Pcv? Head Gasket?

lexlslove

Hello everyone.

Yesterday while driving to the gym, I heard a "pop" followed by the sudden loss if acceleration. i immediately pulled over to check under the hood. I noticed smoke coming out. So I went back to my house to look a little closer at it and noticed the smoke rising near the intake manifold as well as from under the car. It appeared to be leaking oil on to the muffler on the right side. Could this be a simple pcv replacement? If so can someone show me where exactly it's located?

Also there was no mixture of the oil and radiator fluid... if thath helps.

Hello everyone.

Yesterday while driving to the gym, I heard a "pop" followed by the sudden loss if acceleration. i immediately pulled over to check under the hood. I noticed smoke coming out. So I went back to my house to look a little closer at it and noticed the smoke rising near the intake manifold as well as from under the car. It appeared to be leaking oil on to the muffler on the right side. Could this be a simple pcv replacement? If so can someone show me where exactly it's located?

Also there was no mixture of the oil and radiator fluid... if thath helps.

Yeah, don't jump on the head gasket theory. Extremely unlikely. In cases like these look for very simple things such a vacuum line that popped off or as you mentioned PCV. The first order of troubleshooting would be to identify the source of the leaking oil and go from there.

Here is the location on 90-94 LS -> http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html

What year/mileage on your car? Were you WOT when the pop occurred?

That's goood. I've been trying to find the source of the leak but failed. There are leaks everywhere it seems like. Not to mention that I am aware of my powersteering leaking as well.

It's a 1993 LS400 with about 175K miles on it.

Sorry I am not familiar with WOT. WHat does that mean?

wide open throttle, pedal to the metal, ...

Yeah, sorry, WOT = Wide Open Throttle. IOW (In Other Words) did this "pop" occur while you were 'nailing' it (we all do it on occasion..love to hear that V8 wind up!). Why is that important to know? Helps because the pressures are much higher within the engine and might open up the possibilites of what actually happened. Remember that being 1000 miles away or more as many of us are, and trying to diagnose over the internet, is like trying to peer through a straw...so every little detail helps.

Well, it really sounds like you have some general maintenance to do. First off, the leaking PS should be addressed ASAP. The fluid can and will leak onto the alternator and cause that to fail. If you catch it in time, you may be spared the expense of a new/rebuilt alternator.

Second, if you have "leaks everywhere", you had better start identifying and fixing. Certain leaks may be tolerable but others may be foreboding of higher repairs to come. You mention white/blue smoke from the tailpipe. That could be PS fluid being sucked into your intake manifold. Very common problem.

Did you find the PCV intact? All vacuum lines still on? Not rotted?

yeah I switched out the pcv valve but broke the hose going to it. Looks like a 3 day order part from the dealer. So I haven't checked if that's the problem. But all the hoses appear to hold the vaccum.

About the smoke; I hadn't noticed any smoke from the exhaust before the other day, besides on cold start ups.

And yeah I'm going to get the PS fixed soon. I saw there is a tutorial for it on lexls.

I took my car to the mechanic and told me a few things. The most important of which he said was the that the catalytic converter was messed up. So he said to take it to a myffler place first.

Also it's leaking from the rack and pinion.

I took my car to the mechanic and told me a few things. The most important of which he said was the that the catalytic converter was messed up. So he said to take it to a myffler place first.

Also it's leaking from the rack and pinion.