Radio / Speakers

JTF NJ

92 LS400 70k. Can a sterio lose its sound after after years? If so do I need to replace it or is there something I can do?

Also my pass front speaker is cracking. Does anyone know other than Lexus where to find a good one and are they hard to replace? I have done it on other cars but I don't want to ruin the door panel in any way. Any advice?

Thanks JTF :unsure:

The following website has great tutorials on how to remove the door panels, how to install an aftermarket radio, install aftermarket speakers, and on and on: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

If you want OEM speakers, register your forum member name at http://lexus.sewellparts.com for deep discounts.

not sure what you mean by lose its sound. Can it completely quit or degrade in sound quality? Well both are possible.

Speaker cones and the surround can get brittle and crack due to the intense summer heat. Voice coils can burn out due to over driving. Either problem usually means you have to replace the speaker.

Amplifiers have large electrolytic capacitors in the circuits (particularly power supply sections). These can dry out due to over heating over long period of time and degrade. This can lead to various problems but most concerning is noise riding on top of power supply rails to final power output stage. This adds distortion and noise to the audio.

When I said sound, I am talking about the difference in the music you used to get on the older radios when you pushed the sterio button. I am also comparing it to our 08 LS. Not fair, I am expecting to much. I just love the car..actually more than the 08. it has had less recalls!

Thank You for all your help. JTF

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this forum. Own a 96 LS400, bought it new. I'm hearing distortion from the Lexus/Nakamichi audio system. I plan on keeping this car for the foreseeable future. I don't have a clue where to start other than take it to the dealer. I'm thinking that better aftermarket systems exists today and I should investigate that avenue before spending more money at the Lexus store. Anyone else been down this road before? TIA for any and all advice / opinions.

Bob Helms