Consumer Reports Has Some Negatives On The 2007 Rx350

Hi all,

I'm very close to trading in my 2003 SC430 for a certified pre-owned 2007 RX350. However, the Consumer Reports used car buying guide is giving me a little pause--it gives poor marks to the body integrity and audio system. These problems do not seem as evident in the 2008 models--wondering if it would be worth the extra money to get an 2008 instead? Thanks!

Consumer reports reviewing vehicles is like Car and Driver reviewing appliances, except Car and Driver has the sense to not review appliances.

haha- good way to put it!

There isn't a single difference between the 07 and 08 model. Literally, nothing. <_< Same for 09.

Consumer reports reviewing vehicles is like Car and Driver reviewing appliances, except Car and Driver has the sense to not review appliances.

Your comment pretty much sums it up. I could not have put it any better myself.

Your comment pretty much sums it up. I could not have put it any better myself.

I'm sure you're gonna love it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned both a 2002 RX300 and a 2009 RX350 (purchased new 12/08).

In my opinion, the 2009 RX350 (probably almost identical to the 2007) is an excellent interstate car. It is quiet, very comfortable, reasonably fuel effecient, and has excellent utility (family oriented cargo carrying ability). On the down side, and these are major issues with respect to my interests, it handles like crap. It feels very top heavy and just does not have a precise tight feel to it (the RX300 was much better). On an intersate it is outstanding. We visited some friends last summer in the mountains in SW North Carolina (Cashiers) and it was not a rewarding vehicle to drive on narrow roads with a lot of turns. Also, and this is major to my wife and I but probably insignificant to most others, the nav system sucks. It also is not fitted out as nice as the RX300 was. For example, the RX300 had much nicer/softer leather and the seats were more comfortable (although the RX350 seats are still good). The RX350 has more sleeker styling than the RX300 but this came at the expense of reduced side visibility and less headroom above the doors making entry more of an experience for someone with back issues( especially neck).

Bottom line, in my opinion, if your the type of person that prefers a heavy comfortable vehicle that does a really good job on mostly straight well paved roads, and is not into the electronic bells and whistles, the RX350 is a really good choice. If your more into getting statisfaction from a vehicle that has good tight precise handling and electronics that are designed to provide good functionality for the user, a BMW X5 or X3 is a much better choice.

That being said, when it comes time to replace our RX350, I do not know what we will do. My wife, although acknowledging the short commings, does not care so much about how the car handles, overall really likes it, and does not like the appearance of the X3 (even though we also have a BMW Roadster now). She will strongly lean towards another Lexus RX. I, on the otherhand, am disproportionaly insulted Toyota allowed me to pay $2400 for a nav system that does not allow me to use it when underway - single issue but major *BLEEP* me off impact. I also do not enjoy driving it; it reminds me of the feel of my dad's 1964 heavy metal Buick Electra. I am done with Toyota products and really want an X3.

For $189 you can fix the navigation problem with no wire cutting....I too have owned both, and yes visability is worst in the rear quarters, however our RX400 has a backup camera. Steering is a vast improvement over the RX300, It turns much tighter..Handling seems fine, we have the optional 18inch wheels on the RX400.

You really think your Rx300 handled better than your Rx350??

I had an 03 Rx300 AWD and currently have an Rx400h AWD, basically the same handling as the Rx350... and I have to say the Rx400h handles MUCH better than my Rx300 did. I found the Rx300 to be more top heavy around cornering at least in comparison to what I'm driving now. The Rx400h is certainly no BMW when it comes to handling, but I find it to be better than the Rx300. The newer Rx does have wider tires which help a lot.

And I do agree that the leather quality in the 04-09 Rx's is poor in comparison to that used in the Rx300; the newer Rx leather is quite "hard" in comparison and isn't as plush, and I notice a huge difference when conditioning the leather; in my Rx400h (same leather used in Rx350) the conditioner tends to "bead up" on the leather whereas in my Rx300 the conditioner would quickly be absorbed. I believe the newer leather has more protective coatings which make it more resistant to the elements, but don't allow it to be conditioned to make it soft. I also agree that the seats in the Rx300 were much more comfortable. My guess is that Lexus was trying to make the seats feel sportier, similar to those used in SUV's of BMW or Mercedes.

Did you have nav in the Rx300? I did, and I can say the nav in the 07-09 Rx's is a HUGE upgrade in terms of screen quality and function. Lexus has never made a nav sytem that allows you to use it while driving... but you can get the kit to make it work. Besides this little issue the Lexus navigation system is one of (if not he best) systems out there, being the easiest to operate.

RhoXS, when it's time for you to replace, I would guess you would want a newer model. The 2010+ RX350 is a new generation. One thing they did was change the rear suspension to a multi link setup instead of a strut setup (so I was told, I never actually looked when I had a 2011 RX350 loaner last week). I will say that I thought the loaner handled better than my RX400h, but it had 11000 KM on it vs 150000km on my RX. The new interior was very nice as well. All I can say is test drive it before you buy a small, cramped X3.

The NAV system still can't be used when driving, BUT the vehicle seems to recognize voice commands on the newer model better than on the previous model. I have given up on voice commands in my RX because it doesn't recognize 95% of what I say. The loaner vehicle was much better in understanding the words.

• 3 months later...

Are you joking? consumer reports is THE source for reliability ratings, I suspect you've never actually read the magazine if you think they don't know what they're talking about.

I have a 2007 RX350, yesterday the driver side rear window molding flew off on the highway...so I would say yes, Consumer Reports is spot on when they say bad body integrity.

My advice? stay away from the whole Rx350, it's a piece of crap. go Acura, Benz, BMW all better in soooooo many ways.

My advice? stay away from the whole Rx350, it's a piece of crap. go Acura, Benz, BMW all better in soooooo many ways.

And you still have your rx350 why?

• 2 months later...

:lol:

Are you joking? consumer reports is THE source for reliability ratings, I suspect you've never actually read the magazine if you think they don't know what they're talking about.

I have a 2007 RX350, yesterday the driver side rear window molding flew off on the highway...so I would say yes, Consumer Reports is spot on when they say bad body integrity.

Again, what I don't understand is why you still own this car? Good luck with the electrical on the beamer !!

A quote that was totally meant for you follows:

"WAAAAAAAH!!! I have 100,000 miles on my car and I have to fix something! ROFLMAO!"