Rx400H - Enabling Daytime Running Lights

Hello community!

I recently imported a -07 RX400h from Germany and so far I love the car. There is one problem with the driving lights, though.

In Germany (like in US ?) it is not compulsory to use daytime running lights. So the problem for me is that driving lights switch off when driving on bright daylight, when the switch is on "AUTO" position. In my country it is compulsory to use headlights / daytime running lights on daytime as well. Now only solution is to switch on the lights manually each time.

I think the AFS system works only on the "AUTO" mode, is it true?

So my question - is there anything I can do? The local dealer said they haven't found a solution yet for import cars, which to me sounds strange for such a simple problem.

Thanks for any answers!

So the car "as it is" does NOT have daytime running lights at all? Or do they only come on when the stalk (on the steering column) is set to either "ON" or "AUTO"?

Lexus modifies their cars settings based on where they're being sold to. Here in the US, the Rx400h is designed to have daytime running lights (DRL) ON whenever the nighttime low beam lights are OFF. So if the car is ON, lights of some type are always ON, either low beams or DRL. If the car is ON, the headlights will always be emitting light in some form.

If the stalk on the steering column is set to:

"AUTO": during the day, DRL lights are on only. At night, DRL's are switched off and low beam lights turn on automatically.

"ON": during day or night, low beam lights are on.

"PARKING LIGHTS": during day or night, DRL's are on along with parking bulbs in high beam reflector and on the sides.

"OFF": during day or night, DRL lights are on only.

How do these settings differ with your Rx? Your stalk switch may actually have more settings than the ones i listed above. I know some Lexus model cars even have a "DRL OFF" setting, but our US version Rx400h's don't.

Also, do your high beam lights work? These are the same bulbs used for DRL's. If one of the bulbs is burned out, you won't have any DRL or high beam functions. It's like Christmas lights; if one burns out, they all do. So if neither your high beams or DRL's work, you might just have a burned out bulb. But i doubt it...

And for AFS, whether they work or not shouldn't depend on whether the stalk is set to "ON" or "AUTO"- if the low beam lights are on, AFS should work. There is however a switch for AFS "ON" or "OFF" on the lower console near the gas tank cover open button. At least this is how it works on the US version models...

Thanks for the clarification!

I just realized my car propably does not have DRLs as you thought.

Here's how the stalk works:

AUTO: during the day - all lights off. At night low beam lights turn on.

"PARKING LIGHTS": at daytime only small parking beams on the high beam reflector

"OFF": during day or night, lights are off

The high beam do work normally. So if DRLs use the same high beam bulps, they should use only a fraction of the intensity, right?

Well, actually the trick to cover the light sensor with some tape works quite well and it might be the easiest solution. But if there is a chance to activate DRLs to save the low beam bulps etc, it would be great! Also I like the light sensor function, which I lose with the tape solution.

So the car "as it is" does NOT have daytime running lights at all? Or do they only come on when the stalk (on the steering column) is set to either "ON" or "AUTO"?

Lexus modifies their cars settings based on where they're being sold to. Here in the US, the Rx400h is designed to have daytime running lights (DRL) ON whenever the nighttime low beam lights are OFF. So if the car is ON, lights of some type are always ON, either low beams or DRL. If the car is ON, the headlights will always be emitting light in some form.

If the stalk on the steering column is set to:

"AUTO": during the day, DRL lights are on only. At night, DRL's are switched off and low beam lights turn on automatically.

"PARKING LIGHTS": during day or night, DRL's are on along with parking bulbs in high beam reflector and on the sides.

"OFF": during day or night, DRL lights are on only.

How do these settings differ with your Rx? Your stalk switch may actually have more settings than the ones i listed above. I know some Lexus model cars even have a "DRL OFF" setting, but our US version Rx400h's don't.

Also, do your high beam lights work? These are the same bulbs used for DRL's. If one of the bulbs is burned out, you won't have any DRL or high beam functions. It's like Christmas lights; if one burns out, they all do. So if neither your high beams or DRL's work, you might just have a burned out bulb. But i doubt it...

And for AFS, whether they work or not shouldn't depend on whether the stalk is set to "ON" or "AUTO"- if the low beam lights are on, AFS should work. There is however a switch for AFS "ON" or "OFF" on the lower console near the gas tank cover open button. At least this is how it works on the US version models...

Ahh i see. Normally during DRL mode the high beam bulbs are just given less voltage so they illuminate only slightly. Then when the high beams are flicked on, the bulbs are given their max voltage for most intensity.

You "could" just cover the light sensor which would trick your car into thinking it's always dark out, but then all of your parking light, license plate, rear marker and all of the interior lights will be on as well- which will burn out very quickly. And most are very hard/annoying to get to in order to replace them. :wacko:

Can you just leave the stalk in the "ON" position, so the lights would be ON all the time? That's the equivalent of covering the light sensor.

Try to contact another dealer because i think it's possible to get the DRL's working again. I doubt it's a permanent thing, but more of a "programmed" thing that can be edited by a Lexus intelligence tool. Tell them to look under "light control". <_<

• 4 years later...

I have an Italien RX in Germany. And I would like to know the same. Leaving the lights in the "ON" position is not an option because they don't shut off automatically when you leave the car. A rather loud bell rings that reminds me to turn off the lights...

But I would also like to have DRL lights as they are in the USA. It seems like I can not just activate them b/c they were never an option in the EU.

Toyota normally does not install the infrastructure for DRL when it is not offered in a particular country or region. DRL is not required in the U.S. but Toyota has included DRL on many models and (I think) on all their Lexus vehicles since about 1999.

For example, our U.S. specification 2012 Toyota Prius v (known as the Prius+ in most of Europe) did not come with DRL even though the Canadian specification 2012 Prius v did come with DRL. It was not feasible to add the Canadian type DRL to our U.S. specification Prius since our Prius was missing all the wiring and relays for it. I installed an aftermarket DRL kit but it does not comply with EC DRL requirements since it uses the front turn signals.

My understanding is that the type of headlight based DRL used on the 2007 U.S specification RX. is not sanctioned in Germany and that there is no requirement to add DRL to older vehicles.

Hella has a extensive catalog of aftermarket DRL products. Here is the English language website showing them: http://catalog.hella.com/lighting/lights/daytime-running-lights.html

I just checked the fuse boxes and there is absolutely no wirening for the stock DRL on the European models.

I espacially want the US/Canadian look so I will have to look for some device that feeds 6volts to the highbeams to function as DRL.

• 7 years later...

I replaced the high beam bulbs with LEDs in my 2008 RX400h. They provide a much better light than the regular bulbs but the DRL lights do not work now. Is there a fix for this or do I just need to drive with low beams on?

This statement by Cduluk may have something to do with it:

Normally during DRL mode the high beam bulbs are just given less voltage so they illuminate only slightly.
Then when the high beams are flicked on, the bulbs are given their max voltage for most intensity.