h and over the past year and a half we average 27-28 mpg in combined driving, about 30-31 straight highway, and in traffic in Manhattan I have gotten as high as 34. A 27-28 average is not bad for an SUV that size, so I am very pleased. I will note that I run it in Eco mode...a little slower but definitely more efficient.

• 5 weeks later...

The mileage on my 2010 RX 450h is disapointing. I am getting an average combined mileage of about 23 mpg, instead of advertised 30/32 mpg. I never race the car and trying to stay in "Green Eco" mode most of the time. Do any other owners have a similar problem?

Your hwy cruising FE will not be much different than the standard RX. The BEST FE, in comparison, will always be in city stop and go circumstance. During the winter the RXh FE advantage declines substandually. Need to heat YOU and the catalyst, lower regen capability pre-emptively when the traction is marginal or if the OAT is near freezing or sub-freezing.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 RX450h which I purchased new in March, 2011. I was averaging 26 mpg overall and often higher until I brought it in for complimentary 10K service. Then the mileage dropped by about 20% and I rarely get over 22mph ever. The engine is running loudly and shakes at times. I brought it back to the dealership. They kept it for several days, called Lexus, and concluded that it was "a bad tank of gas." They drained the tank and returned it to me. After another 5K miles, I still get the same poor mileage. I have read other similar accounts. Has anyone gotten any further in their dealings with Lexus?

My vehicle is the 400h purhased in july 2005, so i dont pretend to know all about your newer vehicle with the atkinson cycle engine, and i will have to take the dealers word regarding the bad gas. What i want to point out is you purchased your vehicle in the spring going into warmer summer weather. The hybrid system, (i.e. battery) is more efficient in the warmer spring and summer months. This is the first time you have experienced your 450h in the winter, typically in seattle i have a 3 mpg PENALTY during cold weather driving in the winter vs what we call summer. This is the reason the first 400h were shipped to Hawaii for their press introduction. I imagine your winter back east on average is much colder than ours. Also premium fuel will result in better mpg. I wonder what fuel the dealer put in when it was changed out. Also did the 'bad gas' plug up a fuel injector, or is that just another way of saying, water in the gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

driving an hybrid is different from any other SUV's and learning curve is required.

I drove during 2 years a RX 400h Black Edition and now a used (1 year old) a RX 450h, with President package plus Techno-dynamic package (including HUD, 2 led xenon adaptative lamps, 15 speakers Mark Levinson audio system, specific shocks absorbers (the car turn flat), ventilated leather seats, etc. i.e. full options except adpatative distance control system.

I love this car and I drive now with the "ECO Mode" engaged (recently as before, during the last 9 months I drove w/o eco mode engaged.

With this I can assure you that the consumption is about 29mpg (US) average including long travel oin motoroways which, in France en Europe, the average speed is minimum 120km/h (74mph) or like in France 130km/h (81 mph).

My best figure is 6,5l/100km or 36mpg (US) and on normal driving conditions, small roads mixed with city driving, the average is approx.32mpg (US).

But this cannot be reached under winter conditions (temperature too low increases consumption for your RX 450h but for all cars in the words.

Driving with air cond. on, also increases when engine is not sufficiently warmed, and often dru=iving small distances when engine is cold each time alos increases consumption.

In additon to this, when you drive hybrid, pulse and glide is much appreciated depending on road geography. when driving around 90km/h (legal speed on road in France and Europe most of the time), you can adjust your pressure on the pedal to find an appropriate current consomption which should be around 7l/100km/h or around 34mpg(US) at a constant speed.

What you can do is when accelerating, you can remove a little bit your foot from the pedal and when you get a hold very light on the pedal you can drive electric and not on the engine but this when you are around 40 to 70 km/h (respectively 25 to 44mph).

There are various Inrternet site explaining how to optimise driving style for hybrid and lowering consumption but this is a learning process. This takes into account how your batteries are recharged or not when you drive in a trafic density

Hope this helps and you will see that figures given by Lexus are closed to reality.

Hi all,

driving an hybrid is different from any other SUV's and learning curve is required.

I drove during 2 years a RX 400h Black Edition and now a used (1 year old) a RX 450h, with President package plus Techno-dynamic package (including HUD, 2 led xenon adaptative lamps, 15 speakers Marl Levison HiFI, specific shocks absorbers, ventilated leather seats, etc. i.e. full options except adpatative distance control system.

I love this car and I drive now with the "ECO Mode" switched on (recently, as before, during the last 9 months I drove w/o eco mode).

With this I can assure you that the consumption is about 29,4mpg (US) average including long travel on motoroways, which, in France and in most Europe countries, the average speed is minimum 120km/h (74mph) or like in France 130km/h (80,77 mph).

My best figure is 6,5l/100km or 36,18mpg (US) and on normal driving conditions, small roads mixed with city driving, the average is approx. 32,2mpg (US).

But this cannot be reached under winter conditions because of temperature (below 12 or 13°C, consumption is higher than in Summer period and this is the same for all cars in the words i.e. all SUV's, sedans... Driving with air cond. switched on also increases consumption when engine is not sufficiently warmed, and often driving small distances when engine is "cold" each time also increases consumption.

In additon to this, when you drive hybrid, pulse and glide is much appreciated depending on road geography.

What you can do is when accelerating, you can remove a little bit your foot from the pedal and when you get a hold very light on the pedal you can drive electric 100% or mixed electric and engine but this can be performed when you are around 40 to 70 km/h (respectively 24,85 to 43,49mph).

There are various Internet sites explaining how to optimise driving style for hybrid and lowering consumption but this is a learning process (lot of info is accessible on toyota prius web site as well). This takes into account how your batteries are recharged or not when you drive in a trafic density, i.e. when batteries are below the 3rd level as indicated on your screen and if you drive slowly in the trafic jam your consumption is very high (engine + recharging batteries and few miles/km covered)

Hope this helps and you will see that figures given by Lexus are closed to reality.

yes, I am having a same disappoint like you, I think this is the false advertisement, I know someone is suing Honda Hybrib because they are taking more gas than they list on advertised. Record all the gas and the milages to compare and see what the different is , may be this will help you decide whether we need to bring this issue to the court or not.

yes, I am having a same disappoint like you, I think this is the false advertisement, I know someone is suing Honda Hybrib because they are taking more gas than they list on advertised. Record all the gas and the milages to compare and see what the different is , may be this will help you decide whether we need to bring this issue to the court or not.

These are EPA numbers. Not the manufacturers. Best to sue the government.

The EPA fuel efficiency number were revised in 2008 to be more realistic, so check the MPG estimates for the 2008 RX400h vs the 2007. Don't compare 2008+ numbers to 2007-.

RX400h: 2007 EPA est: 32 city/27 hwy, 2008: 27 city/24 highway. Same engine.

I usually exceed the highway estimate, but never have gotten the estimated city mileage.

Beside the outdoor temp.'s affect on MPG, the length of the commute also comes into play. If you drives a lot of short trips, less than 10 miles. Than your car spents most of the time in the un-efficient mode of trying to warm up.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same experience with 2012, on long highway trips i only get about 22-23 using cruise control on pretty level highways, I took the car into Lexus and was pretty much told this is normal. Lexus also claims the number are supplied by the EPA not Lexus. Basically Lexus told me this is normal and don't expect them to do anything about it.

I just did a 20 mile trip on the highway with my 2011 RXh and I drove in a manner that would maximize my gas mileage, I got 32 MPG on the highway according to the computer.

I think the issue might be more like 150, or more, highway miles driven. 20 miles is not typically enough to result in even one HV discharge/charge cycle.

I think the issue might be more like 150, or more, highway miles driven. 20 miles is not typically enough to result in even one HV discharge/charge cycle.

The charging and discharging cycle on a RX450h is different from the last gen. On long trips, 150+ miles, if you monitor the battery meter, the battery never goes below 1-2 bars from the top. I have driven the RXh on a few 250+ mile trips and I can average about 28 MPG or more on the highway.

• 2 years later...

Hey boatguy, it sounds like your the only one who got what they paid for, cause I bought my 2006 400H new and have 60,000 miles and my average town and highway is like the rest , 24 to 25 MPG, after sticker said I would get over 30MPG.