Hood Struts

brewtime7

eBay is a good place to buy them although they likely won't be OEM. If you would rather stick with OEM, register at http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ for discounts.

Hood struts are very easy to replace. I've done it on both 1990 and 2000 LS400's. It takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes per side.

Hi, slightly off topic, but photo four shows a horn, or similar, immediately below the hood strut. Does anybody know what that is for? It is not the horns operated from the steering wheel, nor is it the alarm sound you get when locking and unlocking from the key. Nor is it the actual alarm, when that goes off, as that uses the normal windtone horns, as operated from the steering wheel. Those are the three things most people say it is for, but no, unfortunately. Any other ideas? Cheers, Keith.

Hi, slightly off topic, but photo four shows a horn, or similar, immediately below the hood strut. Does anybody know what that is for? It is not the horns operated from the steering wheel, nor is it the alarm sound you get when locking and unlocking from the key. Nor is it the actual alarm, when that goes off, as that uses the normal windtone horns, as operated from the steering wheel. Those are the three things most people say it is for, but no, unfortunately. Any other ideas? Cheers, Keith.

It definitely does look to be some sort of buzzer but not the main horn(those are up by the front grill). Being a buzzer, It is not going to make a very "pleasant" noise. It might be an ABS or VSC buzzer.

Hi, slightly off topic, but photo four shows a horn, or similar, immediately below the hood strut. Does anybody know what that is for?

Horn Assy, Security.

Thanks for that, but I wonder what they mean by security? It's not the beeper for the alarm on and off. That sounds more like a piezo, down lower behind the fender, and if this horn's diaphragm is held, it makes no difference to the sound. My Hi/Low horns are different to the illustration, they are wind tone, not external diaphragm type, and they are the ones also used for the alarm. Those are the only two "Security" sounds I can think of at the moment.

Landar, good suggestion, but I think those sounds are from inside the car, again a piezo, or similar. Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice's mates would say!! Lol. Anway, thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Cheers, Keith.

I replaced mine with units from Autozone suggested on this website. I had to do minor fabrication but they were only $20 and have worked great for 8 years. Pretty easy job for anyone with any auto talent

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a set from Advanced Auto which is conveniently located down the street from my home. (ck their website) (2) years ago for around $20 a piece. They have a lifetime warranty so if they fail, I'll be right over there for a free replacement. Took about 10 minutes per side and they work great. Lexus diehards will pay about $75 each at the dealer.