Rpm And Acceleration Question 98 Ls400

ls400Beaver

Hi I am brand new owner of 1998 Lexus ls400. I am very happy to own it and it is a amazing car. I have never owned a Toyota or Lexus so I want to see if these things are normal with the car. I really appreciate any feed back.

1.) RPM's run normal at 500 in drive. However, after driving the car and shifting it into park the RPM's go up slightly to 600-700. When I shift into gear they go back down to about 500. Just want to see if that is normal?

2.) The car seems to run very smooth and good. However, when the car is in park and I press down on the accelerater it pings right up to like normal on the RPM's but the car seems to have a little resistance feel or like a little light flutter? I feel the same very light flutter when I am accelerating from stops. Almost like it has a little clog or something.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I look forward to hearing back from you. Walk in Love!

How about early morning when the engine is cold?? Does it go over 1K RPM for the few minutes?

My 97 is about the same like yours but if your car is running fine why worry about it then?

Enjoy your ride my friend...

The RPM drop thing is normal, I've never owned an automatic that didn't drop a few hundred RPM when going from PARK to DRIVE, it's the transmission putting a slight drag or load on the engine in anticipation of accelerating. But 500 rpm in drive sounds a little low to me, I think my '99 goes from 800/900 in PARK to 600/700 in DRIVE. If you're feeling any kind of fluttering or vibration I'd suspect a misfire. I'd start by replacing or at least inspecting the spark plugs, if one plug isn't firing correctly you should see a difference in color. I read an earlier post regarding someone's 2000 LS needing a tuneup and the reply was that it was a coil on plug setup so there were no plug wires to change out. From that I assume that new plugs are the only thing required for a tuneup if there are no plug wires/distributor cap/button to replace. If I'm wrong please correct me, I haven't gotten access to the factory repair manual to confirm this for '98s & '99s.

Hi I am brand new owner of 1998 Lexus ls400. I am very happy to own it and it is a amazing car. I have never owned a Toyota or Lexus so I want to see if these things are normal with the car. I really appreciate any feed back.

1.) RPM's run normal at 500 in drive. However, after driving the car and shifting it into park the RPM's go up slightly to 600-700. When I shift into gear they go back down to about 500. Just want to see if that is normal?

2.) The car seems to run very smooth and good. However, when the car is in park and I press down on the accelerater it pings right up to like normal on the RPM's but the car seems to have a little resistance feel or like a little light flutter? I feel the same very light flutter when I am accelerating from stops. Almost like it has a little clog or something.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I look forward to hearing back from you. Walk in Love!

The RPM drop thing is normal, I've never owned an automatic that didn't drop a few hundred RPM when going from PARK to DRIVE, it's the transmission putting a slight drag or load on the engine in anticipation of accelerating. But 500 rpm in drive sounds a little low to me, I think my '99 goes from 800/900 in PARK to 600/700 in DRIVE. If you're feeling any kind of fluttering or vibration I'd suspect a misfire. I'd start by replacing or at least inspecting the spark plugs, if one plug isn't firing correctly you should see a difference in color. I read an earlier post regarding someone's 2000 LS needing a tuneup and the reply was that it was a coil on plug setup so there were no plug wires to change out. From that I assume that new plugs are the only thing required for a tuneup if there are no plug wires/distributor cap/button to replace. If I'm wrong please correct me, I haven't gotten access to the factory repair manual to confirm this for '98s & '99s.

Thank you very much for the feed back.. I believe the RPM's are normal in it. The car is very smooth and awesome. I guess I am just concerned about the slight vibration. When you hit the gas on acceleration it does not really seem to be missing or sputtering.. It is just a very odd light vibration / flutter feel. Almost liek the catalytic converter is clogged. Other then the car seems fine... I am just afraid to take the car in and get taken from the dealer.