Odd Rust Stains On One Exhaust Tip...

SW03ES

I've noticed a weird issue with the driver's side exhaust tip. After driving in the rain...really coming in contact with any moisture at all, that tip gets rusty water that builds up in the edge of it and stains the hell out of the tip. The tip itself is not rusted, the water flowing into the tip is rusty. The stains polish out with metal polish...but that literally needs to be done every wash. Very annoying.

Here are some pictures, this never happens to the passenger side tip. The water builds up there, but its always clean water. This is after two days of driving in the rain, and a carwash today. Before the rain the tip was polished with metal polish.

First photo is the clean tip on the passenger side, the second is the issued one on the driver's side.

Any ideas? Water is flowing over something rusty inside the exhaust on that side...

post-564-0-36559600-1299536190_thumb.jpg

post-564-0-91744500-1299536196_thumb.jpg

I've noticed a weird issue with the driver's side exhaust tip. After driving in the rain...really coming in contact with any moisture at all, that tip gets rusty water that builds up in the edge of it and stains the hell out of the tip. The tip itself is not rusted, the water flowing into the tip is rusty. The stains polish out with metal polish...but that literally needs to be done every wash. Very annoying.

Here are some pictures, this never happens to the passenger side tip. The water builds up there, but its always clean water. This is after two days of driving in the rain, and a carwash today. Before the rain the tip was polished with metal polish.

First photo is the clean tip on the passenger side, the second is the issued one on the driver's side.

Any ideas? Water is flowing over something rusty inside the exhaust on that side...

We have a combo of flurries and light rain at the moment so I won't run out to the garage right now to look at my exhaust tips. However, you know so much more than I do that I'm not sure I can offer much. Is the tail pipe stainless steel or is it susceptible to rust? In the morning I get some moisture out of the tips first thing after starting. Are there tiny scratches in the inside tip finish where that moisture can collect and rust? Is the driver side muffler rusty inside and putting out moisture?

I know these are all far reaching but tying to help. Good luck.

Paul

I don't know, I've looked up under the rear corner of the car and haven't seen any signs of rust...

I'm going to try and swing by the dealer on Wednesday and see what they think...I need to have the possessed seek/track buttons on the steering wheel looked at anyways.

I don't know, I've looked up under the rear corner of the car and haven't seen any signs of rust...

I'm going to try and swing by the dealer on Wednesday and see what they think...I need to have the possessed seek/track buttons on the steering wheel looked at anyways.

Odd that it is only the one... Must be the moisture that is coming-out of the exhaust on the one side of the car...

But moisture does come out both tips...its just the moisture on the passenger side is clean...

Given the materials in the cat. converter it can't be that, it almost has to be inside that muffler don't you think?

Oh yeah, for sure. Its not a true dual exhaust, ahead of the rear axle it goes to one pipe like most transversely mounted engines. So its got to be in the muffler...

Oh yeah, for sure. Its not a true dual exhaust, ahead of the rear axle it goes to one pipe like most transversely mounted engines. So its got to be in the muffler...

That is kind of what I meant about the moisture issue...since it isn't a true dual you may be getting more moisture on one side because of the bend in the pipe. It's funny if you get behind some cars you can see the bend in the pipe so it could be more moisture collecting on one side of the exhaust?