What Is An American Car?

pj8708

This new campaign to educate the public shows that the Toyota Corolla is the most "American Made Car" in the United States. It shows all manufactuers plant locations, Number of employees, and automobiles made. Toyota employs over 26,000.

Remember the sign on the pickup truck that tried to run LEXIR off the road?

http://www.whatisanamericancar.com/plants/Toyota

Paul

Interesting side note; As I looked at the map of plant locations, I wondered why they were all concentrated in a swath from Michigan straight south through the mid-east to Mississippi. Any explanation?

• 3 weeks later...

I always love reading stuff like this, but I guarantee that if you ever get into an arguement over what's American and what's Foreign it always seems to come out the same, never mind that Honda's made Accords in Ohio for decades, Nissan trucks come from Tennessee, some Hyundais come from Alabama, some BMWs come from South Carolina, and my old '07 Toyota Tundra was made in Texas. I'd feel more like an American purchasing a 'foreign' car that employed an American worker in a factory in the U.S. over an 'American' car that might have been made in Mexico or Canada. There was a great story on NPR's 'This America Life' on the joint Toyota/GM plant in California that made the old Toyota Corolla/Chevy Nova and what it took to get it started. But I'm predjudiced, too, growing up in the 80's when the Big Three were producing the worst quality cars of their existance will always make me think of American cars as 'second rate' compared to most Japanese cars, and in my mind a Japanese car made in Japan is as good as it gets.

This new campaign to educate the public shows that the Toyota Corolla is the most "American Made Car" in the United States. It shows all manufactuers plant locations, Number of employees, and automobiles made. Toyota employs over 26,000.

Remember the sign on the pickup truck that tried to run LEXIR off the road?

http://www.whatisanamericancar.com/plants/Toyota

Paul

Interesting side note; As I looked at the map of plant locations, I wondered why they were all concentrated in a swath from Michigan straight south through the mid-east to Mississippi. Any explanation?