Vsc System - How To Disable

Mike Floutier

Concurrently with a mis-firing problem I had my VSC warning light come on (along with the regular very annoying beep every time I start). I was able to reset the warning once using the OBD-ll DLC jumping techniques in the manual but when the ignition problem returned (and was fixed) I was not able to reset the VSC again.

I've given up trying to reset the VSC warning as the ignition problem recurrs occasionally anyway.

My QUESTION is - "How do I disable the VSC system?" I assume it may be possible by pulling a fuse but I'm not sure which one.

Kind regards,

Mike

Concurrently with a mis-firing problem I had my VSC warning light come on (along with the regular very annoying beep every time I start). I was able to reset the warning once using the OBD-ll DLC jumping techniques in the manual but when the ignition problem returned (and was fixed) I was not able to reset the VSC again.

I've given up trying to reset the VSC warning as the ignition problem recurrs occasionally anyway.

My QUESTION is - "How do I disable the VSC system?" I assume it may be possible by pulling a fuse but I'm not sure which one.

Kind regards,

Mike

Are you sure you do not want to do some more digging into why the VSC is warning rather than just disabling it altogether? A working VSC can save your bacon in bad weather.

Hi Landar,

As well as the red triangle I'm getting the "Check VSC" message and also the "VSC Off" sign. However the ABS still seems to work ok.

I checked the codes and got 34, 36, 39 & 51 in varying quantities and combinations. My feeling is that it's unlikely that faults on seperate wheels could appear and disappear together.

What appeared to happen is that the VSC warning was triggered as a result of the "mis-firing" that I was experiencing. I still suspect that this is true but am frustrated by my inability to reset the VSC warning having now fixed the mis-firing.

I don't know what else to do so in the absence of any suggestions I'd really like to know how to disable the system.

Having said that I am open to ideas.

Regards,

Mike

Haha Steve, you found me out. I don't really know why I prefer you guys but I just do, having said that there are some great guys on the UK site.

Both my kids have US spouses and live over there. In fact we just got back from visiting. My son is a Platoon Sergeant and Ranger with two tours in Iraq currently based at Ft Lewis. My daughter is just graduating from college and runs her own very successful business. Both have two lovely kids of their own. Sorry to go on but I'm a very proud dad and sad not to be able to hang out with them more.

I guess all that's partly why I feel such an affiliation for you guys.

Anyway.....

Hi Landar,

As well as the red triangle I'm getting the "Check VSC" message and also the "VSC Off" sign. However the ABS still seems to work ok.

I checked the codes and got 34, 36, 39 & 51 in varying quantities and combinations. My feeling is that it's unlikely that faults on seperate wheels could appear and disappear together.

What appeared to happen is that the VSC warning was triggered as a result of the "mis-firing" that I was experiencing. I still suspect that this is true but am frustrated by my inability to reset the VSC warning having now fixed the mis-firing.

I don't know what else to do so in the absence of any suggestions I'd really like to know how to disable the system.

Having said that I am open to ideas.

Regards,

Mike

Now, I recall listening to a video you made, Steve, and you sure did not sound like you had a Brit accent. :) Anyway, as far as the VSC issue, Mike, be careful not to necessarily associate the misfire with the VSC issue. It may just be coincidence. With the intermittent behaviour, I would suggest checking sensor connections and the plug connections to the VSC controller (wherever that is located :lol: ).

I just realised that I forgot to mention that I've already disabled some of the VSC system. I had a problem with the ride height and absorber damping which I also could not solve economically so I pulled the fuse on this.

So I'm already without the automatic anti-roll/dive & submarine along with the manual ride height and variable absorber damping control. All I would lose now is the traction control and ABS which I'm happy to be without. ie. it would be just like and old fashioned car.

So, back to my original question, could you help me by advising which fuse(s) I need to pull to disable the remainder of the VSC?

Many thanks.

Mike

I just realised that I forgot to mention that I've already disabled some of the VSC system. I had a problem with the ride height and absorber damping which I also could not solve economically so I pulled the fuse on this.

So I'm already without the automatic anti-roll/dive & submarine along with the manual ride height and variable absorber damping control. All I would lose now is the traction control and ABS which I'm happy to be without. ie. it would be just like and old fashioned car.

So, back to my original question, could you help me by advising which fuse(s) I need to pull to disable the remainder of the VSC?

Many thanks.

Mike

If you pulled the fuse AFTER the first resetting of the VSC light, maybe that is why you can no longer reset the warning light? IOW, if you put the fuse back in, perhaps you could now reset the light.

Do you have the "VSC Off" button down by the shift lever?

Also Mike, check out this thread -> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/329133-check-vsc-vsc-off.html

Many thanks.

Mike

If you pulled the fuse AFTER the first resetting of the VSC light, maybe that is why you can no longer reset the warning light? IOW, if you put the fuse back in, perhaps you could now reset the light.

Do you have the "VSC Off" button down by the shift lever?

Also Mike, check out this thread -> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/329133-check-vsc-vsc-off.html

Thanks for replying Landar,

The fuse I removed was for the "air-sus" and this was about 30,000 miles before this current problem so not related. The problem, in any case, with replacing the air-sus fuse is that it would re-enable a faulty air-sus system which would jack up all 4 corners of the car to maximum height and set each of the absorbers dampers to maximum - believe you me having experienced that once I never want to do it again. I now adjust those settings manually using a motorcycle battery for the dampers and the relevant "short-block" for the ride height.

With regard to the thread you quoted, this is slightly confusing as it shows 2 differing "shorting" methods of resetting the VSC light, saying that one is mistaken. The interesting thing is that both work but they use differing methodology. The diagnostic section of the manual covers this in detail in the VSC section.

As I mentioned, I have been successful in resetting the VSC earlier in this problem (using the shorting method quoted in your link) but now, however hard I try, I get an immediate repeat.

I really would like to disable the remaining systems that could be responsible for this warning. So if anyone kknows which fuses would do it I would be grateful.

Regards,

Mike

Ok, well there's only a finite amount of time one can allocate to agonizing over any given problem so I pulled the ABS fuse and, sure enough my Red Triangle, Check VSC and VSC off lights all disappeared, exactly what I wanted.

On the downside however, they were replaced by:

1. The ABS warning light,

2. The red brake warning light.

3. The ABS not working - not surprisingly - which as you mentioned is somewhat undesirable, and finally,

4. The power steering starts to whine and isn't as effective as usual.

So, the solution:

1. Replace ABS fuse - haha!

2. Put carefully shaped piece of black insulating tape over offending Red Triangle, and

3. Promote the "Red Triangle ping noise" to the exalted role of "seat belt warning sound". I just have to remember to delay puttting on my seat belt until it pings.

And to think I've been cogitating over this for the last few months; I don't know!!