Remote Key Program

AARON123

JUST GOT A REMOTE KEY OFF EBAY (HYQ1512A) FOR MY 1990 LS400, WHICH OF COURSE DOES NOT FIT MY CAR. I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGONAL REMOTE KEY BUT WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS ONE WORK. IS THERE A WAY TO SWITCH THE REMOTE PORTION OFF THE NEW KEY TO THE OLD ONE, SO I HAVE THE KEY THAT FITS THE CAR WITH THE NEW REMOTE PORTION ON IT? I ALSO CAN'T SEEM PROGRAM IT, I HAVE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS FORUM AND OTHERS.

JUST GOT A REMOTE KEY OFF EBAY (HYQ1512A) FOR MY 1990 LS400, WHICH OF COURSE DOES NOT FIT MY CAR. I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGONAL REMOTE KEY BUT WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS ONE WORK. IS THERE A WAY TO SWITCH THE REMOTE PORTION OFF THE NEW KEY TO THE OLD ONE, SO I HAVE THE KEY THAT FITS THE CAR WITH THE NEW REMOTE PORTION ON IT? I ALSO CAN'T SEEM PROGRAM IT, I HAVE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS FORUM AND OTHERS.

Are you saying that is there a way to get the metal part out and transfer the metal part of your original key into the new one?

Because I wish I could do that!

• 2 weeks later...

We recently purchased a 1991 LS400. It has one remote key with remote button on the side, and we would like another one. Since Lexus charged $75 for an extra master key(not remote), I have been checking them out on Ebay. What do I need to know to purchase an extra key on Ebay? Also how do I program the key?

Here ya go.............

I think the remote control procedure you're putting up is only for the Gen III LSs. I have my doubts if it would be the same on the Gen I or II cars.

All right here is the deal with the Gen. 1 remote keys.

Want new ones, meaning adding another one; then guess what you will have to buy a whole new system with a key to go with it. For one key it is about $160 and once you get that there are no adding on keys. So, you must think ahead of time. So, if you want to then you will have to sacarfice about $350.

On Gen. 1 cars you cannot add on more remote keys to your existing computer you will have to purschase a whole new one for the above price.

"Would be alot cheaper to just go to, for example circuit city and get a remote security system (which unlocks and locks doors, as well as triggers if you bump the car) or just get a remote system under $100, which does alot more then just unlock doors 3 feet away from the car"

93LSowner, I like your idea of a remote security system from Circuit City. Is this a do-it-yourself project? Has anyone done this and do you have any instructions for a 91 LS400? Is there a specific brand that works better on Lexus than any other, etc.? You're right about opening doors only 3 feet away, if at all. I would like one that's more consistent like our 2001 ES 300.

I have a related question: Just got 92 LS 400 with 2 remote keys. One works, the other doesn't. Can you change the battery in these keys? I see it has one small philips screw on key handle.

Also, is there an alarm system attached to this setup? I see a security light on dash, but the car makes no noise or beep when remote key is used.

I am answering my own question. Replacing battery in remote key 92 LS400:

Use a mini philips and remove single screw. With mini flat screwdriver evenly pry open all around key handle so it pops open and doesn't break.

Bend back small metal clamp just enough to remove battery. Replace with a Lithium CR1220 available at RadioShack for $2.99 + tax. Put it back together and your key is good for several more years.

The original Battery is a Panasonic 3V # BR1216 But this is not in replacement catalogs, so maybe Lexus has an exclusive on it so they can help themselves to your wallet.

The Lithium CR1220 is identical in every way, but does not list the BR1216 as a replacement.

It took me ten minutes and I now have a fresh remote key.

http://www.circuitcity.com/searchresults.j...30&dupDept=null

I have the 2nd on in a 1996 Camry. When the battaries were new I could get it from at least about 40-50 feet away. I had it installed by them as well.

But here is link showing you how to DIY.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_security/arti...2271372,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, 93LSowner, for the keyless entry advice. I got the entry system from Circuit City last week and had it installed today. I can't wait to show my husband! It locks and unlocks the doors, turns on the entry lights, opens the trunk, locks doors when the engines starts and unlocks when I turn the engine off-----a lot more than the original Lexus key-----and a whole lot less expensive than ordering somethng from Lexus!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to set up the remote entry, I dont want the alarm system to be active.

All I want is the remote to open the trunk (if possible) and to be able to lock/unlock the doors, a beep or horn sounding when I lock it would be nice too, but now I am getting ahead of myself. I like the factory alarm and would like to leave it alone.

If anyone has done this, help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 years later...
I am answering my own question. Replacing battery in remote key 92 LS400:

Use a mini philips and remove single screw. With mini flat screwdriver evenly pry open all around key handle so it pops open and doesn't break.

Bend back small metal clamp just enough to remove battery. Replace with a Lithium CR1220 available at RadioShack for $2.99 + tax. Put it back together and your key is good for several more years.

The original Battery is a Panasonic 3V # BR1216 But this is not in replacement catalogs, so maybe Lexus has an exclusive on it so they can help themselves to your wallet.

The Lithium CR1220 is identical in every way, but does not list the BR1216 as a replacement.

Thanks! I was trying to do the same thing but not as brave as you ;)

• 3 years later...

Panasonic coin-type lithium batteries are high energy, high reliability batteries for a variety of applications. The full 3 volts in these high energy batteries is about twice that of conventional dry batteries. Panasonic coin-type lithium batteries are available in two types — poly-carbonmonoflouride lithium batteries (BR Series) for users requiring extended reliability and safety, and manganese dioxide lithium batteries (CR Series) for users requiring high voltage and strong load pulse characteristics.

The original battery was a BR1216 and if I can find them at Radio Shack I'll get it --- but if they only have the CR1220 I'll go with that. Thanks for the info!