Watch Dvd's While Driving

drb

this information has been posted earlier but is worth repeating. while this information works for lx470's up to 2002, it is up to you to check if the wiring for your vehicle is the same. you can watch dvd's on the navigation screen with a simple 15 minute fix. pull the wood panel off from the center of the dash. there are two clips towards the outside of the top of the panel and two about 6 inches down on the sides. remove the electric clock connection on the bottom of the panel and set aside. remove the four screws holding the navigation screen. behind the temp up and down button there is a grey connector. locate and cut the violet wire 2" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off these wires. this elimimate the speed sensor turning off the video. in the same connector, locate and cut the red wire with the white stripe 4-5" from the unit. shrink wrap or tape off the end that goes to the wiring harness. strip the end coming from the unit and ground it to the top left screw holding the unit in the metal frame. this simulates the emergency brake being on. slip everthing back together and only watch videos while moving ONLY IF YOU ARE THE PASSENGER! many thanks to sal who posted this back in february of 2002. by the way i e-mailed doctor bypass on ebay to ask him what his makes his $95. unit better than this free fix and got no reply.

• 2 months later...

I just made the DVD bypass on my 2002 LX470 and it only took about 20 minutes. It works great now. The only hard part was getting the dash panel out. I had never attempted anything like this before, but after I did it I found it was actually very simple. I also added a simple toggle switch discretely below the dash that I wired from the two ends of the lavender wire so that I can "re-connect" the speed sensor if I need to demonstrate that the dvd won't operate while driving. This is fantastic. I have been listening to DVD's for 2 years now, now my wife and kids can watch while we drive. I am a hero in my house. Thanks for the great advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on how to do this mod to my 2006 GS430 nav/dvd? Also, I've done a few sound systems in my day but im scared to start removing the nav/dvd surrounding face pices. Any clue on how or where to go to find out how so I dont damage anything?

Thanks!

i did it!

last night i did the wire cut and bypass on my '02 LX470.

it took all of 20 minutes and 15 was spent on popping out the wood trim panel.

i'd have to say that it made me nervious to cut wires on multi$$$ nav.

but now that it works, it is absolutely fantastic.

i should have done this when i first got the car.

D.J.

• 1 month later...
I just made the DVD bypass on my 2002 LX470 and it only took about 20 minutes.  It works great now.  The only hard part was getting the dash panel out.  I had never attempted anything like this before, but after I did it I found it was actually very simple.  I also added a simple toggle switch discretely below the dash that I wired from the two ends of the lavender wire so that I can "re-connect" the speed sensor if I need to demonstrate that the dvd won't operate while driving.  This is fantastic.  I have been listening to DVD's for 2 years now, now my wife and kids can watch while we drive.  I am a hero in my house.  Thanks for the great advice.

Does anyone know WHERE the actual Speed Sensor Unit is? Could it just be UNPLUGGED so those of us afraid of wire cutting could do this too?

I just made the DVD bypass on my 2002 LX470 and it only took about 20 minutes.  It works great now.  The only hard part was getting the dash panel out.  I had never attempted anything like this before, but after I did it I found it was actually very simple.  I also added a simple toggle switch discretely below the dash that I wired from the two ends of the lavender wire so that I can "re-connect" the speed sensor if I need to demonstrate that the dvd won't operate while driving.  This is fantastic.  I have been listening to DVD's for 2 years now, now my wife and kids can watch while we drive.  I am a hero in my house.  Thanks for the great advice.

Does anyone know WHERE the actual Speed Sensor Unit is? Could it just be UNPLUGGED so those of us afraid of wire cutting could do this too?

The sensor you speak of has several uses not just for the DVD so it cannot be removed, if you did your cars computer would laugh at you. I'm working on this problem with a few advances but nothing worth posting yet. I will post any positive findings. BTW, there will be a charge of $500 bucks for this info.

Kidding!!!! :whistles: I will post for free :)

The sensor you speak of has several uses not just for the DVD so it cannot be removed, if you did your cars computer would laugh at you. I'm working on this problem with a few advances but nothing worth posting yet. I will post any positive findings. BTW, there will be a charge of $500 bucks for this info.

To What sensor are you referring?

On the RX330, 2005, Multi Display, pin 7, purple(not purple and white) is known as the data link on the

wiring drawing on p. 382, LEXUS Navigation System and LEXUS Parking Assist

This is the only line that I can find that might carry the VSS signal. All that I want to do is program the system without stopping the car!

I tried applying the parking brake (one or two clicks) but that wouln't let me progam the unit. I am tempted to clip this wire and see the results.

Any one got any Ideas on this modification?

unemou@hotmail.com

Kidding!!!! :whistles: I will post for free :)

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Lexus Hq about their Navigation system and its faults. Such as not understanding verbal commands, incorrect directions, trace being the same color as the route (blue on blue), mileage scale difficult to read (small), alpha numeric keyboard rather than a typewriter or computer keyboard, and the inability to program destination and POI, even when a passenger is on board and able to imput the system. The latter being my major complaint. I explain to them that I could manipulate the screen in many ways, but not the most important screens.

They were vere sympathic, but were adament that they would not disclose the wire imputing the cutoff signal and further stated that if I found it or the lexus dealer found it and cut it, the warranty would be voided. In this lituious society, Lexus is concerned about litigation, and I can't fault them for that. but, I think it is overkill when they prevent the owner from modifying the system by voiding the warranty. It seems to me that Lexus could have placed a sensor in the passenger seat that would have let the passenger make the appropiate destination and POI changes. I also told them that having to agree that safety was important each time the system was engage questioned the intelligence of the user. After this conversation with Lexus I wondered why they even bothered to show any information on the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion.

By the way, I did solve the navigation problem on our last trip: I bought my wife a map!

I spoke with Lexus Hq about their Navigation system and its faults. Such as not understanding verbal commands, incorrect directions, trace being  the same color as the route (blue on blue), mileage scale difficult to read (small), alpha numeric keyboard rather than a typewriter or computer keyboard, and the inability to program destination and POI, even when a passenger is on board and able to imput the system. The latter being my major complaint. I explain to them that I could manipulate the screen in many ways, but not  the most important screens.

They were vere sympathic, but were adament that they would not disclose the wire imputing the cutoff signal and further stated that if I found it or the lexus dealer found it and cut it, the warranty would be voided. In this lituious society, Lexus is concerned about litigation, and I can't fault them for that. but, I think it is overkill when they prevent the owner from modifying the system by voiding the warranty. It seems to me that Lexus could have placed a sensor in the passenger seat that would have let the passenger make the appropiate destination and POI changes. I also told them that having to agree that safety was important each time the system was engage questioned the intelligence of the user. After this conversation with Lexus I wondered why they even bothered to show any information on the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion.

By the way, I did solve the navigation problem on our last trip: I bought my wife  a map!

I truely wish that Lexus would be more relaxed about this as well.

however, i can absolutely and totally understand their decision.

Lexus could have install a passenger sensor or something. but why? honestly place yourself in their shoes. why would you spend more $$ and effort toward this when you don't have to. by going the extra mile, you are presenting more points of failure and potentially more litigations. it just isn't worth it.

disclaimer screen and telling the owners not to cut wires "may" be enough to cover their butts. but if they can show the court that they went as far as voiding the warranty in order to stop people from doing the mod would be gigantic plus for them in litigation. and it doesn't even cost them a penny to do it.

it's simple economics. it just make sense for them NOT to do this.

i do think it's shame that we can't do more about this. but i absolutely can't fault them at all. i would have done the same thing.

besides, in my opinion, Lexus' nav still is one of the better ones (factory or aftermarket) out there. i've had nav systems from bimmer, merc, porsche, garmin and lexus. i'd rate lex's system close to the top.

D.J.

I spoke with Lexus Hq about their Navigation system and its faults. Such as not understanding verbal commands, incorrect directions, trace being  the same color as the route (blue on blue), mileage scale difficult to read (small), alpha numeric keyboard rather than a typewriter or computer keyboard, and the inability to program destination and POI, even when a passenger is on board and able to imput the system. The latter being my major complaint. I explain to them that I could manipulate the screen in many ways, but not  the most important screens.

By the way, I did solve the navigation problem on our last trip: I bought my wife  a map!

Lexus could have install a passenger sensor or something. but why? honestly place yourself in their shoes. why would you spend more $$ and effort toward this when you don't have to. by going the extra mile, you are presenting more points of failure and potentially more litigations. it just isn't worth it.

disclaimer screen and telling the owners not to cut wires "may" be enough to cover their butts. but if they can show the court that they went as far as voiding the warranty in order to stop people from doing the mod would be gigantic plus for them in litigation. and it doesn't even cost them a penny to do it.

i do think it's shame that we can't do more about this. but i absolutely can't fault them at all. i would have done the same thing.

besides, in my opinion, Lexus' nav still is one of the better ones (factory or aftermarket) out there. i've had nav systems from bimmer, merc, porsche, garmin and lexus. i'd rate lex's system close to the top.

D.J.

D.J.

A kind reply to DJ: :)

I understand your point fully; do everything you can to avoid litigation!

The McDonald Corporation (golden arches) places a warning on all their coffee cups that the beverage is hot. This warning was placed there because of a multimillion dollar suit that was won by a person that ordered coffee, drove away and spilled the coffee in their lap; they did burned some very delicate areas!

To extend the lunacy of this suit, I wonder why car makers put cup holders in their cars, since they have lead me to believe that my hot coffee will be safe in their holder and will not fall in my lap...and why not put govenors on our cars so we cannot exceed speed limits or require a test on the owners manual before we can drive our cars. Better still put a lawyer in the back seat to protect their interests...All Rediculous!

I think that we expect too much from others to take care of us. There is something called personal responsibility that adults should understand. We should know there are hazzards out there and we should take care of ourselves. Not look to somebody else to do it, or the real catchall: the government.

Yes, I do object to that safety warning and I would like to make changes to MY automobile without the manufacturer penalizing me.

I apologize for this dissertation, I'm an old guy that been around for 77 years and have seen progress impeded by rediculous product liability litigation and frivioulous suits. :cries:

• 3 weeks later...
Any word on how to do this mod to my 2006 GS430 nav/dvd? Also, I've done a few sound systems in my day but im scared to start removing the nav/dvd surrounding face pices. Any clue on how or where to go to find out how so I dont damage anything?

Thanks!

no kidding any replies yet? I have 06 gs300 and want to be able to view dvd's as well when driving for passengers and grandkids etc.. any word yet , any ideas ,even suggestions as yet? thanx

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...