Gs 400 Stalling Problems

I have had my GS 400 stall on me twice in the last month. It has happened when I have been in slow (stop and go) traffic up hill. It's almost like bogging the clutch ( on a manual trans.). Is this a trait of the electronic transmission? My idle does seem low (550) at times. Again this is a certified preowned, I'll be calling the dealer on Monday. Any input would help.

I've never seen a Co2 sensor. J/P ;)

You mean O2 sensor. It is possible but unlikely to stall a vehicle. Air filter clean? What grade fuel are you running and how long? The car needs high test fuel. Possible battery terminal connections. Ignition items - wires, plugs, dist, and rotor (I don't know if they have them on newer models), coil. Fuel filter - pump relay or control unit or pump.

Typically it has been seen with these when they stall while driving that the cause has been the fuel ecu. There is a test for this on the 1uz-fe but I'm unsure if the procedure is the same. It involves bypassing the fuel control through the diagnostic port and running the fuel pump in high voltage mode. If the vehicle does not stall - the fuel pump ecu is to blame.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks guys for the info. I do use hi-test fuel, and come to think of it it happens after I just fill up. I haven't contacted the dealer yet but it does sound like a fuel problem.

FYI: we do use CO2 sensors in the HVAC industry.

Thanks again,

SOCALGS

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the throttle assemble/pulley that went bad and it had to be replaced. I hope you have a warranty, otherwise your be paying around $1500 to get it fixed.

well i had a similar problem the other day......i was on a slight hill and my car just stalled liek it was a manual and the clutch didnt catch on the hill. so i jsut restarted and she was fine and it was right after i filled my gas tank i hope i dont have this problem again but it was just odd to see an automatic stall like that......the only thing i did was let off the break so that the car would like slide up a lil to the next car and bam she stalled. i duno??!!

~ Stella

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem on 99 GS400. The dam gas pedal sensor went bad just after the warranty expired. I advice you to get this fixed, because eventually your car will run in "limp home" mode.

When I first bought the car I had similar problems with the car stalling at or just before a red light. Turns out, the senor that gauges the amount of pressure applied on the gas pedal went bad. Of course, I was out of town when my sensor went completely bad. Apparently, according to my salesperson, the 98-99 gs series had this defect and was recalled internally. I had about 50K miles on my car when it completely went.

From my own painful experience, i would have it checked. My dealer originally misdiagnosed

the problem. They said the same thing that it was the O2 sensor. So, I had that replaced and the car stalled on me again on the NJ Turnpike. It was the gas pedal sensor.

Does the car stall when you are slowing down? Like when you are approaching a red light or a toll.

Just when you give it a tap on the gas pedal.

Hope this helps!

Have you got this problem fix yet? GS are bad with their TPS(throttle position sensor). Yes the unit ain't cheap. After installing it

you will have to adjust to 15% throttle. Good luck

JPI