Broken Tabs On Armrest Switchplate

I just purchased my 2000 ES 300 and love it but there is a problem with the woodgrain switchplate on the drivers side. It appears that somone previously tried to remove it and broke the rear tab off. It looks like it broke where it would be screwed into the plastic on the underside of the woodgrain plate. Ther are 4 screws holding the plastic switch assembly to the woodgrain plate. Does anyone know if that part can be replaced? Suggestions?

I found a power window switch assembly with the woodgrain face plate on eBay. From the picture of its underside, you should be able to fashion a metal bracket that could replace the broken tab and give you a tight fit upon placing the switch assembly back into the door panel.

I've worked in an antique restoration shop and have fashioned just such a fix for several similar switch assemblies over the years. We usually used thin gauge steel plate that was used for replacing rusted floors, door panels, etc. You could use tin from an ordinary can of beans if you wish.

Cut the steel with tin snips in the shape of a fat capital "T", with a much longer tail piece that hangs down. Drill 2 holes to match the screw holes of the mounting screws for the switch assembly to the wood grain, in the top "T". Then bend the tail piece down to match the depth of the switch assembly to the wood grain piece. From there bend the remaining tail piece into the shape required to form the broken off tab section that hooks under the door panel opening. With a little experimentation, you should be able to make up a unit that will secure the switch assembly, and outlast the life of the car. All it'll cost you is some time, ... and a can of beans. Good Luck!

The plastic tab on the other end was broken completely off, not the end with the metal tab. I was able toJBWeld in a strip of slightly flexible aluminum sheet stock (formed into a Z shape. It worked quite well. Thanks for your suggestion.