Confused Need Help

420benz

I have been checking out the Lexus ES-350 the Buick Lacrosse and the Hyundai Genesis and i mus say the choice has been very difficult.I know most of you will be very bios since this is a Lexus forum. But i just need a very good reason to choose one of these cars.

I looked at all the same cars before I bought, as well as the Cadillac CTS, the Acura TL & the Infiniti G37. I'll just compare the ones you've asked about though.

To me the best car in this class is the Hyundai Genesis. You get RWD, a V8 if you want it, a bigger car with arguably a better quality interior. Handling is better than the ES but it doesn't ride quite as smoothly. The downside is that its a Hyundai, honestly. You don't get the brand prestige, you don't get the dealer and support experience, and you don't get the resale value you get with the Lexus.

The Buick is also a nice car, but personally I hate the interior. To me its a mess of cheap materials, fake wood, unneccisary angles and bulges trying to look modern...in a Disney World Tomorrowland sort of way. Nothing elegant about that interior vs the interiors on the Genesis or the ES IMHO. The car rides and drives well...similar to the ES. Again...you don't get the brand prestige, dealer experience, or the resale value you get with the Lexus.

At the end of the day, driving a "Lexus" is a symbol of the hard work I've put in and the success that I've gotten back out of life, and I couldn't bring myself to trade my Lexus in on a Hyundai. Is that small of me? Probably but its the truth.

Have you driven them? What do you prefer?

I looked at all the same cars before I bought, as well as the Cadillac CTS, the Acura TL & the Infiniti G37. I'll just compare the ones you've asked about though.

To me the best car in this class is the Hyundai Genesis. You get RWD, a V8 if you want it, a bigger car with arguably a better quality interior. Handling is better than the ES but it doesn't ride quite as smoothly. The downside is that its a Hyundai, honestly. You don't get the brand prestige, you don't get the dealer and support experience, and you don't get the resale value you get with the Lexus.

The Buick is also a nice car, but personally I hate the interior. To me its a mess of cheap materials, fake wood, unneccisary angles and bulges trying to look modern...in a Disney World Tomorrowland sort of way. Nothing elegant about that interior vs the interiors on the Genesis or the ES IMHO. The car rides and drives well...similar to the ES. Again...you don't get the brand prestige, dealer experience, or the resale value you get with the Lexus.

At the end of the day, driving a "Lexus" is a symbol of the hard work I've put in and the success that I've gotten back out of life, and I couldn't bring myself to trade my Lexus in on a Hyundai. Is that small of me? Probably but its the truth.

Have you driven them? What do you prefer?

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It IS a good car, and I will admit that after working hard for many years I am not ashamed to say I enjoy the prestige as a reward.

My 2 cents goes like this:

In electronics, when companies like Samsung started up years ago they sold mostly low end equipment. Now they are one of the most respected companies in the world!!

This also holds true for the Hyundai Corporation. Their first automotive offerings were really pretty sad, but now, their achievements in this department is so great that

in simple terms are "shocking". As an example, read any of the numerous auto magazines that have tested their vehicles, from sedans, crossover SUV's, or full size SUV's, and most

all of them have glowing reviews across the board.

As far as I'm concerned, I would definitely consider buying a Hyundai, mainly because of what I have seen and driven.

About 5 years ago I flew out to Phoenix, AZ, and I had reserved a Toyota Camry from Hertz, but when I went to pick up this car the representative told me there were none available.

He then told me that he had a new Hyundai Sonata available. Needless to say I was slightly disappointed, but I decided to give it a try. To make a long story short......I enjoyed

driving this rental more then any rental car I have had in the past. The car was extremely comfortable, well built, no rattles, economical, and handled superbly. And I'm talking about

driving this car hundreds of miles, going up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and down to Mexico. It was a totally great experience!

By no means am I trying to berate Lexus automobles, since I've owned 4 of them since 1991, but the question arises......how come a fairly new car company like Hyundai can give you a warranty

that blows away what Lexus offers, and through the years I've had Lexus transmission problems that Lexus never addressed to my satisfaction. This caused me to trade in a 2003 ES300, with

about 10K miles on the odometer for my present car. To this day I'm pretty *BLEEP*ed about this previous experience!!

At this point in my life, the most important thing in an automobile is my satisfaction, and not trying to impress people. :)

My 2 cents goes like this.

In electronics, when companies like Samsung started up years ago they sold mostly low end equipment. Now they are one of the most respected companies in the world!!

This also holds true for the Hyundai Corporation. Their first automotive offerings were really pretty sad, but now, their achievements in this department is so great that

in simple terms are "shocking". As an example, read any of the numerous auto magazines that have tested their vehicles, from sedans, crossover SUV's, or full size SUV's, and most

all of them have glowing reviews across the board.

As far as I'm concerned, I would definitely consider buying a Hyundai, mainly because of what I have seen and driven.

About 5 years ago I flew out to Phoenix, AZ, and I had reserved a Toyota Camry from Hertz, but when I went to pick up this car the representative told me there were none available.

He then told me that he had a new Hyundai Sonata available. Needless to say I was slightly disappointed, but I decided to give it a try. To make a long story short......I enjoyed

driving this rental more then any rental car I have had in the past. The car was extremely comfortable, well built, no rattles, economical, and handled superbly. And I'm talking about

driving this car hundreds of miles, going up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and down to Mexico. It was a totally great experience!

By no means am I trying to berate Lexus automobles, since I've owned 4 of them since 1991, but the question arises......how come a fairly new car company like Hyundai can give you a warranty

that blows away what Lexus offers, and through the years I've had Lexus transmission problems that Lexus never addressed to my satisfaction. This caused me to trade in a 2003 ES300, with

about 10K miles on the odometer for my present car. To this day I'm pretty *BLEEP*ed about this previous experience!!

At this point in my life, the most important thing in an automobile is my satisfaction, and not trying to impress people. :)

You make some excellent points. There is no prestige in paying too much. Nor is there any prestige in paying for a badge that has prestige from clever marketing and no substance. I perceive there is substance in my Lexus and Prestige because I can back up the marketing with that substance. In the end, perception is reality. (By the way, I don't like the Camry.)

Paul

One big thing about the Hyundai warranty people don't realize is that its not transferrable to a second owner. The second owner winds up with coverage similar to a typical warranty...

Thats how they get away with offering such a warranty.

As for the prestige issue, to me its not really about impressing people...its more how it makes me feel about myself. Driving the Lexus home after a 12 hour day like today...it feels like an accomplishment. When I pull up to a listing appointment in it, people automatically take me a little bit more seriously than if I were in a lesser car. Its really a part of who I am, it makes a statement.

A Hyundai...however nice a car it may be...doesn't make that statement. So, if I'm going to work my !Removed! off to drive a $45,000 automobile...I can't bring myself to make it a Hyundai.

Here's a question for you, 5 years ago you had that Sonata loaner, that would have been before you bought your ES350. Why didn't you buy a Hyundai instead? Granted...the Genesis didn't exist then, but the Azera did...which is similar.

One big thing about the Hyundai warranty people don't realize is that its not transferrable to a second owner. The second owner winds up with coverage similar to a typical warranty...

Thats how they get away with offering such a warranty.

As for the prestige issue, to me its not really about impressing people...its more how it makes me feel about myself. Driving the Lexus home after a 12 hour day like today...it feels like an accomplishment. When I pull up to a listing appointment in it, people automatically take me a little bit more seriously than if I were in a lesser car. Its really a part of who I am, it makes a statement.

A Hyundai...however nice a car it may be...doesn't make that statement. So, if I'm going to work my !Removed! off to drive a $45,000 automobile...I can't bring myself to make it a Hyundai.

Here's a question for you, 5 years ago you had that Sonata loaner, that would have been before you bought your ES350. Why didn't you buy a Hyundai instead? Granted...the Genesis didn't exist then, but the Azera did...which is similar.

I realized that the Hyundai warranty is not transferable, but I wouldn't be concerned about that. The main thing is it would be in effect when I owned the car.

5 years ago Hyundai was just starting it's upsurge, so at that time I wouldn't have considered buying one. What I was talking about is the current state of affairs of this companies offerings.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you all that Hyundai is coming around to be an excellent car for a damn good value. Didn't some major car magazine just rate the upcoming/already out Hyundai Equus as being higher rated than the friggin' LS? I only sat in the LS but I know from my experience with my ES, the LS has to be awesome. But if Hyundai's comparatively quality product can be had for much less dough, I would be hard pressed to get the Lexus. My comfort and piece of mind is what matters most. Not the amount of money I shelled out. Perhaps if Hyundai finally released their own luxury emblem like people were speculating, then perhaps people will start associating 'prestige' to the Korean car line... I sure enjoyed my weeklong Sonata loaner experience when I had my ES in the shop.

Currently looking to potentially replace my ES for a RX possibly... Can they please friggin' do a major update on that car's design though? It looks generally the same for the last decade or so...