1999 Rx300 Awd Hard Shift

klefree

My 1999 AWD RX300 about 3 weeks ago it did not shift to reverse. After three attemp to shift it to reverse I had to apply gas to about 2000RPM and it finally kick in reverse with jerking motion. It ran find after that. I took to Lexus of Westminster in CA and after they had the car for 3 days, they could not duplicate the problem. Five days ago when it came to a complete stop at a stop light it down shift really hard and when depart I have to apply more gas in order for the first gear to kick in with jerking motion and it ran fine after that. I took it back to the dealer and they still have my car without any resolution yet. Do any of you experience the same way please let me know. Thanks

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Do not get your tranny rebuilt!!!!!!!!!get a used low miles tranny for around $1200 to $1600 and pay around $300 labor........I have been through this......you will pay around $3000 to $4000 to get rebuilt.... :(

Just a question....how many miles does your RX have on it? Also, did you regularly change the tranny fluid? My reason for asking is not to point blame, but I am trying to decide whether I should buy another extended warranty after my current one runs out. I have around 78K on our RX and I have regularly changed the fluid. I know lots don't promote 3rd party extended warranties....but I can handle a $50 deductable a lot better than 2-5K for a rebuilt tranny!! Thanks!

RX300 transmission is not bad at all, I have seen someone's RX have close to 215K miles with the same transmission. He told me that he always change tranny fluid and filter every 15K miles and oil & filter every 5K miles, the only things that went bad on him are the oxygen sensor, EGR modulator and thermostat so far...oh and battery (which are normal at that miles). Bytheway for those of you that have over 90K miles, timing belt replacement is a must.

• 16 years later...