Shaking Steering Column And Gear Shift

PowerDimeDaddy

'Just replaced the upper control arms on my 1992 LS400. Had the wheels balanced, rotated, and aligned.

Now, when the car runs at highway speeds, sometimes the steering wheel shakes terribly. So does the gear shift handle. Usually, I just ride it out and it goes away after a few minutes. Any ideas?

PowerDimeDaddy

Seems like the wheels were not balanced correctly, based on your description. You said that it smooths out? Is there a certain speed at which the problem is recurring even after a few miles? If it were me, I'd take it back to the shop and ask them to double check. Especially if the problem didn't exist previously. If this doesn't correct the issue, then rotate the wheels back to their original position and see if that smooths out.

Thanks,

Micah

Seems like the wheels were not balanced correctly, based on your description. You said that it smooths out? Is there a certain speed at which the problem is recurring even after a few miles? If it were me, I'd take it back to the shop and ask them to double check. Especially if the problem didn't exist previously. If this doesn't correct the issue, then rotate the wheels back to their original position and see if that smooths out.

Thanks,

Micah

The problem did exist before. Only now, it's only the steering that shakes, whereas before, everything shook. It was definitely the right thing to replace the control arms. Rides much better now. I just don't know what to do about the steering.