92 Ls400 Hesitation When Accelerating

JTF NJ

92 LS 400 70k . This has happen 2 times before, during last summer. When I step on the gas the car seems to lose power. The rpm's go down drastic. I put it in nuetral and rev it and it sometimes comes back. It does stall out but turns right over again. It seems to get worse when it has a load against it.(in DR or REV)I can step on the gas and power is lost. Also now when I sit and idle the rpms go down, it hesitates, then jumps right back to normal. This is our 1st warm day could that be causing something to go nuts? Any advice guys..please. I don't want to spend another fortune on this prob.

Thanks JTF

92 LS 400 70k . This has happen 2 times before, during last summer. When I step on the gas the car seems to lose power. The rpm's go down drastic. I put it in nuetral and rev it and it sometimes comes back. It does stall out but turns right over again. It seems to get worse when it has a load against it.(in DR or REV)I can step on the gas and power is lost. Also now when I sit and idle the rpms go down, it hesitates, then jumps right back to normal. This is our 1st warm day could that be causing something to go nuts? Any advice guys..please. I don't want to spend another fortune on this prob.

Thanks JTF

Sounds like a simple fuel filter, How does your air filter look?, also take apart the throttle body and see how dirty it is aswell as the mass airflow sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JTF

Dirty fuel injectors might be contributing to this problem. I encountered similar symptoms on my 2002 LS430 which were cured after injector cleaning. Since then I pour a bottle of a good fuel injector cleaner into the tank before a long trip every few thousand miles. Also, don't try to save a few bucks by using half premium and half regular gas. Agree that the fuel filter should be changed if not done so as suggested in the maintenance schedule.

Thanks JTF

Dirty fuel injectors might be contributing to this problem. I encountered similar symptoms on my 2002 LS430 which were cured after injector cleaning. Since then I pour a bottle of a good fuel injector cleaner into the tank before a long trip every few thousand miles. Also, don't try to save a few bucks by using half premium and half regular gas. Agree that the fuel filter should be changed if not done so as suggested in the maintenance schedule.

I also noticed after changing the plugs/wires, dist. caps and rotors that the car provides much smoother acceleration. You might want to check this out as it seems like something people neglect on these cars. Mine were the original from 92 :whistles:

Here are a few other things to check:

Air filter

Pcv valve (just clean it with a toothbrush but you need a new grommet and a pair of tweezers)

egr vacuume filter

Let me ask this though, how does the car idle?, pretty rough?