Can't Get Into Truck...

jsmith20

What are my options...

Have a locksmith manually open the trunk?

Take it to Lexus? Can the remote switch lock by unlocked with just a master key blank?

Get a new master key with remote, train it an unlock that way?

Resort to my .38 special?

I'm HOPING that there is a set of keys in the truck along with the floor mats...that would be GREAT!, but I won't know until I get it open, so I really don't want to spend much money on keys until I get the truck open.

Any thoughts would be great.

Oh yeah, when I joined this club I didn't think I would be one of the members that listed multiple LS's in their signature bar...but I just brougth home my 2nd last night...a 1999 Mystic Blue LS400-SF with 81000 miles :-)

Thanks,

Joel

Maybe open up the pass through door behind the rear seat arm rest and make some sort of stick and hook to pull the emergency unlatch cord inside the trunk...

I didn't realize there is a pass-through there...is it pretty obvious? Do I need to remove anything, or just "flip open" a door/panel?

Thanks,

Maybe open up the pass through door behind the rear seat arm rest and make some sort of stick and hook to pull the emergency unlatch cord inside the trunk...

I didn't realize there is a pass-through there...is it pretty obvious? Do I need to remove anything, or just "flip open" a door/panel?

Thanks,

It sounded too easy...I don't see a passthru on this car, am I missing something?

From the dealer here are my options.

A - jump the switch for the truck release - $95

I'm praying there is a master key in the truck

B - IF not, I will need to buy a master key (through the dealer it's ~$200)

C - THEN I supposedly need a new computer (which they said they may cover, not sure why, but that sounds expensive to just throw in)

D - Then it needs to be programmed...again $95 through the dealer

so in total (assuming a free computer) I'm looking at $400 - YIKES

What are your thoughts out there? If I only have a valet key, can I get a master key cut somewhere?

I'm pretty sure I can program the key myself...but do I really need to replace the computer if I get a new master key?

Thanks - Joel

Sorry to hear of your problems,I assume you knew about the missing master key before you purchased the car and why was the remote trunk release also locked?

Frankly I'd be worried what may be hidden in the trunk if you have never had it open! lol

Unless thing have changed the pull cord in the trunk located inside the first aid box is for the fuel filler flap manual release not the trunk release.

You also need the original master key to program additional keys so without it you will probably need the matching ECU for the new key.

Thanks Steve :-)

I did know about the lost key...didn't expect how big an issue it would be to get into my truck though or that I need an new or flashed ECU to program another key. The valet key doesn't have a transponder in it that will let me program the '96 fob I have?

You probably don't want to go the crowbar route, do you? Actually, I think your locksmith idea is the best. They would have it open in no time. Its that or park it in a bad section of town overnight. :P

About owning multiple Lexi...you're definitley hooked. Just like me.

You might want to look into joining AAA. I believe membership is about $50 per year and includes lock out service. It may be worth looking into.

I was able to remove the plug that is for the truck release and jumped the circuit...worked like a champ. I took me a good 30m to do it, but to do it again would be less than 10m...I get more and more cynical everytime I interact with the dealership...$95/10m work, I'm in the wrong business, however they didn't get mine, so I guess they priced themselves out of the market.

Now the booty. I was REALLY hoping to find OEM floor mats, two master keys, another valet key...but I found a couple mismatched mats and thats about it.

So now I need to solve the master key problem so I can unlock the trunk lock and have a remote that works with the car.

(FWiW - I tried programming my '96 key fob to my '99...but it didn't work. the dealership said I couldn't do it period, but will this work once I get a master key programmed to the car?)

Joel

You're probably going to have to take the hit and get the keys despite the cost. Its similar for domestic cars. You need two valid keys to program a 3rd. I've bought blank keys for a couple Fords on eBay, had them cut at hardware store for $1 and then programmed them in place on the car (not really programming its enrolling the key's electronic serial number into the car's ECU). The point is you have to start with two valid keys and follow a procedure to get the car into an enrollment mode and then it reads and saves the third key as new and valid. I got blanks for $10 each, $1 to cut them and dealer wanted $75 so I saved a bundle.

I am not sure Lexus is the same way but I suspect it is. Since you have no keys they have to do a reprogramming of the ECU with special tools only dealer has. Thus you're stuffed. Maybe try a Toyota dealer. They are often cheaper than Lexus dealers.

Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, it's a truNk, not a truCk. Just saying.

Thanks for pointing it out, do you know how to change the title? The edit button only allows me to edit the body of the post.

Anyway, back the to the issue at hand :-)

I have now contacted the last owner, the dealership the car was traded in to, the auction house, and again the dealer I bought the car from...I don't think there are many more places to look

I got some firm numbers from the dealer and here they are

2 master keys - 185x2 = $370

ECU - Lexus will cover the first replacement

Labor - I have to pay to replace the ECU and program, not sure how much that will be, but I'm guessing $200 isn't too high.

So through the local Lexus dealer I'm looking at $570+

So here is my real question...does anyone know the details of flashing the ECU?

I've read I can download freeware, buy a cable for my laptop and flash the ECU myself...is it that easy, or is it that easy to mess up the ECU?

If it is that easy, do I need 2 master keys like Lexus is saying I do, when I reflash/replace my ECU or can I just buy 1?

Thanks again for the help

• 1 month later...

Hello. I used to have the same problem with the trunk and i dont have the master key.To unlock the trunk you need to short the wires on the key lock for trunk( where you lock or unlock your trunk.I think on LS 95 and 96 there is no any chip in the key even in master only from 97 they add that staff.

• 4 months later...

I just got a used LS430 2004, and I just found out that I do not have master key. I locked my security lock, to find out that the key I have is the valet key. Help what do I do to get a key. Toyota charges $250 for the key, $123 to program it.

I just got a used LS430 2004, and I just found out that I do not have master key. I locked my security lock, to find out that the key I have is the valet key. Help what do I do to get a key. Toyota charges $250 for the key, $123 to program it.

Welcome to the club! Just a suggestion: this is an old thread, and in the future, you will likely get better responses by starting a new one.

I think Sewell Lexus is usually the least expensive place to get new keys. With the forum member discount, they sell a replacement master key with the slide-out part cut to your car's VIN for $122.27.

I've never owned a Lexus with a smart/electronic key before so I don't know much about programming them. But based on the attached instructions, it sounds like special equipment is required for your 04 LS 430 and new keys can't be programmed with a simple on-board procedure like on my older 98 LS 400. Programming a new master key may also require you currently have a working one.

Perhaps you have an independent locksmith in your area who has the special equipment necessary and could program your key. We have one like that here in Kansas City and he is much less expensive than the dealership. I know he also has the ability to reflash the car's computer and make a new master key even if all the others have been lost.

If you figure out that you won't need an existing master key to program a new one, or can find a locksmith that can do it without one, purchasing the new key from Sewell instead of your dealership would still save you over $120 based on the figures you provided.

Good luck!

LS430_keys.pdf