Purchase New Engine Or Used Or Trade In My Rx 300 For Rx 330

sadie19

I have an rx 300 199 that has 123,000 miles on it, the engine is having serious problems and I am not a mechanic so I can explain what exactly is wrong with it except that when I accelarate the speed omre then 45mph the car feels like it is coughing lol, thats the best way to explain it. When I took it to several mechanics to get different opinions they all said i need a new engine and explained there is several misfires and there is an internal oil leak that is causing the engine to fail.

I am estimating to spend about 3000-4000 on a new or used engine but after reading so many comments about how the transmission and engine failures on the rx 300 have i am skeptical on spending that amount and i am not reconsidering trading it in as is for an rx 330 that i am understanding the problem is fixed on the newer models. Now my question is should i trade it in or should i fix my vehicle and just replace the engine. the rx 300 is paid off but if i trade it in i will Have a car note i can afford, but i just hate to replace the engine on the rx 300 to then later on after a yr so have the same issue come up again.

any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you. :whistles:

will not cost you 3000 to replace engine head gasket. i don't know where you at, but around here, we have greg's japanese auto, that's a place to do this at. or a known reliable independent. my guess is job should cost you around 8-900 bucks. you prolly need to do timing belt and water pump same time, it's should be parts only, as they will have to remove all this anyway.

i am very hesitant to trust that opinion, btw. misfiring in cylinders is usually either bad plugs, or timing issues, or one of the sensors. coughing is normally a sign of backfiring, and that is definitely timing issue.

what you need to do, and i am trying to save you a lot of money, is to get it to a place like greg's, have solid testing done, problem pinpointed, and then estimate looked at.

reason i mentioned engine head gasket is because it may be a possible cause for internal oil leak. how your mechanics determined there's leak, i have no idea. spark plugs fouled with oil are usually caused by bad valve cover seals. i have gut feeling, you are being taken for a ride, hence, 1st stpe is to have proper diagnostics done, not just Joe give his opinion.

though i do not like my wife's 99 300, i must admit it's a solid car and those engines are very reliable. something's not right.....

will not cost you 3000 to replace engine head gasket. i don't know where you at, but around here, we have greg's japanese auto, that's a place to do this at. or a known reliable independent. my guess is job should cost you around 8-900 bucks. you prolly need to do timing belt and water pump same time, it's should be parts only, as they will have to remove all this anyway.

i am very hesitant to trust that opinion, btw. misfiring in cylinders is usually either bad plugs, or timing issues, or one of the sensors. coughing is normally a sign of backfiring, and that is definitely timing issue.

what you need to do, and i am trying to save you a lot of money, is to get it to a place like greg's, have solid testing done, problem pinpointed, and then estimate looked at.

reason i mentioned engine head gasket is because it may be a possible cause for internal oil leak. how your mechanics determined there's leak, i have no idea. spark plugs fouled with oil are usually caused by bad valve cover seals. i have gut feeling, you are being taken for a ride, hence, 1st stpe is to have proper diagnostics done, not just Joe give his opinion.

though i do not like my wife's 99 300, i must admit it's a solid car and those engines are very reliable. something's not right.....

Thank you so much for the info I do believe I am being taken for ride a just want to keep my suv I do love it. I live in orlando florida is there any place you can recommend. or is there somewhere online I can purchase a used or new engine. I truly need some help I am clueless when it comes to cars and I hate the fact that I have to trust these mechanics to tell me whats wrong.