Cvt & Rear Differential Fluid

Not a bad idea with using one of the rear magnetic plugs on the tranny. Does anyone know the torque on the transmission and rear diff plugs? I had to guess by touch, which I would rather not have to do again.

Not a bad idea with using one of the rear magnetic plugs on the tranny. Does anyone know the torque on the transmission and rear diff plugs? I had to guess by touch, which I would rather not have to do again.

post-115637-0-48723000-1382613125_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am planning to do drain and refill using ATF WS oil for my 2006 RX400H. I have a quick question. Can I do it without using ramps or the jack stands to have level surface? What do you guys use for refilling the liquid? A manual pump?

I have 55K miles right now and live in desert area. Want to do this first time. Also, can I just refill and drain the brake fluid from the reservoir? Or the full flush recommended at the dealer?

I used a manual pump. I fit under my car without ramps, but some may find it tight.

I checked the clearance under the car. I think I can remove the nuts without the ramps but I am wondering how to refill the fluid as there is not much space.

lenore, can you please give a link online what type of manual pump you used?

• 2 weeks later...

so I did the ATF drain and fill today. It went smooth. Took 4 qts total.

I also did the brake fluid drain and fill from the reservoir.

I did not find where the power steering fluid is.. Do you know where it is?

• 1 year later...

So do our hybrid transmission have a transmission filter like the non hybrid Automatic Transmissions? I have read bad things about just doing a flush and not dropping the pan and replacing the filter, but im not sure that applies to our cars as they are the hybrid version and have CVT transmissions?

As far as I know they do not have filter, but have never seen a breakdown in the hybrid system. Many Honda cars also do not have a filter. So that is why I find changing the fluid beneficial. The power steering is electric, no fluid involved.

Lenmore, one more follow up. I think im getting thrown off by terminology. In my manual Toyota/Lexus refers to a front and rear transaxel. In this thread and a few others I see Front Transmission and Rear Differential. On the hybrids is there really a differential? I know we dont have a transfer case. Is the breakdown as follows below? I have a 140k 2007 i just inherited from a family member that I know the fluid has never been changed.

Front Transmission - Toyota ATF WS 4qts

Rear Transmission (?) - Toyota ATF WS 2qts

Differential- do we even have one?

Thanks!

The RX400h all wheel drive has a rear motor/generator/gearbox as well as the front drive assembly.... If you have a Front wheel drive only RX400h there is only one gearbox/transmission. See the pictures at the beginning of this thread, it shows both front and rear gear/transmission. The correct hybrid name is that the front has a CVT drive gearbox. The rear is a motor/generator/gearbox. Yes those are the correct fluid amounts with a All Wheel Drive RX400h.

The RX400h all wheel drive has a rear motor/generator/gearbox as well as the front drive assembly.... If you have a Front wheel drive only RX400h there is only one gearbox/transmission. See the pictures at the beginning of this thread, it shows both front and rear gear/transmission. The correct hybrid name is that the front has a CVT drive gearbox. The rear is a motor/generator/gearbox. Yes those are the correct fluid amounts with a All Wheel Drive RX400h.

Thanks Lenmor I have an AWD highlander hybrid which shares the hybrid components (from what I have read).....

So we dont really have differenetials so no 75w90 fuilds or anyting like that? Just the ATF-WS fuild?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I actually ordered the rear magnetic plug and installed on the front tranny...

Sounds like a good idea - makes one wonder why they didn't do that at the factory, to start with....

Does anyone know the part # of the rear magnetic plug, or where I could look for that?