Smell In Vehicle

i recently purchased a 2006 400H - 38,000 miles. We have had the vehilce for 1 week and noticed a terrible smell from the vehicle - like someone died- I left vehicle windows open in garage and in the morning i could detect the smell in the garage. It does not appear to be coming from the ducting. Changed cabin filter - no change. I am presently having vehicle detailed inside and will pick it up in next day or so. Has anyone had a similar problem?

thanks

k

Did you smell/check the carpets? Maybe they've gotten wet at some point in the past (clogged evaporator drain tube, clogged sunroof drain tubes, and...someone else on here had water leaking in the back (forget the reason - roof rack or something?)

Other possibility - check engine compartment carefully (I would also check air cleaner housing) and make sure some critter hasn't made a nest somewhere and conveniently expired. It's been known to happen.

Other possibility - check engine compartment carefully (I would also check air cleaner housing) and make sure some critter hasn't made a nest somewhere and conveniently expired. It's been known to happen.

This is what I am thinking too! If it smells like something is dead...it probably is. Could be a dead mouse or something that got in. Check everywhere..:under the hood too.

Now if it was wet carpets it would be more of a mildew smell...could be but I would think you could tell the difference.