Iphone And Latest Nav Sofware

Hi,

This has been discussed before to some degree, but not quite resolved. Anyone with an early 2010 RX45h knows that support for the iPhone is lacking at best. At first, when I plugged it in, I got the "unsupported device" message on the phone, but was still able to play music on it, but the menus did not work well (when scrolling, it selected the song at the top of the list and played it immediately, making scrolling impossible). After one of my iPhone software updates, the phone stopped working at all (the USB option stays dimmed out).

In some of the previous messages, it came out that there was a software update that was applied at the factory that solved the scrolling problem. I asked my dealer to look into the update, and while it addresses problems, they have to order a USB and will charge me $200+ to get and install it. Before I decide whether or not I want to go ahead, I'd appreciate if some someone can answer the following:

1: Can anyone conform that they have the iPhone working properly on their audio system?

2: Were there any other improvements to the nav/audio software in the 2011 model, and if so, is the hardware in my 2010 model able to use this latest software?

I'd ask my dealer, but I honestly don't think they have a clue about any of this, and will say yes if they think I'll pony up the money for the upgrade.

Thanks,

Roch

When we bought our 06 RX400h, we signed up with a service that evaluates cell phones for compatibility with the RX's bluetooth functions and such. They provide a list of compatible phones if requested. It sounds like that type of service is not available to you but it does come in handy. I haven't used them for a while now since both my HTC HD7 (Windows Mobile 7) phone and my wife's Samsung Highlight work very well with the functions we require (basic stuff).

Hopefully, you'll get the answers you are looking for. Does anything else work - calling, receiving calls, etc?

When we bought our 06 RX400h, we signed up with a service that evaluates cell phones for compatibility with the RX's bluetooth functions and such. They provide a list of compatible phones if requested. It sounds like that type of service is not available to you but it does come in handy. I haven't used them for a while now since both my HTC HD7 (Windows Mobile 7) phone and my wife's Samsung Highlight work very well with the functions we require (basic stuff).

Hopefully, you'll get the answers you are looking for. Does anything else work - calling, receiving calls, etc?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The Bluetooth part works quite well (have to re-discover a few times a year) and have no complaints. The phone is also essentially an iPod so I can also connect it via the USB connector to the audio system. Thats where the issue is. Technically, the iPhone 4 is not a supported iPod, however for a long time, the only problem I had was the occasional message on the phone saying it was not connected to a supported device. After a recent iPhone update, the iPod functionality stopped working altogether. I was hoping someone with a newer 2010 or 2011 RX would have tried connecting and would be able to report results, particularly since the software was updated mid year last year which solved some of the issues. You would think that they would automatically apply the software revision rather than ask me to pay $200+ for it after just one year with the car.

As I said, my dealer is ok at service, but not stellar. I don't think asking them anything technical will get a straight answer. They seem good at making an oil change become a $500 extravaganza of preventative maintenance and whatnot, but they can't be bothered to even replace the oil change reminder sticker on the windshield (a pet peeve of mine), let alone know about nav software versions and upgrades.

Cheers,

Roch

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The Bluetooth part works quite well (have to re-discover a few times a year) and have no complaints. The phone is also essentially an iPod so I can also connect it via the USB connector to the audio system. Thats where the issue is. Technically, the iPhone 4 is not a supported iPod, however for a long time, the only problem I had was the occasional message on the phone saying it was not connected to a supported device. After a recent iPhone update, the iPod functionality stopped working altogether. I was hoping someone with a newer 2010 or 2011 RX would have tried connecting and would be able to report results, particularly since the software was updated mid year last year which solved some of the issues. You would think that they would automatically apply the software revision rather than ask me to pay $200+ for it after just one year with the car.

As I said, my dealer is ok at service, but not stellar. I don't think asking them anything technical will get a straight answer. They seem good at making an oil change become a $500 extravaganza of preventative maintenance and whatnot, but they can't be bothered to even replace the oil change reminder sticker on the windshield (a pet peeve of mine), let alone know about nav software versions and upgrades.

Cheers,

Roch

I have a 2011 GX & my iPhone works fine when used with the Bluetooth for the phone or when plugged into the USB for iPod.

Gayle