Cleaning Exhaust Tips

Does anyone have any good ideas for cleaning the exhaust tips on the rear bumper of the LS460?

I have wondered the same thing re: the exstensions on the 2010 ES350. I can't determine if they are real chrome or another alloy. I would think the two cars tips would be made of the same material. Hopefully someone will chime in. If not I'll call my friend at the dealer.

Paul

Does anyone have any good ideas for cleaning the exhaust tips on the rear bumper of the LS460?

I have not had to do this on my Lexus, but I have exhaust stain problems on my airplane and have successfully used GO-JO nand cleaned with NO pumice

Apply to the exhaust stained area, let it sit for 5 minutes, then wipe off. May need a second application. Hope this helps

Allen

• Like 1

I use a product called Eagle One NevrDull. Its a wadding polish, so the can is packed with cotton wadding impregnated with the solution and you tear off a peice and use it to polish the tips, and then buff them off.

You can use any metal polish though.

• Like 1

I use a product called Eagle One NevrDull. Its a wadding polish, so the can is packed with cotton wadding impregnated with the solution and you tear off a peice and use it to polish the tips, and then buff them off.

You can use any metal polish though.

I'll see if I can find it as well. Need a product for my Volvo S80 too. Thanks my friend!

Here is what I did to finish the tips up, I went to Home Depot to and bought this...

412H503JNHL.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/paint-tools/3m/fine-to-medium-all-purpose-drywall-sanding-sponge-2-pack-78961.html

It made the project so much better and knocked them out in 45 min, (YTMV based on how bad your tips are) the sponge takes the build off without scathcing b/c it is a fine grit. You can sand in any direction to get them clean but once you get them clean, sand in the direction then removes the sanding patterns. Then I used Eagle One's Nevr-Dull to polish them up and ta-daaa!

Here are some pics.

Before & After

191362d1289673619-dirty-exhaust-tips-dirty-exhaust-tips.jpg

191363d1289673799-dirty-exhaust-tips-photo-3.jpg

191364d1289673799-dirty-exhaust-tips-photo-1.jpg

191365d1289673799-dirty-exhaust-tips-photo-2.jpg

191366d1289673799-dirty-exhaust-tips-photo-4.jpg

191441d1289774364-dirty-exhaust-tips-befre-and-after-tips-1.jpg

I use a non-abrasive product from TR Industries called Gel-Gloss...works on a variety of materials around the car and home including chrome and SS. Takes minimal elbow grease, and, cuts through road tar and exhaust stains in no time. It wipes off like a polish. Also-safe on the adjacent paint finish. I bought a $5 can (lifetime supply) at Home Depot in the Paint dept. Works great-good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Simichrome polish (same thing I use on my collector knives). It won't scratch the chrome but be sure to "tape off" the painted areas around the exhaust tips to prevent dulling the paint. I've had to clean mine twice and it's worked perfectly both times.