New To Me Rx400H

Well after a interesting weekend and not enough compromise from Lexus on a CPO Car, found a RX400h which was 1 year newer, but had 88k miles on it. So We now have a 2008 with all of the same options except for the HIDS which dont track...AWD, Silver, Mark Levinson, premium package, and $5000 cheaper....And I must say the entire experience was extrememly pleasureable. Had to drive for 1 and half hours to see it but it is done...So I join your ranks after owning the RX300 for almost 13 years..(bought in November 1998) It goes on Craigs list this morning...So I know I am looking at timing belt coming up, and a lot of learning for this car..Any thoughts I still havent decided on the extended warranty, I bought it but can recind during the next 30 days with no penalties...Good to 150k or 6 years. The car was from Carmax whom i have never used, but I was extremely happy so far. So what maintenance should I be looking at in the near future? :) :)

Hey congratulations!! :cheers:

Glad you found one that you liked, i think you made a good choice going with an '08. <_< It appears a few of the known problems with the Rx400h were either fixed for '08 or start showing with "age" not necessarily with mileage.

88,000 miles isn't that bad- i've got close to 63,000 on mine with no big problems. I'm surprised that you say yours doesn't have HID headlamps though- i honestly thought the Rx400h couldn't be ordered without HID's. Especially since you say yours is AWD and has the Mark Lev system!! I thought for sure you'd get HID's w/ AFS in the package that gets you nav and ML.

And what extended warranty did you get? Is it through Lexus? I thought the extended Lexus warranty couldn't be purchased after the 50,000 miles point? :huh: Either way, i'd definitely have some type of extended warranty on it- the Rx400h is a reliable car, but if any of the hybrid components were to ever go out, it could be very costly! IMO it's just a nice thing to have... As long as the warranty you purchased would cover all of the hybrid components, i'd say KEEP IT!

And you must post some pictures!! B)

Well after a interesting weekend and not enough compromise from Lexus on a CPO Car, found a RX400h which was 1 year newer, but had 88k miles on it. So We now have a 2008 with all of the same options except for the HIDS which dont track...AWD, Silver, Mark Levinson, premium package, and $5000 cheaper....And I must say the entire experience was extrememly pleasureable. Had to drive for 1 and half hours to see it but it is done...So I join your ranks after owning the RX300 for almost 13 years..(bought in November 1998) It goes on Craigs list this morning...So I know I am looking at timing belt coming up, and a lot of learning for this car..Any thoughts I still havent decided on the extended warranty, I bought it but can recind during the next 30 days with no penalties...Good to 150k or 6 years. The car was from Carmax whom i have never used, but I was extremely happy so far. So what maintenance should I be looking at in the near future? :) :)

Would a battery change be a concern?

Hey finally got to look car over and clean up a little...It Does have Adaptive HIDS, I was mistaken...There is one thing that bothers me there is some oil below the cylinder head on a frame member, dont know if it was a spill or leak, guess I will have to clean it first. It is below the filler area down by the transmission...I will post a picture. Just below the radiator hose...Any thoughts...

post-12820-0-87628100-1298919442_thumb.j

I do know that it is almost impossible to clean up all the oil after an oil and filter change, so the oil you see could be left over from a recent O/F change.

But congratulations on your purchase. Personally, and based upon my experience with our 2006 RX400h, I'd have to say that there really aren't any "bugs" that needed to be fixed in latter model years. Lexus did an excellent job with this vehicle from the very beginning. That's why I was willing to be ona waiting list for one year. With gas prices creeping towards $4.00/gallon, I'm glad I did NOT go with the RX330 or RX350.

Do you have the maintenance records for the car?

You can go to: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home.do

and register your car using the VIN. Within minutes you can look up the entire service history containing everything done at ANY Lexus dealership.

Possibly oil spill from the last oil change from missing the oil fill hole. You'll notice the oil fill hole is hard to get at because of the air filter housing (i.e. it's low down) - without a funnel, you're almost guaranteed to spill.

The other thing I would check (because my 2006 is currently leaking inverter fluid from this location) is just past the rad hose in your picture, you can see a bolt with blue paint on it. There is another smaller coolant hose there. This is part of the hybrid cooling system (the inverter and electric motors are cooled using coolant), which is separate from the engine cooling system. Anyway, just below that bolt you'll notice a seam where the transaxle and engine mate. I know of two vehicles (mine and one other person who posted here or clublexus.com (I can't remember)) that had a leak of hybrid coolant at that seam (the exact same). I'm sure I have pics posted - just search for my posts and you'll see the location. Anyway, the Toyota pink coolant dries to a nice noticeable pink crust when it leaks and dries. Just have a quick peek there for pink coolant residue - you may need a flashlight to see the area.

Hey thanks, The residue down below is oilish, I know about the pink crust, my RX300 had a leak on the intake manifold and left a huge pile of the pinkish crust, I eventually pulled the manifold and replaced the gasket...and all was well. You know I am just a little nervous considering the higher mileage...88K...I checked toyota yesterday and they said they would change the belt and waterpump for $500...I would supply the waterpump and belt...(OEM parts).

Hey thanks, The residue down below is oilish, OEM parts).

I know the residue you're talking about is oilish. I'm just suggesting you check the spot I'm talking about to see if you're leaking hybrid coolant there. Just to be sure....

She's BEAUTIFUL!!! :cheers:

I definitely love the subtle changes made to the 08's such as the blue-tinted headlights and blue accented rear emblems- you made a good choice!