1994 Es300 Immediately Stalls After Start.....

Two days ago, my 1994 Lexus ES300 stalled immediately after I started it. In my attempts to repair the problem, I have replaced mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, and spark plugs. I have also taken out and cleaned the throttle body as well as the IACV (idle air control valve). However, the car still stalls immediately after start. Even if I start the car with accelerator pedal fully depress, the car would still immediately stalls after starting. In short, my car is currently able to crank and start, but it would immediately stalls afterward.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

P.S. A couple months ago, I replaced the timing belt and water pump. The car has been driving great until two days ago.

You have to pull the plastic panel about 3x4 inches above your left knee, the obdII connector is there next to the fuses. The round connector below the steering wheel is a lexus specific connector of some type.

But not having a check engine light on suggests there are no codes as you say, unless the light is out itself. Easy test, as the light should come on when you first start then wink out.

I can't even guess what's causing your start 'n stall problem. You must be getting gas or it wouldn't start at all. I would have gone for the same things you did. I do wonder about the cold start injector, which if bad might prvent it from staying "started" when cold.

Hope others have some ideas...

LL

You have to pull the plastic panel about 3x4 inches above your left knee, the obdII connector is there next to the fuses. The round connector below the steering wheel is a lexus specific connector of some type.

But not having a check engine light on suggests there are no codes as you say, unless the light is out itself. Easy test, as the light should come on when you first start then wink out.

I can't even guess what's causing your start 'n stall problem. You must be getting gas or it wouldn't start at all. I would have gone for the same things you did. I do wonder about the cold start injector, which if bad might prvent it from staying "started" when cold.

LL

I connected the OBDII reader to the OBDII connector next to the fuse box. However, the OBDII reader gets the error message that it can not connect to the computer. Since it can not even connect to the car's computer, it does not have an error code for me to read. The OBDII reader works fine on other cars so the reader is in working condition.

Hmm. My obdII reader needs the car to be running before it'll interface (I've a connect to laptop reader cable). So if you can keep it running long enough you might get a read.

I looked in my Haynes under trouble shooting. For "engine starts but stops immediately:

1. Loose or faulty electrical connections at ... coils or alternator

2. Insufficient fuel reaching the fuel injectors

3. Vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and the throttle body.

LL

• 1 year later...

LL

I connected the OBDII reader to the OBDII connector next to the fuse box. However, the OBDII reader gets the error message that it can not connect to the computer. Since it can not even connect to the car's computer, it does not have an error code for me to read. The OBDII reader works fine on other cars so the reader is in working condition.

I feel your pain bro!!!I have the same problem in my 95 es300.I was at a light when my car just stalled.figured i needed gas.filled up and tried again with no luck ive replaced the fuel pump and filter,cleaned iac valve checked egr and modulator.Still no luck

whats crazy is your problem is the same exact problem with mine.I know our cars can use an obd2 reader to get codes but for some reason it just says no link.The code reader will not link with the car even though ive used it a million times before.

If anyone has any info on this problem please help us out!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm. My obdII reader needs the car to be running before it'll interface (I've a connect to laptop reader cable). So if you can keep it running long enough you might get a read.

I looked in my Haynes under trouble shooting. For "engine starts but stops immediately:

1. Loose or faulty electrical connections at ... coils or alternator

2. Insufficient fuel reaching the fuel injectors

3. Vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and the throttle body.

LL

I am hoping to find an answer to this problem also!I have been stuck working on this problem for months!!!!I am slowly starting to give up please help!!All feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did u guys solve the problem or find out what is causing it to stall? Does it rough idle for a while or does it just stalls immediately after it is cranked up???

• 8 years later...

Did anyone solve this problem I have a 96 es300 stalls right after startup 

Ive replaced the fuel pump, maf sensor, cleaned the iac valve, cleaned the throttle body, I don’t hear any vaccuum leaks or anything so i am just stumped and really frustrated I’ve checked every single fuse and they are all good 

also same thing with mine obd scanner won’t connect says “failed to link” or whatever 

if anyone has a solution to this problem would be awesome