What Are You Guys Paying For An Oil/filter Change?

420benz

First time I went to the Lexus dealer (after the "courtesy" oil changes) they wanted about $80. I left and took it to the Toyota dealer where I bought my 2002 Camry. They have been doing it for under $30 (creeping up a little over the years).

I suspect the $80 was for synthetic..not even Lexus charges 80 for the non-synthetic.

I pay $27 for the oil and $4.20 for filter....The nice thing is i see what is really going on, and the drain bolt will never be stripped. Takes 15 minutes and the city I live in picks up the old oil for free. This is for a full synthetic, and Toyota filter.

• 2 weeks later...

funny, they can buy the oil in bulk and I assume get it cheaper, why do they have to jack the price on the synthetic so high....

I thought that was cheap.

The ES takes 6.5 quarts of oil, Mobil 1 right now is $8.79 a quart in the store. So...7 quarts of oil is $61.53. Plus a filter and a gasket, plus labor.

Sure they get it wholesale, but even then assume its 1/2 price, the oil is still $30, plus the filter and gasket, whatever other fluids they top off, and you get to sit in their waiting area, drink free sodas and eat free cookies and watch the flat screens, they're making $30 on the oil change if they're lucky. Not a lot of things I would do for only $30...

Plus, the cost is what, maybe $5 more than doing it yourself? Why bother?

The salesman told me it would cost 55.00 for an oil change.They would use synthetic oil.

Does that seem average?

I pay $10.00 + tax for oil, filter and tire rotation at Tire Choice using their Credit card. I'm in Central Fl. and with three vehicles this is a significant savings.

Since I change my own oil & filter, the whole job costs me around $40, using Mobil 1 Synthetic and Wix filters.

I bought the Wix filters off eBay for about $4 apiece, and I buy the Mobil 1 at Walmart. I did have to buy a filter wrench from Toyota for $25 so I could properly re-torque the filter cover, but that's a "tool cost" that I didn't include. Also, it's more of a time-consuming job with the odd filter mess, but given the horror stories I have read about over-torquing and stripped plugs, I am happy to spend the time doing it.

• 1 month later...

No one has mentioned Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's guaranteed for 15K miles for normal driving. I use it on my wife's ES350 and my Tacoma. I change the oil every 15K and the oil filter every 5K. I get the oil at Walmart in 5 qt bottles (I buy an extra bottle to top off after the oil changes). I think it runs about $40 for 5/20. For oil filters, I buy whatever good brand deal is on Amazon. Last time I got a case of 6 Wix filters for $48. I just ordered six Hastings (LF607) for $6.13 each (free shipping). So, that comes out to $24 an oil change using the Wix filters, or $22 with the Hastings, plus another $3 or so to top off the oil for the two intermediate oil filter changes.

No one has mentioned Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's guaranteed for 15K miles for normal driving.

That doesn't change the fact that Lexus' position is that the oil change interval should NOT be extended when using synthetic oil. Any synthetic oil. What is Mobil 1's guarantee? Will they replace a $12,000 Lexus engine? If you have sludge (which is incredibly unlikely) and you have only changed the oil every 15k, Lexus WILL NOT honor the warranty. Thats 100% certainty.

"The Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer." http://www.mobiloil....e_Warranty.aspx

Additional requirements for Mobil 1 Extended Performance include:

1. Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
  2. an oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months.

They do suggest to follow the recommended oil change if within the warranty period to "avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty", but to do otherwise doesn't negate Mobil's warranty.

No one has mentioned Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's guaranteed for 15K miles for normal driving.

That doesn't change the fact that Lexus' position is that the oil change interval should NOT be extended when using synthetic oil. Any synthetic oil. What is Mobil 1's guarantee? Will they replace a $12,000 Lexus engine? If you have sludge (which is incredibly unlikely) and you have only changed the oil every 15k, Lexus WILL NOT honor the warranty. Thats 100% certainty.

Personally, I'd follow the manufacturers warranty intervals vs. the oil company/distributors, whether or not I agree with all of it.

Right...who cares about Mobil's warranty when you've voided the manufacturer's warranty? If you think Mobil is going to pony up $12,000 for a new Lexus engine without a lawsuit involved you're kidding yourself.

A complete Amsoil oil change for me is $52.27 (I have an Amsoil membership). That includes 5 qt's of Amsoil 0W 30 'signature series' motor oil & the Amsoil EA synthetic oil filter. I do the oil changes myself & I also have a Fumoto oil drain valve to make my life much easier. I let the old oil drain for hours to boot.

More than a half dozen Amsoil 'dealers' for the same want between $107.50 & $120.00+ tax & that does not include the synthetic oil filter. :whistles:

:cheers:

I just had my oil changed today at a Lexus dealership for $59.95. It included (dino) oil. filter and tire rotation. It was a one time deal for a preferred customer type of card the dealership had sent out.

Even though I didn't buy my current car there (I did buy my previous ES350 there) you get free car washes with the card. I usually do my own washes but may use the card now and then especially in the winter months.