short arm/cold air intake ?

kyle0k

Ok here it goes. i have a 96 lexus es 300. i have a few questions on intake

im getting a weapon r intake. My general questions are .. will i feel a difference in power,what about in gas milage,or in sound(since its automatic tranny,dont kno if that effects sound). also with a new intake will i most likely have to start filling up with a higher octane,b\c right now my dad fills up with 87 and its jsut fine no nocking or anything.

But the IMPORTANT question is this. On their website they have this:

94-95 camry/es300 v6 model 805-140-101

ok but then i scroll down

96-98 ES300 805-136-101

?!?!

to my knowledge i thought 94-96 where identical and that 97 and 98 are a different model engine and everything.

is that some kind of mistake they made?! or is it the air systems maybe are different but the 96-98 have same air system or something liek that. Because i dont kno what to think or buy b\c on some other forum question someone said they found some other intake that also said lexus 94-95. and no 96 or something and he asked if he can put it on a 96 you guys said you dont see why not b\c they are the same. But here its a lil different b\c they Have the year i need but it jsut doesnt make any sense

can anyone help please?

well first off heres the general picture,like i think every model one looks different,i dnot know if its ram or not

http://weapon-r.com/products/productimages/dragonintake.jpg

i looked more carefully and they said its just intake not ram intake(said it not directly but inderictly)

second if it is a ram why shouldnt i? the problem is i can only spend like 150 on that my dad wont ever let me spend more then that on it(if i do he will stop paying for insurance:() so yea.

So if it is ram lets say it wont do anything then? absolutly no better performance(not even sound??)

so if i was to get one of them,which one would you recommend getting the 94-95 one?

lastly whats wrong with weapon-r?? they where rated very good by some magazone or something that did tests. If not them ,what other ones would u suggest b\c all other ones like aem and some dont have one for lexus. And i dont know about getting one thats just toyota b\c the engine bay and some other things might be different.

since the weapon-r intake looks like a short pipe woudlnt it still be better then stock. it has no compartment box restrictions. its a wider pipe i think so more air can go in ,filter is better then oem filter(and also isnt cone more efficent then square). and also the stock "intake" looks liek its a plastic POS while this is sleek metal so air woudl move with less resistance.

some say its bad some say its great.i have one and havent had one single problem with it so i dont see a problem with it.i have the cold air box to go with it though so mine is a little different but the sound will be the same most likley.it sounds deep and i like it.only when you push the gas hard you will hear the deep sound but if you drive like grandma then it will sound normal.

performance is minimal but you can feel a little more power towards high end.also looks nice so for the price if thats all you have to spend then go for it! :D

What about that AEM intake mentioned a couple of weeks ago? Is that a "true" cold air intake? The +10HP/11TQ at the wheels has got me interested. My only concern is that the stock exhaust would be too restrictive to realize those gains, and I'm not planning to do any exhaust mods.

well it says there is one for 94-95 camry but its 315 dollars inwhich i can only spend liek 150.

and here again shows my original problem,AEM which is a very reliable company has wrote one model for 94-95 and a different one for 96 -02

does anyone know why this is???

i think tomarow i might stop by a lexus dealer and find out if he knows anything about that,prabably not,but atleast find out for sure that 95 air system and engine is exactly alike,so if they are i wont give it a risk and ill take the 94-95 system.

" Dear Customer Service,

>

> I am planning on buying a Intake for my 1996 lexus es300

from weapon-r

very soon but i came to a dilema when i searched for that year at

weapon-r.com . In the intakes section you have a 94-95 camry\es300

intake as

model number 805-140-101 but the 96-98 intake as 805-136-101. The main

question i had is that i know in 97 the lexus style and engine

changed and

also from what i knew the 1994-1996 es300's where exactly the

same(1mz-fe

OBD II engines). So how could a 96 es300 take the same intake as the

98 and

a different one from the 95 considering they are the same engine. Is

this

some kind of typing error that you guys have or am i wrong somehow?

>

> Sincerly,

> Kyle

"

REPLY:

Thank you for your inquiry...I will check on the information &

respond to

you by next monday...

Customer service

hmmm,i was hoping on ordering the intake today or tomarow. SKPerformance(or i guess anyone else) what would you do would you get the 94-95 or the 96-98 if you where to get one of the two intakes.

also just found out on a different website that :

1995 Lexus ES 250/300: Now the most popular model in the Lexus line, the 1995 ES 300 receives minor styling changes at both the front and rear. These include a new front air intake, standard fog lights, new brake/signal lights, and a shift in the position of the ES 300 badge from the below the taillight to the trunklid.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...dex.cfm/id/2055

so how could 94 and 95 be in the same intake class when here they say the intake changes for the 1995 edition?!?? damn this is all screwed up. i replyed to comstomer service about this new information i found.

they say they will try and reply by next monday,i was planning on buying it this weekend though.

oh ok thanx that clears a lil up,i think im getting the 94-95. i went to cardomain.com and saved all the pictured i could of engines from years 94,94 and 96 and they look exactly the same. so i think ill be getting the 94-95 intake.

now ive got another questions. How do i go about putting this intake on. im doing it with someone that is good with cars and put on nintakes on alot of other cars but those r sports cars never on a lexus and i just wanted to ask is there any special precations i shoudl have to not break or damgae anything??

ALSO,which should i get the hyper intake(v2 or something liek that) or the dragon intake?????

and does anyone know the difference between them?

in reading reviews of this intake some poeple said they had to make thier own crankcase breather or something liek that,what is that and would i need to. Also they say that the foam intake part is crap and to replace it with a k and n if u want to make it good,is this true? is the foam filter bad?

Well today i bought a dragon intake for a 94-96 camry 3.0 v6 but im putting it on my 96 es300. i should get it in a week and i wanted to ask if i should take any special precautions when im putting it on so i dont damage anything. I kno already that i have to unhook the battery before i put on the newintake and leave it unhooked liek for 10 minutes after everything is set up and only then start the car. But are there any other things i should know. Like any special ways of how to hook up the air flow sensor or w\e.

from a short ram, you can expect an increase in throttle response (due to less piping and the open element filter) and a more agressive suction sound when u step on the gas(due to the absence of the air box). Beware that you might even experience worse performance b/c the open element filter might start sucking in warm engine bay air(not good). IMO theres no real hp gains with short ram, but an intake is pretty much one of everyone's first mods; so enjoy it.

also, expect worse gas mileage b/c ur gonna be gassing it around town cuz u'll probably like the new sound. :ph34r:

well ive already ordered it and i have read many many reviews of peoples and about 9 out of 10 say they have had a performance and mileage gains.

Even though i belive you skperformance b\c i know u have alot of experience,but i just dont see how it wouldnt make a increase at all compared to the stock. just the fact of that it has no box restriction alone is already a bigger gain. I dont see how you can say that its worse then stock when even if it is a POS the stock is a short pipe just like that but its thinner and plasitc.

For example BBSAL has it and he says he likes it.

go for it, but save your reciepts and the orginal parts.....just in case.

Look at the bigger picture, there is no bigger return on your investment than the experience and knowledge that you will gain by doing it.

If it doesn't work out, go back to stock and sell the dragon on ebay as slightly used.

steviej

not really other then make sure the sensor is level because sometimes that messes it up but it should be fine.just unhook the battery and then unhook the stock intake and setup your new one.is really pretty easy.if you need more help just ask!good luck :cheers:

couldnt say it better steve!

if you dont like it when you get it you can allways sell it but im pretty sure you will like it.sound alone will make you like it.haha

like i said though dont expect huge gains in performance because you wont get it but you might feel a bit more power towards the high end like i did.also gas milage is just about the same but i get about 3 to 5 miles a gallon more then before.not a huge increase but still better then stock.

also when the filter goes bad you can replace it with a k&n filter.

WHen the engine is cold you will feel a huge gain.

But once it gets hot under there ,forget about it ( and the ES 300 engine bay is one of the hottest under hood temps around ,due to its lack of air cuiculation)

all the power gains are lost and even then go well below the out put with the stock box.

A short arm is a rice part with zero real world gains.

Just try a good dyno to see the differences or gains and losses which is how i gauge all my mods for effect. As the brain has a tendency to alter perceived gains with the endorfins of a new toy. Kind of why there is usually never bad s*x

(- teeth ,whips and chains, i don;t do or need that)

Look at the Lexus sc 300/ soarer /supra guys with the inline 6 .NO company has made a better intake than the stock airbox with a bfi upgrade! NOT ONE! And all it is ,is basically cutting a hole and removing the ballast from the air box.

It is basic physics

short arm =Hot engine bay air =expanded =less oxygen molecules=more unburnt fuel=wasted gas and performance

cold air intake =smaller volume of air =more oxygen molecules to feed the combustion process= hotter burn temps= better afr =less fuel for a complet burn of fuel= as well as better emmisions also.

well my dad just informed me that he hasnt changed the filter since he bought the car like 5 years ago,so actually when i put on the intake i will feel a huge difference,since its not only a intkae which would add a lil faster feeel but also a clean filter which will boost the horses compared to what it is now!:)

I bought it on dragon intakes and they give u a free refill so after i replace this filter with the free one ,next ill definatly get k and n.

skperformance: well isnt there a whole in the bay where the stock box is leading out to( i think) so now that there ill be nothing there wont air be rushing into the engine bay so it will be a lil cooler.

ok thanx bbsal.

hmm while im down there can i do anything else to improve how cool the engine bay is,or somehow redirect cool air to where my intake is going to be sucking......without like buying the ram kit,im saying just any tips or tricks.