2000 Es300 Cd Error

Bought my 2000 ES300 recently. Has the 6-disc glovebox mounted CD changer however the cartridge was missing.

Got one off Egay for $30 NIB, tried to load two discs ( slots 1 and 6 ). Pulls CD from cartridge fine as far as I can see however it won't play. The changer tries 3x times before displaying "ERR" on the head unit.

Bought another CD changer for $50, same issue.

Cartridge number is Toyota 86273-50050, thought I read somewhere there were a few "bad" mazagines floating around else I have the wrong cartridge. It loads and ejects fine, just won't read the CD.

Thanks for any input!

Silly questions but have you loaded the CD's facing the right direction? Per the instructions on the cartridge: "Set the disc with the label side face downward."

Also, the CD changer of that vintage will not read and play MP3. If they are MP3, use software (even Windows Media Player will do it) to convert the MP3's to a compatible format and burn on to a high quality audio CD. I've burned a number of CD's that play just fine in my 2000 LS400 CD changer.

Silly questions but have you loaded the CD's facing the right direction? Per the instructions on the cartridge: "Set the disc with the label side face downward."

Also, the CD changer of that vintage will not read and play MP3. If they are MP3, use software (even Windows Media Player will do it) to convert the MP3's to a compatible format and burn on to a high quality audio CD. I've burned a number of CD's that play just fine in my 2000 LS400 CD changer.

Well the "silly" question was the right one. Who reads directions ( both on the cartridge and holder ) that say to place it facing down?!? Typical guy, I can't even ask directions LOL.

Anywho thanks a ton! Plays like a champ, guess I'll keep the "extra" one around in case the other dies.

Cool! At least it was nothing serious.

Your "who reads directions" comment got me thinking about how I made quite a nice living for decades mainly reading directions and explaining them to others. One of my favorite educational illustrations is attached.

post-2157-0-25239700-1299463037_thumb.jp

LOL, funny part is that I went out and bought the Owner's Manual ( missing too ) off Egay so I would not have to ask questions like this.

Ah well, I was overdue for a Oh Heck moment. Engine/mechanical stuff can be sluffed off fairly well, not this one tho!