Check Engine Light 96 Ls400 P0420

yotoy82

My check engine light came on a few days ago, went to oreilly and got it scanned, P0420 came up, catalytic converter inefficient Bank One something like that.

I looked up some other threads but it appears this code is very ambiguous. I know one thing for sure is, my LS400 is a bit louder than it should be which leads me to think its a leak/bad gasket. I'm also getting HORRIBLE mileage, ie 200 miles per tank. Could it also be an oxygen sensor?

Guess I'm going to have to take it to the dealer but would like to know what to expect so I don't get ripped off so thanks for any replies in advance.

My check engine light came on a few days ago, went to oreilly and got it scanned, P0420 came up, catalytic converter inefficient Bank One something like that.

I looked up some other threads but it appears this code is very ambiguous. I know one thing for sure is, my LS400 is a bit louder than it should be which leads me to think its a leak/bad gasket. I'm also getting HORRIBLE mileage, ie 200 miles per tank. Could it also be an oxygen sensor?

Guess I'm going to have to take it to the dealer but would like to know what to expect so I don't get ripped off so thanks for any replies in advance.

My check engine light went on at about 90k miles on my 95 LS400, and its been on ever since. It was diagnosed at times as an oxygen sensor and at other times as the catalytic converters. Over the next 60k miles I have replaced the oxygen sensors and a leaky exhaust pipe and mufflers, but not the converters. Car runs good and sounds good, and gets good gas mileage, about 350 miles to the tank, combined city highway.

One thing for sure, the dealer consistently ripped me off, my local mechanic has been reasonable and reliable. Good luck.