Horrible Seats?

Gunner45

Just got back from a 800 mile trip over to Kingman, AZ for my brother-in-laws funeral. We just traded an '04 ES330 for a '09 ES350 and this was the first long drive. What horrible seats in the 350. My gawd, my back was toast after 2-3 hours driving. It's a 6 hour drive each way. Any thoughts as to improving the lumbar on these? My wife was complaining after just an hour or so. I'd love to stuff a couple inches or more of foam into the lumbar area since the factory lumbar seem totally worthless. Anyone done such?

Just got back from a 800 mile trip over to Kingman, AZ for my brother-in-laws funeral. We just traded an '04 ES330 for a '09 ES350 and this was the first long drive. What horrible seats in the 350. My gawd, my back was toast after 2-3 hours driving. It's a 6 hour drive each way. Any thoughts as to improving the lumbar on these? My wife was complaining after just an hour or so. I'd love to stuff a couple inches or more of foam into the lumbar area since the factory lumbar seem totally worthless. Anyone done such?

might not be the lumbar

seats bottoms are pitched way down in back.....tooo "bucketed"

try pitching the seat up in the back...so more flat....if you haven't done that already...lumbar will hit in your back more in the lumbar area is my guess

good luck

Seat comfort is one of those subjective areas. What one owner loves, another can't get comfortable in. Good luck in finding an adjustment or solution to your problem.

Would you consider changing cars if you and your wife can't find a solution?

I love the front seats in my ES (had an '07 and now a '10) and found both great for us.

I didn't see much difference in the comfort department between the ES and the Genesis. The Genesis is sportier than the ES and rides more like a BMW 5 series vs the really supple ride of the Lexus...

The dilemma of the universal posterior! I've driven my 07 Ultra about 95k in 4 years, commuting about 100mi. RT 4 days/week, and agree with LexBob2 that you need to try out many combinations of seat positions for at least 1-2 hours each to evaluate. I'm tall, 6-5, and for me, the seats are perfect- but only with the thigh bolster fully extended and the inflatable lumbar fully inflated. I also lean back quite a bit, so my seatback is raked back. The back seats are pretty awful for long trips, however(complaint from the in-laws), so I had two lumbar pillows made at a local leather company in matching hides for about $100. Solved their problem.

I didn't see much difference in the comfort department between the ES and the Genesis. The Genesis is sportier than the ES and rides more like a BMW 5 series vs the really supple ride of the Lexus...

For my part, Volvo has the firmest seating, yet the most comfortable over a long haul of say 8 to 10 hours. Their lumbar support is very good, and the seat back height flows well into the head rest for a seamless full back support. On the other hand, I would always go for the Lexus ride over anyone else's.

• 1 year later...

The seat comfort on ANY vehicle is subjective, you really have to try them out BEFORE buying and determine if they are comfortable for you.

As far as the ES350, I've had two and both my wife and I are comfortable in the front seats, especially on long trips.

• 2 weeks later...

My reading this post is rather timely, I just drove from Hilton Head Island to Indianapolis today. The trip was about 800 miles and the only three thoughts I had about the seats were A. the lumbar is perfect B. the pitch doesn't go far enough (meaning, I wish the back of the seat would go down further and the front higher - to crush me into a human taco), and C. changing from heated to cooled helped make the 12 hour drive more agreeable.

I am 6'2" and the seats are just a dream compared to my former car, a 2007 Prius - you want to talk about uncomfortable.... I only owned the car for 16 months and still have nightmares about those seats!

B. the pitch doesn't go far enough (meaning, I wish the back of the seat would go down further and the front higher - to crush me into a human taco)

I wish the seats in almost every auto I have ever had would do this more! My seats in my GX are as close to perfect as I have ever had but if I could just get the front up just a little more.