To Change Or Not To Change?

incanada

Hello everyone,

I have done some research and it seems to me that transmission fluid WF ATF is not changeable in my 2008 GX. Maintenance manual on Lexus website and a Dealer say it needs to be changed. So change or not to change?

Just because you don't have a dipstick for the transmission does not mean the fluid can not be changed. There is probably a sealed stub that can be removed and let the transmission be refilled. The pan should be removed and the filter exchanged at the same time. Another way is to have the transmission flushed by removing two hose connection and connecting them to a machine that removes and re-installs the fluid.

Pete

Just because you don't have a dipstick for the transmission does not mean the fluid can not be changed. There is probably a sealed stub that can be removed and let the transmission be refilled. The pan should be removed and the filter exchanged at the same time. Another way is to have the transmission flushed by removing two hose connection and connecting them to a machine that removes and re-installs the fluid.

Pete

Hello everyone,

I have done some research and it seems to me that transmission fluid WF ATF is not changeable in my 2008 GX. Maintenance manual on Lexus website and a Dealer say it needs to be changed. So change or not to change?

Like the other poster said, its changeable. Here's an attached tech note on how this would be done at the dealership. Its little more complex than the kind of transmission with the dipstick. I have not done mine yet since I don't drive under extreme condition and no towing involve. For a piece of mind, I am going to do mine later this year.

Hope that helps.

2010-01-19_000334_RM0.pdf

• 5 months later...

I just had the transmission fluid changed on my '07 with 65k miles, along with front/rear differentials and transfer case fluids.

Lexus quoted me $638; Toyota of the Desert (right across the street from them) did it for $420, and tightened/lubed the driveshaft at no additional cost.

(The transmission alone was $179 at Toyota; $260 at Lexus.)

John

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

Like the other poster said, its changeable. Here's an attached tech note on how this would be done at the dealership. Its little more complex than the kind of transmission with the dipstick. I have not done mine yet since I don't drive under extreme condition and no towing involve. For a piece of mind, I am going to do mine later this year.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the document link. I will check out this fill and drain plug the next time I do an oil change on an '07 GX470.

• 4 months later...

On my GX470 2005, they recommend regularly checking it but don't change unless required. Recently checked it manually (by slightly releasing the screw under the bottom and allow a minor leak of the transmission fluid) -- it's still very transparent and I was said it doesn't need to be replaced.

• 1 month later...

On my GX470 2005, they recommend regularly checking it but don't change unless required. Recently checked it manually (by slightly releasing the screw under the bottom and allow a minor leak of the transmission fluid) -- it's still very transparent and I was said it doesn't need to be replaced.

Just curious how many miles you have on your rig?

I haven't got around to changing it yet as shifting is still smooth. I have about 128K on mine and don't drive very aggressively.