Battery Or Something Else 97 Es300

eodguy2

The 97es300 has been sittingfor let little over month waiting for daughter to start driving. Had started it couple times and no problem starting right up, running etc. couple weeks ago went out to start it after sitting couple weeks and battery dead. Charged up, started ran for bit. Waited 2 days stated right up. Waited 6 days and completly dead again. Should I get barry tested or think something else?

The 97es300 has been sittingfor let little over month waiting for daughter to start driving. Had started it couple times and no problem starting right up, running etc. couple weeks ago went out to start it after sitting couple weeks and battery dead. Charged up, started ran for bit. Waited 2 days stated right up. Waited 6 days and completly dead again. Should I get barry tested or think something else?

Ok, so much for doing some spell check. Opps

If your battery isn't one of the supposedly maintenance free ones, make sure the water level is correct -- top it up only with distilled water.

Are the battery terminals and cable clamps shiny and clean? I thought the battery in my LS was about shot a few months ago when it wouldn't start after sitting more than a couple of days. All it took was cleaning the battery terminals and cable clamps with a cute little tool made for the purpose - less than $5 at Autozone. Then I used a little baking soda, water, an old tooth brush and some elbow grease to remove the gunk the cleaning tool didn't get.

Be sure to use non-staining elbow grease. :whistles:

After reattaching the battery cable clamps, I applied a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the battery terminals and clamps to !Removed! corrosion. All of this must have worked since the battery has made it through most of an unusually cold winter.

Thanks ill try that was kinda of surprised as it just seemed to happen out of the blue as it has been starting right up and driving it every day since got it about 5 months ago, just been sitting now since got wife different car in anticipation for daughters 16 bday

Could be a combination of parasitic drain from the clock, etc. and a battery near the end of its useful life. Have you onfirmed that there isn't a light on somewhere? It wouldn't hurt to perform the maintenance per 1990LS400's suggestion. You could get an inline shutoff for one of the terminals to eliminate the drain (but then you have to reset all of your presets, etc.)