What Are You Guys Paying For An Oil/filter Change?

420benz

These days, that sounds like a super price considering I paid about $32 for a 6-pack of Mobil 1 synthetic oil yesterday at Costco. Personally, I would never in my wildest dreams take a vehicle to someone else for an oil change. My time is money and I can do it is less total time in my garage, at less cost, I know I will do it correctly and I don't have to worry about grease monkeys or porters damaging my vehicles. In fact, tomorrow I'm doing the 20th oil change (at 135,000 miles) on my 2000 LS400 since I bought it in 2003 at 38,000 miles.

With the occasional exception when something goes wrong that I can't solve, I let an "expert" service our vehicles only every 30,000 miles.

The salesman told me it would cost 55.00 for an oil change.They would use synthetic oil.

Does that seem average?

That seems like a very good price. Are you sure it's with synthetic oil? I recently paid $58 for an oil change with dino oil and tire rotation at the dealership.

The salesman told me it would cost 55.00 for an oil change.They would use synthetic oil.

Does that seem average?

That seems like a very good price. Are you sure it's with synthetic oil? I recently paid $58 for an oil change with dino oil and tire rotation at the dealership.

He did say synthetic oil.

I've been paying about $75. This topic comes up all the time, and based on what others have said in the past, you are getting a real low, low, price. Not saying it's too good to be true, but you might want to get the price verified when your introduced to the Service Adviser.

Paul

The ES holds 6 quarts of oil. Mobil 1 synthetic is like $7.25 a quart at the cheapest, if you do the math thats $43.50 just for the oil, not including the filter, disposing of the old oil...at the end of the day we're talking about them changing oil for no profit whatsoever.

This sounds like a situation where the salesman, who has nothing to do with service by the way and probably knows less about what the service at a Lexus dealer costs than we do, talking without actually knowing what he's talking about.

I would be *shocked* if the Lexus dealer would change the oil with synthetic for $55. You should call the service department and ask them.

The ES holds 6 quarts of oil. Mobil 1 synthetic is like $7.25 a quart at the cheapest, if you do the math thats $43.50 just for the oil, not including the filter, disposing of the old oil...at the end of the day we're talking about them changing oil for no profit whatsoever.

This sounds like a situation where the salesman, who has nothing to do with service by the way and probably knows less about what the service at a Lexus dealer costs than we do, talking without actually knowing what he's talking about.

I would be *shocked* if the Lexus dealer would change the oil with synthetic for $55. You should call the service department and ask them.

agree, 0% chance lexus, or a jiffy-lube type place would do it for $55

BUT...a local service station might do it for good will hoping to get future business...if i owned a service shop that is exactly what i would do

Stuff like that doesn't get you as much good will as you think. My business partner and I fight about this all the time, he loves doing stuff for free in the thought that its going to get him a bunch of business down the line...and it just never materializes. For one thing...people don't realize you're doing them a favor by doing things at cost or for free, and when you tell them you are...they really don't believe you.

You can't work for free.

BUT...a local service station might do it for good will hoping to get future business...if i owned a service shop that is exactly what i would do

The difference, is using the term "future business". When a Grocery store advertises Pepsi;a 6 pack for .99 cents, it is a "Loss Leader". They plan on loosing money just to get you in to the store. Once your there you will probably pick up a bag of chips or pop corn, milk, etc. Hey you didn't even spend a dollar on the soda, so you can buy something extra!. But this is present business. Not future business. Future business is what funeral homes are masters of. IMAGE! Peaceful. Rock Steady. Friendly, not gushing. Sincere. They build an Image that guarantees referrals and future business.

Auto garages don't do well with Loss Leaders. They may low ball an oil change, but usually only discount the oil, not the filter. Or make you pay extra for a premium grade of oil. Yes, they will also try an "UP" sell you on tires, mufflers, brake pads, just any consumable. In my experience, Lexus builds future business by treating each customer as a Guest and building trust and respect through training. Let us know what you find out.

I calculated the cost of yesterday's oil change on my 00 LS400 - prices include tax:

$35.71 for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil - purchased at Costco

$ 4.32 for an OEM oil filter purchased in a 10-pack at a Toyota dealer

$ .00 for an oil plug gasket that was included with each oil filter

$ 1.40 for one bottle of Corona Extra (La Cerveza mas fina)

$ .06 for one slice of lime (1/8 x 50 cents)

------

$41.49 Total, not including 1 hour of my time which included consuming said cerveza and listening to Tom and Ray Magliozzi on Car Talk on NPR

Not included is the 5 minutes it will take to swing by and drop off the old oil at Jiffy-lube the next time I accumulate the 5 gallon maximum allowed for 1 drop off. Also not included are the prices of my tools. I've think I can say that my socket wrench set is fully depreciated by now since I bought it in 1971 for use in rebuilding the engine on my long gone 1956 Mercedes 190SL.

I calculated the cost of yesterday's oil change on my 00 LS400 - prices include tax:

$35.71 for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil - purchased at Costco

$ 4.32 for an OEM oil filter purchased in a 10-pack at a Toyota dealer

$ .00 for an oil plug gasket that was included with each oil filter

$ 1.40 for one bottle of Corona Extra (La Cerveza mas fina)

$ .06 for one slice of lime (1/8 x 50 cents)

------

$41.49 Total, not including 1 hour of my time which included consuming said cerveza and listening to Tom and Ray Magliozzi on Car Talk on NPR

Not included is the 5 minutes it will take to swing by and drop off the old oil at Jiffy-lube the next time I accumulate the 5 gallon maximum allowed for 1 drop off. Also not included are the prices of my tools. I've think I can say that my socket wrench set is fully depreciated by now since I bought it in 1971 for use in rebuilding the engine on my long gone 1956 Mercedes 190SL.

Jim,

I know you come through here on a regular basis, would you change my oil for that price while your here?....and I'll even throw in Iowa Chops for the grill!

Paul

Jim,

I know you come through here on a regular basis, would you change my oil for that price while your here?....and I'll even throw in Iowa Chops for the grill!

Paul

that offer would be hard to pass up! and I would furnish the Corona! :cheers:

I have corona, blue moon, stella, and Sierra nevada and my X5 needs an oil change! :) :lol:

The great thing about this plan is that all things would get properly lubricated!!

I have corona, blue moon, stella, and Sierra nevada and my X5 needs an oil change! :) :lol:

Sorry, but your location - "somewhere else" - is too far to drive. :whistles:

Where is "somewhere else"? Are you in a witness protection program? :ph34r:

The difference, is using the term "future business". When a Grocery store advertises Pepsi;a 6 pack for .99 cents, it is a "Loss Leader". They plan on loosing money just to get you in to the store. Once your there you will probably pick up a bag of chips or pop corn, milk, etc. Hey you didn't even spend a dollar on the soda, so you can buy something extra!. But this is present business. Not future business. Future business is what funeral homes are masters of. IMAGE! Peaceful. Rock Steady. Friendly, not gushing. Sincere. They build an Image that guarantees referrals and future business.

Auto garages don't do well with Loss Leaders. They may low ball an oil change, but usually only discount the oil, not the filter. Or make you pay extra for a premium grade of oil. Yes, they will also try an "UP" sell you on tires, mufflers, brake pads, just any consumable. In my experience, Lexus builds future business by treating each customer as a Guest and building trust and respect through training. Let us know what you find out.

thanks Paul, agree, that is where I was headed but was not as articulate, lol

• 5 weeks later...

$110 for dino oil (they will wash your car for free and give you a gallon of winshield washer fluid).

$180 for synthetic (they will wash your car for free and give you a gallon of winshield washer fluid).

Did I tell you my warranty is over in 17 months... :) Lexus oil change here I come. On the bright side, I saved more than $20K by buying a 2009 instead of a 2011. So I can let the dealer rip me off a little ;)

P.S. Costco in America sells Mobil 1, while Costco in Canada does not. Moreover, I buy it at Canadian Tire when it is on sale and beats the US price at Costco :) Last summer when it was on sale, I bought $400 worth of Mobil 1 for my three other cars. Enough to last me 2-4 years. Talk about being thirfty :)

• 5 months later...

I have found a local Midas shop that charges only $20 for a standard 5w-30 change, plus (at times) a few dollars extra when they notice it takes almost 6 quarts and not 5. On occasion, they even have a special that includes rotating the tires. This shop, in Palatine Illinois, does a consistently competent job, but sometimes it takes an hour or so due to "traffic".

What's the difference between the oil 5w30 and 5w20. My invoice from Dealership always say 5w20 but the one oil that I thinking to buy from Canadian Tire is Mobil 1 syntetic 5w30. Sorry for me sounding too ignorant but just trying to do the oil change myself next time. Also what online site would you recommend to buy the Oil filter too. I drive 2007 ES 350. I live very close to Canada/US border so shipping something in US is not an issue.

5W 20 has a little lower viscosity so its a little better on cold startups. The ES uses 5W30 as standard, the dealer probably uses 5w20 because of your location. Either is probably fine.

• 1 month later...

First time I went to the Lexus dealer (after the "courtesy" oil changes) they wanted about $80. I left and took it to the Toyota dealer where I bought my 2002 Camry. They have been doing it for under $30 (creeping up a little over the years).

• 3 months later...

I just paid $64, for synth oil and filter, at a national tire/brake shop. Not much more than the oil and filter cost me if I do it myself. Why bother! (except you can trust your own work will be done right...). I dropped the car off, and picked it up later.

The only reason they do it so cheap is to sell you on other labor - needed, or not. (like the low rear brake pads they didn't notice. Luckily, I checked that myself!)