Struts/control Arms @ 60Kmi

I just had my 60K service and Lexus suggested I get new tires. My Toyo Proxes STs had 45K on them, 255/55/18, and I had been researching for about year and decided to get Yokohama Parada Spec X tires (I went back to the original size 235/55/18 since the tire doesn't come in the 255/55...). Anyway, the guys at the tire place were surprised that I just got my car back from a $599 ,60K service because they suggested I need front and rear struts and front control arms. Lexus should have seen this right?...Anyway I was quoted $2,700! Let me know your thoughts anyone...grateful for any opinions...I don't know much 'bout this kind o' stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Rey

Rey, I didn't realize that you were off-roading your RX! Seriously, you should never need those components at that mileage. I would have your dealership do a check at your next visit. By the way, I've been running the Prada Spec-X now for a couple of months and absolutely love them - great tires!

Dave

I would be very suspicious of anybody recommending that...I changed the control arms on my RX300 at 188k miles and 13 years age....Sounds like to me they were fishing for commissions on parts that werent necessary...The Struts should be good for a easy 100k miles or longer..I changed mine previously at 110k miles but frankly it was not necessary. The only bad components were the Upper strut mounts on the front end...

I agree with the above. If you're losing sleep over it, take it back to Lexus and ask them to have a look. I'd trust the dealership before the tire place. The dealership recommended new tires, so isn't it likely that if all that other stuff was worn out, they'd have noticed that as well?

Thanks so much...All of you have put my mind at ease. I will take Dave's advice and just bring it up the next time I take my car in for service. They have taken care of my car for the five plus years that I have owned it and Chris, the man that I always deal with, has always seemed honest with me. Thanks guys so much...oh, and so far...one day Lol...my tires feel great! In my garage my tires used squeal like crazy as I turned them now they are silent...so far they are fabulous and look great. It has even been VERY rainy here for L.A. and I feel safe and secure...I CAN tell the difference and I did like my Toyo tires...but it was time to try something new. I can tell that the new Yokos are smaller than the 255/55/18s but I'll get used to that. Fabulous! I am happy and not so nervous any longer. Rey

I just had my 60K service and Lexus suggested I get new tires. My Toyo Proxes STs had 45K on them, 255/55/18, and I had been researching for about year and decided to get Yokohama Parada Spec X tires (I went back to the original size 235/55/18 since the tire doesn't come in the 155/55...). Anyway, the guys at the tire place were surprised that I just got my car back from a $599 ,60K service because they suggested I need front and rear struts and front control arms. Lexus should have seen this right?...Anyway I was quoted $2,700! Let me know your thoughts anyone...grateful for any opinions...I don't know much 'bout this kind o' stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Rey

I'm actually going through some front end suspension noise too right now at just over 100,000 km (62,000 miles). Every time I go over bumps I get some hollow sounding rumble. Lexus said it was the struts. Still waiting for the parts to come in.