Watch Dvd's While Driving

drb

Does anyone know if this is the same wiring by pass for 2007 with the new Nav system?????

Same question, except for a new LX470!

Also, as for the Nav system, Honda has the most top notch nav system I've ever used. They trust you enough to let you mess with it while the car is moving. Also, Toyota and Honda had Alpine and Eclipse (respectively) develop their nav systems, so that's why they're less over-engineered than the German system (designed by people who read about human beings from a book).

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if this is the same wiring by pass for 2007 with the new Nav system?????

Same question, except for a new LX470!

Just updated DVD Navigation maps disk on my 2004 LX470 and Nav override stopped working. Any idea what's the new key sequence is?

• 3 months later...
I spoke with Lexus Hq about their Navigation system and its faults. Such as not understanding verbal commands, incorrect directions, trace being the same color as the route (blue on blue), mileage scale difficult to read (small), alpha numeric keyboard rather than a typewriter or computer keyboard, and the inability to program destination and POI, even when a passenger is on board and able to imput the system. The latter being my major complaint. I explain to them that I could manipulate the screen in many ways, but not the most important screens.

They were vere sympathic, but were adament that they would not disclose the wire imputing the cutoff signal and further stated that if I found it or the lexus dealer found it and cut it, the warranty would be voided. In this lituious society, Lexus is concerned about litigation, and I can't fault them for that. but, I think it is overkill when they prevent the owner from modifying the system by voiding the warranty. It seems to me that Lexus could have placed a sensor in the passenger seat that would have let the passenger make the appropiate destination and POI changes. I also told them that having to agree that safety was important each time the system was engage questioned the intelligence of the user. After this conversation with Lexus I wondered why they even bothered to show any information on the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion.

By the way, I did solve the navigation problem on our last trip: I bought my wife a map!

I truely wish that Lexus would be more relaxed about this as well.

however, i can absolutely and totally understand their decision.

Lexus could have install a passenger sensor or something. but why? honestly place yourself in their shoes. why would you spend more $$ and effort toward this when you don't have to. by going the extra mile, you are presenting more points of failure and potentially more litigations. it just isn't worth it.

disclaimer screen and telling the owners not to cut wires "may" be enough to cover their butts. but if they can show the court that they went as far as voiding the warranty in order to stop people from doing the mod would be gigantic plus for them in litigation. and it doesn't even cost them a penny to do it.

it's simple economics. it just make sense for them NOT to do this.

i do think it's shame that we can't do more about this. but i absolutely can't fault them at all. i would have done the same thing.

besides, in my opinion, Lexus' nav still is one of the better ones (factory or aftermarket) out there. i've had nav systems from bimmer, merc, porsche, garmin and lexus. i'd rate lex's system close to the top.

D.J.

A kind reply to DJ: :)

I understand your point fully; do everything you can to avoid litigation!

The McDonald Corporation (golden arches) places a warning on all their coffee cups that the beverage is hot. This warning was placed there because of a multimillion dollar suit that was won by a person that ordered coffee, drove away and spilled the coffee in their lap; they did burned some very delicate areas!

To extend the lunacy of this suit, I wonder why car makers put cup holders in their cars, since they have lead me to believe that my hot coffee will be safe in their holder and will not fall in my lap...and why not put govenors on our cars so we cannot exceed speed limits or require a test on the owners manual before we can drive our cars. Better still put a lawyer in the back seat to protect their interests...All Rediculous!

I think that we expect too much from others to take care of us. There is something called personal responsibility that adults should understand. We should know there are hazzards out there and we should take care of ourselves. Not look to somebody else to do it, or the real catchall: the government.

Yes, I do object to that safety warning and I would like to make changes to MY automobile without the manufacturer penalizing me.

I apologize for this dissertation, I'm an old guy that been around for 77 years and have seen progress impeded by rediculous product liability litigation and frivioulous suits.:cries:

Sorry to bring this back from the dead (i was searching "navigation" and was reading this) BUT the person did not win the suit because the coffee was simply "too hot" and being frivilous.

They won the suit because McDonalds was serving coffee KNOWINGLY TOO HOT that if exposed to human skin would produce 3RD DEGREE BURNS UPON CONTACT. Now why were they doing this? Because most people bought the coffee and really didn't begin to drink it until they got to work, by then it was "cold" by most coffee drinkers standards.

So they began to serve it too hot and it worked, for a while until it spilled and did the damage it did to the plantiff. McDonalds was penalized accordingly for this in my opinion. How would you have like to have happened to you?

Now i'm no lawyer but i do believe this was a good suit.

Sorry for the outburst, but this case always hit home with me when i learned the REAL facts about it at business school.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
I just made the DVD bypass on my 2002 LX470 and it only took about 20 minutes. It works great now. The only hard part was getting the dash panel out. I had never attempted anything like this before, but after I did it I found it was actually very simple. I also added a simple toggle switch discretely below the dash that I wired from the two ends of the lavender wire so that I can "re-connect" the speed sensor if I need to demonstrate that the dvd won't operate while driving. This is fantastic. I have been listening to DVD's for 2 years now, now my wife and kids can watch while we drive. I am a hero in my house. Thanks for the great advice.

CAN THIS WORK ON MY 2003 LX470 AND IF SO HOW THANK YOU

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
this information has been posted earlier but is worth repeating. while this information works for lx470's up to 2002, it is up to you to check if the wiring for your vehicle is the same. you can watch dvd's on the navigation screen with a simple 15 minute fix. pull the wood panel off from the center of the dash. there are two clips towards the outside of the top of the panel and two about 6 inches down on the sides. remove the electric clock connection on the bottom of the panel and set aside. remove the four screws holding the navigation screen. behind the temp up and down button there is a grey connector. locate and cut the violet wire 2" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off these wires. this elimimate the speed sensor turning off the video. in the same connector, locate and cut the red wire with the white stripe 4-5" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off the end that goes to the wiring harness. strip the end coming from the unit and ground it to the top left screw holding the unit in the metal frame. this simulates the emergency brake being on. slip everthing back together and only watch videos while moving ONLY IF YOU ARE THE PASSENGER! many thanks to sal who posted this back in february of 2002. by the way i e-mailed doctor bypass on ebay to ask him what his makes his $95. unit better than this free fix and got no reply.

Please excuse my ignorance. My 2006 IS250 AWD w/ Nav has an in-dash 6 CD changer and the map DVD player which is hidden behind a face plate. It is not readily accessible. The faceplate has to be removed with tools to change out the map DVD (which I had my dealer do recently - cost $318 + tax!). The CD changer doesn't play DVD's. Can you watch DVD's with this system? Thanks.

this information has been posted earlier but is worth repeating. while this information works for lx470's up to 2002, it is up to you to check if the wiring for your vehicle is the same. you can watch dvd's on the navigation screen with a simple 15 minute fix. pull the wood panel off from the center of the dash. there are two clips towards the outside of the top of the panel and two about 6 inches down on the sides. remove the electric clock connection on the bottom of the panel and set aside. remove the four screws holding the navigation screen. behind the temp up and down button there is a grey connector. locate and cut the violet wire 2" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off these wires. this elimimate the speed sensor turning off the video. in the same connector, locate and cut the red wire with the white stripe 4-5" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off the end that goes to the wiring harness. strip the end coming from the unit and ground it to the top left screw holding the unit in the metal frame. this simulates the emergency brake being on. slip everthing back together and only watch videos while moving ONLY IF YOU ARE THE PASSENGER! many thanks to sal who posted this back in february of 2002. by the way i e-mailed doctor bypass on ebay to ask him what his makes his $95. unit better than this free fix and got no reply.

Please excuse my ignorance. My 2006 IS250 AWD w/ Nav has an in-dash 6 CD changer and the map DVD player which is hidden behind a face plate. It is not readily accessible. The faceplate has to be removed with tools to change out the map DVD (which I had my dealer do recently - cost $318 + tax!). The CD changer doesn't play DVD's. Can you watch DVD's with this system? Thanks.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have any information on how to work the "fix" for the DVD playing while in motion for the 2007 RX400h with the 5th gen Nav system and DVD player? Either through a key sequence or other method?

Thanks,

Mike

Did you find how to play a dvd while the car is in motion?

I also have the 2007 Lexus RX400h

Let me know if you have find it out or find anything else out

Sylvain

• 7 months later...

Now a days people are using the Car DVD player in which you can see the Movies and songs while you are driving the car.But for the Driver it is Dangerous thing to watch the DVD.If the back Seater are watching the Movie then its ok but I think the Driver should not take the risk to watch it.Its for the entertainment purpose to pass your Time while you are travelling.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Aren't you guys distracted by the movies playing up front? Used to do it, but i found myself taking my eyes off the road and often didn't realize i often i did that.