02 Es 300 Radio Connection

t31

The connection from my radio to my speakers will randomly come and go. I either have no radio sound or a perfectly clear connection. This happens regardless if I am using a CD or the radio. It is a Levinson system with Nav. I am afraid that if I start trying to get to the radio to look for loose connections that I will disable the security system.

Does anyone have a similar history and or thoughts on remedy?

The radio comes out fairly easily on your car. Use a butter knife or something similar to gently pry out the climate control panel from the sides. Behingd the panel you will see 2 bolts hiolding in the frame on the stereo unit. Take those bolts out and then you can pop out the stereo panel. Once it pops loose, gently slide the radio surround and radio outward. There is a little slack in the cables so you won't stress the connections while removing, but not too much so don't expect to be able to pull it too far.

Your problem may not necessarily be a bad wire or wiring problem, but that would be what I checked first. Make sure all of the plugs in the back of the radio for the power and CD changer are connected properly.

When your radio cuts out, do you lose the Navi display? Could also be a fuse for the head unit or the amp as well. Check wiring connections to the amp (unsure of the location on your car - although I should know since I have the same model.)

The radio comes out fairly easily on your car. Tilt the 2 center vents down and gently slide your finger tips under the vents. Using friction, press down on the edge of the vent plenum and pull the plastic surround outward. It should "pop" loose. Gently move the radio surround and radio outward. There is a little slack in the cables so you won't stress the connections while removing, but not too much so don't expect to be able to pull it too far.

Your problem may not necessarily be a bad wire or wiring problem, but that would be what I checked first. Make sure all of the plugs in the back of the radio for the power and CD changer are connected properly.

When your radio cuts out, do you lose the Navi display? Could also be a fuse for the head unit or the amp as well. Check wiring connections to the amp (unsure of the location on your car - although I should know since I have the same model.)

thanks for the feedback. I will try that.

No, the nav system and display remains constant. I do not loose power to that unit. That is why I think it may be a "main" speaker hookup" perhaps in the back of the radio unit. When I have sound it is fine through all the speakers so dont think it is "a" loose speaker wire.