Rear Tire Wear

F-117

Recently purchased a '92 SC400. A few typical SC problems (burnt dash needles, LCD display issue on center console) but the major problem is rapid tire wear on the rear tires. Replaced all 4 after purchasing the car (stock tire size), but the inside treads of the rear tires were worn through quickly. The car noticeably squirms and shifts over road bumps at freeway speeds and has some squeaking that I first thought were shock issues. Wondering if replacing anything in the rear suspension could correct this problem. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I know exactly what you are refering to w/ it being squeemish, all over the road as if it was swaying back and forth..Along w/ going over dips and bumps in the road, it wants @times to change lanes.. I can tell you, no one seems to know what is wrong w/ my car..I've had it at the dealer and they said couldn't find anything wrong w/ it..My mechanic, who used to work for the dealer and opened his owned his own shop, said same thing..I took mine for an alignment and found a bad tie rod end that both places missed(how can that be overlooked?) and new front struts, upper control arms bushings, strut rod bushings,ball joints,rear carrier bushings, tranny mount bushings, motor mounts, new front tires and then the alignment..It still is doing the SAME thing and people looking at me like I'm crazy...So I let a few people drive it, to see if they notice what I did..Right of the bat my Mother did and before any comments on my Mother, she is 54 and learned to drive in a stock car-race car and is one of the better drivers on the road, and not a slow poke by far..My father felt it too as well as a couple friends..So, my point is the alignment should tell what is wrong but not always, thats truth and don't spend alot of trying to find the problem...I think I spent too much and thats why I wanted to reply to help keep you from going down the same road as I, I also have recently spoke to 2 people who have done exactly as I and are still having the same problem and 1 is an SC400 owner...If you find the problem and solution PLEASE let me know!! I'm about 2 steps from rolling mine off a cliff or i could just trade it in..but I like the dramatics of rolling it off a cliff...lol...Good Luck to you and Hope my info here will help you get to the problem w/OUT spending a lot of money and time.. Peace

Thanks for the info. Installed new shocks, new tires, had it aligned, but it still rides with the same effect of squirming over bumps at higher speed instead of just the usual road bump feel. Will advise if I find a great solution.

• 7 months later...

I had the same tire wear on my 92 SC400 and the Lexus mechanic advised me to replace all of the rubber bushings on the front and rear as they were really worn out. After I replaced the bushings I than took it bcak to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment. The same mechanic aligned the back wheels straight up (0 degrees offset) instead of to the factory specified offset. The factory offset the rear wheels for fast cornering. This is a good way to ruin an expensive set of tires. Lexus has got their heads in the toilet as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my GR Vitara in Nov 06 by July 07 the tire was worn dealer suggested need tire rotation. I paid $20 on 7/13/07 back at dealer in Jan 08 in ref to the tires wearing in back, dealer writes customer states rear passenger side tire worn abnormal, found vehicle tire may have has a lack of tire rotation and may need 4 wheel alignment. Replaced 4 tires in April 08 and paid out of pocket for a 4 wheel alignment , dealer replaced rear shocks (fluid leaking) stating that may have caused rear tires to wear May 08. Nov 08 rear tires worn replace new tire on front, front to rear by 5 months later tires are bald again. Plan on purchasing rear tires and pay out of pocket one more time for wheel alignment... Hope someone help us with this situation soon!!! i can't afford tires every 6 months they do not give you a chance to have them rotated....