Cracked Rear Bumper

Ghost300

Hi everyone,

I was in a car accident the other day (nobody was injured) and the car behind me basically rammed into the rear end of my car. The plastic on the rear bumper of my 2001 RX300 is cracked and split (pretty visibly). I'm taking to the Lexus dealer on Friday, but I thought I'd ask on here for a rough estimate of repair costs beforehand. How much do you think it'll cost? Thanks!

$1,453.22

OK, that's a SWAG (a technical term) but my guess is based on the cost of a new front bumper cover for my 2000 LS400 last week which was replaced by a body shop owned by the Lexus dealer and sanctioned (i.e. price caps) by the company that insures my car.

If there is underlying damage the price could be substantially more.

I assume you know that it is completely your choice on who repairs your car and that the other guy's insurance company should pay for a rental car of a similar size to your RX. I've been rear-ended so many times by idiots talking on cell phones that it's starting to feel routine.

You may have another option that is far less expensive....

There's a franchise called "Colors On Parade" that specializes in plastic bumper repair. Essentially they remove the damaged bumper, use special resins and heat to repair it to like-new condition, paint it to match, and then re-install the now brand-new-looking bumper. Usually less than half the cost of conventional body shop repairs. We have a franchise here in Raleigh, and I decided to give them a try when my wife ran her previous 2000 RX300 into a trailer hitch and punched a two-inch hole in her bumper along with some cracks. The repair was flawless, and the front bumper looked brand new. Total cost (in 2006 if I remember correctly) was just over $400. These guys were perfectionists, very anal about any work leaving their shop. I remember they kept the vehicle an extra day because they were not satisfied with the initial paint match. I saw the first coat and it looked like a perfect match to me. But not to them, so I allowed them to repaint it at no cost to me....

Google "Colors On Parade" and find out if there is a franchise in your area. I guarantee you any time we need additional plastic bumper repairs on any of our vehicles, I'll head straight back to them without even consulting a conventional body shop....

Whoa! This isn't Ghost300's problem. Somebody hit him from the rear. His role is not to save the other guy money but to protect his interests and get a first rate job which in this case appears to be a bumper cover and maybe more if there is underlying damage.

Whoa! This isn't Ghost300's problem. Somebody hit him from the rear. His role is not to save the other guy money but to protect his interests and get a first rate job which in this case appears to be a bumper cover and maybe more if there is underlying damage.

Yea there is no way I would do that in this circumstance now if the damages were his fault and he was frying to avoid filing a claim that is a great idea. In this case the other party is liable so there would be no reason to do this.