MARCIANO

Hi all? I am new to this forum and I am sure I'll find tons of information as I enjoy my 2002 GS300. I did a search and didn't find any matches, so I would like to ask the following: My low beams are McCulloch HID's 4300 and my fogs are the same.

What do I do about the high beams since they serve as a dual purpose as day time running lights? I am guessing I cannot use and HID kit for the hight beams, right? any suggestions?

Hi all? I am new to this forum and I am sure I'll find tons of information as I enjoy my 2002 GS300. I did a search and didn't find any matches, so I would like to ask the following: My low beams are McCulloch HID's 4300 and my fogs are the same.

What do I do about the high beams since they serve as a dual purpose as day time running lights? I am guessing I cannot use and HID kit for the hight beams, right? any suggestions?

First, welcome to the club! Second, I am not an expert, but I would like to clarify just exactly what your trying to accomplish. You say your low beams are HID. Is that what you want them to be? I assume your high beams are halogen. Are you wanting to buy a kit to convert them to HID? Also, remember your highs run on 6 volts for the running lights, and 12 volts for high beams. Hopefully someone else will come on here and clarify if an HID would even work in that circumstance.

Paul

Yeah, unfortunately there's no way to convert the DRL/high beam bulbs to HID's. Like Paul said, during DRL mode the bulbs aren't given their full voltage, so it wouldn't be enough to ignite an HID bulb ballast.

You could however run a 6-15V relay and make your own circuit to get an HID bulb to function during both DRL and high beam modes. Have the DRL (and high beam wiring) control a relay which would open a switch whenever your DRL's or high beams are on. You could then use this switch to turn on the HID bulb and ballast using voltage directly from the cars battery. Only drawback of this is that you'd only have one intensity, either ON or OFF. And if you were to install an HID bulb in the high beam reflector, you'd be blinding people even during the day.

Another option is installing LED bulbs. There are several out there in size 9005/9006 in white (same crisp white as HID bulbs) however the intensity is pretty bad, and I doubt they'd last very long. You wouldn't be able to see them during the day since it's the same color as daylight (specifically why factoy DRL's are halogen which contrasts better with the white sky) and they wouldn't give you much light at night in high beam mode.

Your best bet is installing a halogen bulb that emits more of a white color. There are only a few out there and I've tried about all of them with absolutely NO satisfaction. There are some that claim to have higher kelvin colors, but they're all awkward or lacking in intensity...